86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

all-pro HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all-pro HID's?

believe it or not i did search for this but came up with nothing.

while lookin on the all-pro website i found an HID kit for our trucks and i was wondering if anyone has tried this kit and could lend me some experienced opinions?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know but i'd love to do it
Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
not sure about all-pro, but ive heard good things about this
Old 12-24-2008, 09:02 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
H4 is NOT HID!!!!! It's just halogen, like "regular" bulbs. The difference in the H4 conversion kit is that the reflector and lens are FAR superior to "normal" sealed beam lights.

The Allpro kit appears to install true HID bulbs in your housings. This is BAD and probably illegal in your state. The HID bulbs are MUCH brighter than regular, but your housing probably doesn't have sufficient pattern control to not blind oncoming traffic.

There is a writeup on here about how to do it right ... it ain't easy.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT install HID!

These god forsaken piles of crap are dangerous, blinding, and downright irresponsible.

Of COURSE you can see better with them. If you look at them, its like staring at the MFing sun. They blind oncoming drivers for upwards of 2 seconds, which is MORE than enough to cause fatal car crashes at highway speeds.

I am appalled that these are still legal. As such, I continue to write my federal and state reps about these lights, and hope to get them banned.

Everyone LOVES to go on about how these flipping things are just fine if aimed properly. I have YET to see a SINGLE HID vehicle with properly aimed lights.

Save lives. Say no to HID.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i swear, everytime i see someone with hid's coming i flip on my highbeams and fog lights.

i $@#$%%#$ hate em'...

might as well join em.. haha
Old 12-26-2008, 07:49 PM

Factory HID's don't bother me at all, its the aftermarket kits that suck. Stock non HId housings are not meant for that kind of light.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
its so brutal thoe, like the brightness is just like..
what are you thinking...
Old 12-26-2008, 08:00 PM

None of my friends seem to have problems, I guess I'm just really sensitive to how bright the damn things are. I'm tempted to just tint my damn windshield so I stop hurting my eyes and getting headaches from those damn HIDs on all them new fangled cars.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 PM

i dunno, there have only been a few times that i have had to lift on the skinny pedal cause i couldnt see anything due to hids.. and both were from damn hatch back hondas (no offense to any one who has one) with the springs cut so much that the slightest bump in the road caused them to bounce... when they bounce the lights go skyward and instant foul language emmits from my mouth lol ...... when i have the extra cash layin around ill probably put them in my runner if i cant find a normal h4 bulb that is decently bright. i have put a set of trail-tech hids on my quad and i will never go back.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Temperature wise do HID's bulbs run hotter, cooler, or same a halogens. I'd think since they use less electricity they'd be cooler but I've been wrong before. Does any one know of a maker of HID that have water proof ballist?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:50 PM

well not to start world war 56 here but i have hids in the wifes car stock housings and they are the exat same as normal bulbs just brighter.

i have a cheapo set in there to just ry them out and hope for the best so far there a million times brighter then stock 9006's (or 9005's cant remember what one is low beam) and so far nor the cops or other people stop me to yell finger me high beam me or anything and i aimed mine my self on a pitch black road for the best for her to see when driving. then i parked her can and walked over 1,000 feet more like 2 miles and then walked back i didnt get blinded or anything the whole time other then WHEN I WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAR ON MY KNEES LOOKing righT INTO THE LIGHT

hids are going to be the way of auto lighting very very very soon. even hondas come with them stock every car out there just about has one make they come with hids stock and yes there the same housing as with out hids so how is the housing going to make the hids brighter or what ever he was saying

coming to think about it they even make LEDS that are HID look at that good fashlight you have with the LEDS guess what there hid leds

i say get use to it or join everyone else hids are the best of the best for night time driving even in the rain snow or anything at night yes i know there super bright and you just wanna plow head on into the car to make them stop but since they have the dot number on them even if there banded there still street leagal and guess what

they will never ban hids cause the auto makers will lose way to much money and yes the auto makers are the ones running, controling this land we live on but im not going there sorry

hids are just fine to drive with so now that my rant is over time to answer a few questions about them

the bulbs are the same as anyother bulb and they run even colder then stock bulbs the bals is not watter prof that i know of but why are you goin gunder water with them anyways go to leds

and yes they use alot less power then stock bulbs

hope this didnt start world was 56 lunchbox out!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by just a 22re
well not to start world war 56 here but i have hids in the wifes car stock housings and they are the exat same as normal bulbs just brighter.

i have a cheapo set in there to just ry them out and hope for the best so far there a million times brighter then stock 9006's (or 9005's cant remember what one is low beam) and so far nor the cops or other people stop me to yell finger me high beam me or anything and i aimed mine my self on a pitch black road for the best for her to see when driving. then i parked her can and walked over 1,000 feet more like 2 miles and then walked back i didnt get blinded or anything the whole time other then WHEN I WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAR ON MY KNEES LOOKing righT INTO THE LIGHT

hids are going to be the way of auto lighting very very very soon. even hondas come with them stock every car out there just about has one make they come with hids stock and yes there the same housing as with out hids so how is the housing going to make the hids brighter or what ever he was saying

coming to think about it they even make LEDS that are HID look at that good fashlight you have with the LEDS guess what there hid leds

i say get use to it or join everyone else hids are the best of the best for night time driving even in the rain snow or anything at night yes i know there super bright and you just wanna plow head on into the car to make them stop but since they have the dot number on them even if there banded there still street leagal and guess what

they will never ban hids cause the auto makers will lose way to much money and yes the auto makers are the ones running, controling this land we live on but im not going there sorry

hids are just fine to drive with so now that my rant is over time to answer a few questions about them

the bulbs are the same as anyother bulb and they run even colder then stock bulbs the bals is not watter prof that i know of but why are you goin gunder water with them anyways go to leds

and yes they use alot less power then stock bulbs

hope this didnt start world was 56 lunchbox out!
Punctuate and spell check please. Good lord.

