86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alignment issues after Steering Relay Rod Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment issues after Steering Relay Rod Recall

I went and had the recall done over the course of last week (took several trips) and when completed the techs are having trouble aligning my truck. They tell me the numbers are dead on, yet it still pulls to the right. They finally told me that they had gotten it as close as they can, and that it's my tires that are making it pull to the right.

I don't know enough about these specs to be any kind of expert, but according to this sheet there are still two areas where it shows "out of range". Can some of you guys take a look at the sheet and tell me what I need to know to get this fixed?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 AM

Can't help you there , not a frt end man , hold out -someone will chime in
Might need to go to a different shop other than Stealer , a frt end shop where thats all they do and get it right , then take your bill to the Stealer and have them re-imburse you

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-16-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They sure as hell aint doing it right, your outta spec in alot of areas! Everything should be in the green or danged close to it, alot of that isnt. I would seek a better shop and send the stealer the bill.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's an easy way to rule out the tires, just swap the 2 fronts from side to side, if it is the tires it'll pull to the left then. If it still pulls right after swapping take it somewhere else.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eric-the-red
There's an easy way to rule out the tires, just swap the 2 fronts from side to side, if it is the tires it'll pull to the left then. If it still pulls right after swapping take it somewhere else.

my dealer told me after i got it done that they couldn't do my alignment because i had a lift kit.........???
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you are running into is that it's way out of spec.

The most likely reason they can't get it in spec is that the adjuster cams have separated and aren't working (very common problem.)

When we did mine I only had one bad cam. It was a real mofo to get it to move (drift & hammer operation.)

You probably need to pull the front suspension apart and replace the cams.

Also, with it being that far out you may have bent the frame. This is also very common because the rear lower has no cross member. Every time the truck bottoms out it tries to seperate the frame. Smack it hard enough and it'll bend.
Get one of the aftermarket ones (they aren't expensive) and use a come along to pull the frame rails together before drilling and bolting the member in place.
Good news is that with this simple mod you are much less likely to knock it out of alignment in the future.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 10-16-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM

Front End Alignment

Originally Posted by Azusacanyonbogger
my dealer told me after i got it done that they couldn't do my alignment because i had a lift kit.........???
Thats a excuse because they don't know what they are looking at , take it and get aligned by a dedicated front end shop if you can or a place that services 4WD and then take bill to Dealer and don't back down - crawl up the ladder until they pay and start with the Location Manager for service and go from there , they should have at least troubleshooted it and gave you a reason and a quote .
Old 10-16-2007, 05:46 PM

I found this when looking up the terms I wasn't familiar with.

Steering Axis Inclination (SAI)

SAI is the measurement in degrees of the steering pivot line when viewed from the front of the vehicle. This angle, when added to the camber to form the included angle (see below) causes the vehicle to lift slightly when you turn the wheel away from a straight ahead position. This action uses the weight of the vehicle to cause the steering wheel to return to the center when you let go of it after making a turn. Because of this, if the SAI is different from side to side, it will cause a pull at very slow speeds. Most alignment machines have a way to measure SAI; however it is not separately adjustable. The most likely cause for SAI being out is bent parts which must be replaced to correct the condition. SAI is also referred to as KPI (King Pin Inclination) on trucks and old cars with king pins instead of ball joints.

Included Angle (IA)

Included angle is the angle formed between the SAI and the camber. Included angle is not directly measurable. To determine the included angle, you add the SAI to the camber. If the camber is negative, then the included angle will be less than the SAI, if the camber is positive, it will be greater. The included angle must be the same from side to side even if the camber is different. If it is not the same, then something is bent, most likely the steering knuckle.

Last edited by Gator; 10-16-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 PM

The only problem I have with this explanation is that my truck wasn't pulling before the recall was performed.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Recall Repair Alignment Problem

Originally Posted by Gator
The only problem I have with this explanation is that my truck wasn't pulling before the recall was performed.
I would imagine your toe in is off quite a bit (and diff per wheel) which would have it pull , among other things as well , there was another thread about this I was subscribed to and the guy had to go to a outside shop and then he took his bill to the dealer and they re-imbursed him . I can't remember the original thread tiltle though .
Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM

Recall Repair Alignment Problem

Originally Posted by Gator
And that is the same thing he said in the other thread .