Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alright, time to get this 4 banger to actually bang!

Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, time to get this 4 banger to actually bang!

So the 22RE is all together on my 86 4runner, but I can't get it to fire.. Timing is right, followed this video
for that.. I pulled the plugs and put starting fluid in there because while cranking it the plugs would be dry. With starting fluid it fired up for 3 seconds then died. So I'm guessing that it's my injectors somehow.

I get fuel to the fuel rail and cold start injector because disconnecting the lines, fuel squirts out. I'm guessing that means the pump is working? So what is up with the injectors?? The wires are on there...

Please and thank you YotaTEch!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:14 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
air intake fully on? vafm connected.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 AM

I didn't have the pipe going from the AFM to throttle body for some of my start up attempts as I thought the throttle body would pull in air on its own.\

I've checked the injector plug wires and they are all plugged in. The white plugs are for the 4 injectors and the black plug for the CSI right? I check all the grounds and they check out.

Timing is good (enough for now) but like I said, when I pull the plugs after my starting attempt they are dry so I'm not getting any fuel except at the rail.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM

my advice: all the little odds and ends that you assume don't need to be attached for an initial start up....need to be attached. And your timing should be set as per the manual. Not "good enough for now" once you have everything in order try to start it again. and i have never heard of anyone pulling spark plugs to use starting fluid (dry plugs are happy plugs). one can just spray it in the throttle body. Also check for codes.

Last edited by ktm530; 05-28-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Intake pipe needs to be on for all attempted start up's.

There is a splice in the wiring harness between 2 & 3 that has a tendency to corrode and not allow the injectors to work. I would just check to make sure there is no bulge in the wiring harness there, that is the tell tale sign.

Check the impedance on the fuel injectors. 4crawler has a breakdown on what the settings should be based upon year breakout on his site.

Fuel damper is hooked up?

You have vacuum to the FPR?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM

I concur with ^^

It seems you're a bit pre-mature...Hook up everything and then start complaining.

Truck will not start if AFM does not register air flow...
Old 05-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Ok everythings hooked up and still no fuel getting to the cylinder. The harness looks good and the damper is attached. The only thing is I was waiting for the yota dealership to deliver on the copper gaskets for the damper so in the meantime I improvised with a fiberglass washer to prevent leaks till the part arrived.
( fuel has no ethanol in it). I guess there are two vacuum lines im unsure about so ill recheck those... also there is a port in the throttle body directly under the cold start injector that I didnt find a hose for (I have another thread on this). Seriously there is nothing for me to hook it up with. Is this whats causing me problems?
Originally Posted by meisentones
I concur with ^^

It seems you're a bit pre-mature...Hook up everything and then start complaining.

Truck will not start if AFM does not register air flow...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:39 PM

Ok so after installing everything I found both the hose that goes to the mystery port in the intake phlenum. Also, Found a yellow connector that plugged into the motor and after those two, it fired right up. Seems to run well but to be sure I took it to the stealership to get it properly tuned and to get the gaskets I'm missing on the fuel damper. I forgot to attach the exhaust manifold to the downpipe before I took it in so oops...
Thanks everyone! Now that the engine is running, it's time for me to build it up for my trip to Canada and Alaska!