Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Almost starts on first try, then nothing....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost starts on first try, then nothing....

Not sure where to even start looking, the engine is a 22re with efi, in a truggy it was starting just fine. it had a hard time starting the last time it started. Now it sounds like it is going to start when I first try but after that it just cranks. Ive been messing with the wiring but as far as I can tell the ECM the coil and the fuel pump all have power. I'm lost to say the least.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by BillysBuggy
.... Ive been messing with the wiring ...
Uh-oh.

Any idea "what" wiring you were messing with, after which the problem first appeared? When you say "as far as I know" about the fuel pump and ignition, what tests are you relying on?

First, check for spark. The easiest way to do that is to put the inductive pickup from your timing light on each plug wire; if the light flashes, the plug is sparking. Don't have a timing light? Get one ($20), because

Second, check your timing.

If you're unsure about the fuel pump running, jumper FP to B+ on the diagnostic connector and try to start it. If it runs now, you have a problem in the VAF COR circuit. Which you must fix; driving around with the jumper in is an entry into the "die a fiery death" lottery.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM

I was messing with all the wiring, trying to clean up the mess that it came with from the PO. But all I really did was trace out wires that had already been cut and follow them to whatever harness they came from and cut them off. Im worried I cut one on accident while removing the tape and loom. I can hear the fuel pump running and I should add I replaced the inline fuel filter and installed it backwards at first and after a few trys of starting it I figured that out. Its in the right direction now. I tested for spark with a spark gap tester. And also I can get it to start with starting fluid. I can hear the fuel pump running and hear the fuel recirculating into the tank. Can I check the timing without the engine running? It really seems like the injectors are not firing. I traced the wires for the injectors back to the computer and they have continuity.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 PM

So I connected the black wire from the ignition coil to the green with red stripe wire on the computer harness and it started.... then it ran for about a minute and then it started to idle up and down and just kept doing it until I unplugged the TPS then it just idled up. I reconnected it and started looking for air leaks by spraying starter fluid on the air in take tube connections, nothing changed so I took off the air filter and blocked off about 98% of the intake and it started idleing normal. The kicker is the air filter was extrememly filthy so I cleaned it(yesterday) so I messed with the tps, the air inlet deal, and the timing and got it to finally idle normal. What a headache. Now it starts and runs but I'm worried about how reliable it will be. Just wanted to give an update. Thanks for the info!!