Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alarm Install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm Install question

I'm a little confused how to connect the alarm to the dome light circuit. I quote from the install manual

"H3/2 White wire -- (-) 200 mA DOME LIGHT CONTROL OUTPUT -
(Optional 3rd output see programming feature A-5)
This wire becomes grounded when the dome light controls circuit active. The current capacity of this wire is 200mA. This wire can control the operation of the interior lights. An optional 10 Amps relay can be used to this system for interior lights operation.
a). Upon disarming the interior lights will remain on for 30 seconds.
b). If the vehicle is violated, the interior light will flash for the same duration as the siren.

H3/5 GREEN WIRE -- NEGATIVE DOOR SWITCH SENSING INPUT --
This wire is the ground trigger input wire for negative door pin switch. This wire connection is for "grounding" a factory-type door pin switch; locate the "common wire" for all door pin switches and make the connection of the Green Wire."

Do both these wires connect to the same "common wire"?

Last edited by LITLRED; 09-10-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: dont want to advertise what type of alarm I have.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I gather, they would be wired independently of each other- i.e.: the factory "open the door and the dome lights come on" circuit(s) (including door-open safetly lights on the door itself and such if equipped) are disabled, the h3/5 wire is connected to the pin switches on entry doors, and the h3/2 wire is connected to the factory wiring to the dome light.
But some 4Runners have diodes in the dome light circuit which separate the left from right door(s) and those would have to dealt with accordingly otherwise the alarm may not get door-open signals or trigger the dome light properly, likely through installing additional pin-switches on the door.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ya know i've been thinking about installing an alarm on my toyota because of my system in there..and other various things i keep in it

and because it would be nice to just push a button to make the doors lock..

anybody think of a way they could start their MANUAL truck/4runner from a remote??..
Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah just ground out the neutral lock switch on the remote (or something along those lines) and make sure to leave your truck in neutral every time you get out. And if you forget to put it neutral bad things will happen.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 AM

man i just dont get these alarms having worked in the the ghetto for10 yrs alarms dont work pull out stereo dont leave anything there for them to steal get a back pack carry ur valuables my friend got his suv jacked with a alarm it happened like this ;
3am alarm goes off ( thieves quickly pop hood cut bat cables ) alan looked out sees his truck is still there goes back to bed 1 hour later thieves return push the truck to a waiting tow truck its outta there 10 days later shows up on the streets of la stripped
SHOUDDA GOT lo jack this is a true story alan is my friend and they wanted his truck i guess for parts and targeted him ... alarm ,,, no problem
Old 09-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
it goes back to the fact that if someone REALLY wants your truck, they'll get it. alarms just make the meth head move to the next easier target.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
James Bond had a great security system on his car.

Of coarse you didn't have a car left when it goes off.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I've already bought the alarm and just need a little help with the install. Sounds like the WHITE WIRE allows the dome light to be controlled by the alarm system and the GREEN WIRE tells the alarm when one of the doors is opened.
Do I connect the white wire to the wire coming down from the dome light and the green to the wire coming off the LH door switch?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Dome light control relay

I think I've figured it out.
There's a black wire paired with a b/w wire in the LH kick panel that comes down from the dome light through the A pillar. Cut this wire.
Connect the 'dome light side' of this black wire to the 87 pin of the new dome light relay.
The other side of this black wire connects to the door pin switches. Connect this side to the green wire of the alarm 'negative door switch sensing input'.
The white wire from the alarm 'dome light control output' connects to pin 85 of the dome light control relay.
Pin 30 of the dome light relay connects to ground.
Pin 86 connects to constant +12v source.
While I'm in there I'll add some connectors to pin 87 for additional interior LED lights controlled by the door pin switch.
I wish I could draw a diagram on here. All comments/suggestions welcome.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Alarm update

Got er done. Works awesome. But for the starter cancel I need a different relay. Now I'm trying to decide what else I can control with the remote. Any ideas? Has anyone installed power door locks on a 1st gen DLX runner?