I understand that they are currently legal. It wouldn't cost Auto makers much to down grade to Halogens again. Not like they have to reinvent it.

The fact that they are a million times brighter than halogen is the whole damn point.

No one is arguing that they aren't bright. They are so bright, they compromise safety.

Aftermarket or stock makes no difference. A bone stock 07 4runner pulled up behind me, and I had to re adjust all my mirrors so I could no longer see out of them, and even then, the light was offensively bright on my windshield and dash.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:01 PM

I was talking about older cars. If you stick an HID bulb in a stock older civic headlight it will blind oncoming traffic because the patter of the housing is meant for halogen.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:22 PM

Uhhhh? What was that?

Yeah, what AxleIke said about syntax and such.

Last edited by Bako88; 12-26-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:58 PM

General rule of thumb is: If headlights of any kind can venture into your eyes, your truck isn't lifted enough.

That, and if they really offend you that much, just flip on the KC's and really blind the hell out of em. Taste of their own medicine!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
That, and if they really offend you that much, just flip on the KC's and really blind the hell out of em. Taste of their own medicine!
and then they hit you head on......

in all honesty though, i hate them as well.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 AM

Installing an HID bulb into a standard halogen housing is VERY dangerous and I think even illegal in some states now. HID bulbs should only be installed in reflector housings (with our without a projector) designed specifically for HID bulbs. They need a certain beam pattern to attenuate the brightness of the light. Otherwise, with plain ol' halogen housings you get the awful glare AxleIke speaks so fondly of!

And personally, HID says to me "ricer who doesn't know the first thing about modifying a car" or "I paid way too much for this car because I need people to notice me."

If you really need more light than an H4 upgrade provides, get some driving and/or fog lights.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lama glama
Installing an HID bulb into a standard halogen housing is VERY dangerous and I think even illegal in some states now. HID bulbs should only be installed in reflector housings (with our without a projector) designed specifically for HID bulbs. They need a certain beam pattern to attenuate the brightness of the light. Otherwise, with plain ol' halogen housings you get the awful glare AxleIke speaks so fondly of!

And personally, HID says to me "ricer who doesn't know the first thing about modifying a car" or "I paid way too much for this car because I need people to notice me."

If you really need more light than an H4 upgrade provides, get some driving and/or fog lights.
Lol you guys are so funny.

As with all things there's a right and a wrong way to do it.

MOST HID kits come with a reflector that designed to shine most of the light back at the housing where it gets distributed correctly.

When you take off that reflector (some do because it "fills" the headlight more) it causes the light to go in all directions and that is dangerous.

There is nothing wrong with HID's. They are more safe than Halogens because they throw more light on the road in a better color to allow people to see.

Have you ever had someone drive by with Halogens that are aimed incorrectly? They can be just as bad if not worse.

What about people driving around with lifted trucks that haven't aimed their headlights down? To the people coming at you, your lights are aimed right at their eyeballs. That's much more annoying than HID's.

HID's are the way of the future and are not going away.

You just have to remeber, taking off the reflector housing is illegal. But like so many other things with Cars and Trucks, just because you make it illegal doesn't mean people are going to listen.

There's lots of Toyota Truck owners that have illegal things on their trucks.

So all I'm saying is, don't let a few bad apples spoil it all for you. I'm willing to bet there's a lot more HID equipped cars that drive by you than you realize and you don't even notice.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EvaMonky
Lol you guys are so funny.
No, I'm an ass.

As with all things there's a right and a wrong way to do it.
Not here. ALL HID lights, no matter if they are in a correct housing or no, are blinding. The wrong housing makes it worse. Halogen shines in a yellow color, which is less painful to look at, even when aimed wrong. HID's are a brilliant white or blue, and are much worse for the eyes. They blind you longer.

MOST HID kits come with a reflector that designed to shine most of the light back at the housing where it gets distributed correctly.
Correctly being into a very concentrated beam of light that stabs the eyeballs of oncoming drivers? Never seen an HID housing with correctly distributing light patterns.

There is nothing wrong with HID's. They are more safe than Halogens because they throw more light on the road in a better color to allow people to see.
Wrong. You need to read above. OF COURSE they let you see better. They are bright. We aren't talking about the person whose car is equipped with HID's. We are talking about oncoming drivers for whom those brighter lights are blinding. Good lord.

Have you ever had someone drive by with Halogens that are aimed incorrectly? They can be just as bad if not worse.
Yes, many times. They are annoying, but they are no where NEAR as bad as HID's.

What about people driving around with lifted trucks that haven't aimed their headlights down? To the people coming at you, your lights are aimed right at their eyeballs. That's much more annoying than HID's.
Only if the truck has HID's. Halogens are annoying, but do not approach the painful glare of HID's.

HID's are the way of the future and are not going away.
We'll see.

You just have to remeber, taking off the reflector housing is illegal. But like so many other things with Cars and Trucks, just because you make it illegal doesn't mean people are going to listen.
Doesn't matter. Proper housings are just as bad as illegal ones. They ALL need to go.

There's lots of Toyota Truck owners that have illegal things on their trucks.
Sure, but those things don't affect me on a daily basis.

So all I'm saying is, don't let a few bad apples spoil it all for you. I'm willing to bet there's a lot more HID equipped cars that drive by you than you realize and you don't even notice.
This I'm willing to admit is probably true. I would probably say there are none. In reality, there are likely a couple. But a "few bad apples" is a wierd way of saying it, since usually every 3rd car blinds me, and every 5th car that gets behind me blinds me, all of them with extremely bright, white or blue lights.

Last edited by AxleIke; 12-27-2008 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: all-pro HID's?