86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air shocks/springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air shocks/springs

Okay, i have no clue how these systems work, i am just following up an idea a friend gave me.

So my truck, build thread here, works on the farm, hauls trailers(well it will when i find a bumper), and hauls bed loads of everything. But it also will see a couple hundred miles of highway every week. So in the interest of ballancing load capacity with ride quality my friend suggested i look in to some air shocks/springs.
I know a setup like this would require OBA, but i want an excuse to do that anyway, but could someone explain the pros and cons of such a system and give opinions on whether or not it is a viable path for me to take.

Thanks,
Speed

Note: I am only discussing the rear end, i see no reason to mess with the front end as it will not effect my hauling capacity.

EDIT: Preliminary research suggests i need to be looking at air springs/bags not shocks. But i need to go to class now.

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 09-18-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM

I am interested in this as well. I am resurrecting my 87 4Runner and the springs are near shot. I've thought about the ZUK mod but I also like idea of air springs. Being able to adjust the air pressure to compensate for load is appealing.

It doesn't look like there is a kit available to directly fit my 4Runner but I wonder if the kit for the trucks will fit?

Anyway, you don't necessarily need an expensive OBA. You aren't inflating 35" tires., just two small air bags. One of those cheapo tire inflaters that plug into your cigarette lighter will work fine. A good bicycle tire pump would also work if you are a little patient.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 AM

I have found this kit that looks pretty good, i would think it would work for the 4runner as well.
My only concern is that it is bolted to both the axle and the frame, potentially limiting travel. Though in the case of this particular kit its full extension length is 7" and I'm not to sure my current setup could stretch that ... But at the same time i don't want to limit future potential.
As for the OBA, i want to build one regardless, so this will just give me a slightly more legitimate reason for one. Plus, who wants to have to hook up and unhook another piece of equipment while on the job, or worse yet level a heavy load with a bicycle pump.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can just get pump up type air shocks. They have a valve stem that you can remotely mount. Usually they get mounted behind the rear mudflap in the rear bumper. Pump up when you need to haul a loan and let air out when done. No OBA necessary.

Also, if you haul trailers then a load distributing hitch is your best friend. And then, yes, you might want to beef up the front. The hitch takes some of the weight off the rear axle and distributes it to the front axle as well. My old 38' bumper pull and 454 Chevy would squat 1.5" in the front with the load dist hitch properly hooked up. Something to think about.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 09-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
You can just get pump up type air shocks. They have a valve stem that you can remotely mount. Usually they get mounted behind the rear mudflap in the rear bumper. Pump up when you need to haul a loan and let air out when done. No OBA necessary.

Also, if you haul trailers then a load distributing hitch is your best friend. And then, yes, you might want to beef up the front. The hitch takes some of the weight off the rear axle and distributes it to the front axle as well. My old 38' bumper pull and 454 Chevy would squat 1.5" in the front with the load dist hitch properly hooked up. Something to think about.
Whether or not i need an OBA is beside the point, the discussion is on what is the best system for load leveling.
I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of air shocks vs air springs/bag. My first thought on shocks vs springs is that unless i modified my suspension for 4 shocks there would be some unnecessary twist on the frame caused by the one forward facing shock pushing against the one rear facing shock, as in a stock system the shocks do not carry weight. Also putting the weight on the shocks makes your shock mounts the crucial point of the system, i would think that a frame to axle airbag would be much stronger and more reliable.

Thanks for the tip about a load distributing hitch, i'll take a look at that.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Has anyone on here run a system with air springs or air shocks?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 PM

i'd either do a zuk mod, or just buy a new set of leaf springs. having to mess with airing up and down seems a pain to me. i like my zuk mod, however the rear is a bit stiffer and thus the ride isn't as nice as it used to be. not sure how much a air setup would run, but if i were spending money, i'd just get new springs.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 PM

I'm not doing zuk springs because i want a long term solution, and the advantage of an air system would be adjustable ride, not having to sacrifice the ride for capability. But yes price could be cheaper. As for new springs, short of going custom i can't find a stock size set of springs for a reasonable price, i don't want to lift it at this point but i also don't want to drop money on worthless springs.
Thus the air solution seems to make sense.
It may sound like I'm being picky, not wanting to sacrifice my ride quality but when you see hours of highway its pretty important.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:28 PM
JR

I would use air springs over air shocks. Girlfriend 92 Pickup has air springs with light suspension and they work. However one bag has failed because you must have 10 pounds of air in the bags. Two separate valves by rear plate. Had a Toy Corona with air shocks but in hard corner they can loss control.

So Air Springs would be my choice.