86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air injection removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air injection removal

while im replaceing the head gasket and timing chain im thinking about reoving the air injection system and capping it off. there are no emmision checks where i live and it would be nice just to free up some extra space "not much of course" anyone else remove theres?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well you need a older intake tube and airbox and you can just cut the exhaust tube ports and weld them shut.
As far as I know it's pretty easy.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 PM

just finished removing it, i just made a block off plate on the exhaust manifold. thanks for the reply
Old 03-02-2009, 06:53 PM

i did mine out of curiosity and it didnt make much difference in mileage....
Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Did your mileage change at all and for better or worse?
I deleted my EGR and it seems like the mileage went down a good bit.
i was going to delete the air injection to but now I am unsure.
I am thinking about putting EGR back on!?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bobzombie
Did your mileage change at all and for better or worse?
I deleted my EGR and it seems like the mileage went down a good bit.
i was going to delete the air injection to but now I am unsure.
I am thinking about putting EGR back on!?
yea i noticed the same thing when i blocked mine off. I just hate the idea of exhauast in my intake tho
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

I am putting EGR back on then cause it is gonna take me broke.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Mine came with the air injection removed already. I put a pace setter header on it. didnt' realize the horrible exhause leak for like a week cause the rest of the exhaust leaked so bad. needless to say i fabbed up some blockoff plates. oops
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM

i just wanted to remove it to free up more room in the engine compartment
Old 03-03-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
free more room? like what, a few centimeters around the fuel filter... and maybe a little more... where?

Let's forget the PAIR system consumes no horsepower and helps emissions. So why the need, really? ... the O2 sensor is now going to get a signal slightly rich (since less O2 in the exhaust)... so what's to gain?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 PM

Well if it's true that the 02 signal will pick up a "slightly rich" signal, then it will try to "lean" that signal and the result should be lower fuel consumption. Am I missing something?

I installed NWOR Tri-Y headers and everywhere/everything I read suggests that headers eliminate the need for a temperature reduction system (which is what the EGR does, cools down the high-rpm exhaust temps) because the headers wont warp under high-heat like the stock one, and flows better which reduces max temperature.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM

Hmm... it'll pick up a rich condition, tell the ECU the exhaust is rich.
Don't forget the ECU is programmed to anticipate that signal....
Then the ECU will lean the mix, and the knock sensor will pick up detonation ('cause it was already just lean enough and now it's even more lean) just as the ECU starts to enrich the mixture... and the ECU will retard the timing and kill everything (retard the timing and richen the mixture at the same time) resulting in higher fuel consumption.
... or maybe not ....

And the NWOR headers are not emissions legal in California. Good luck.

Last edited by abecedarian; 03-03-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Actually NWOR says the headers I got are 50-state CARB Legal, but mine didn't have the Carb Sticker/Emblem and the Smog dude pointed it out (along with the drilled out air-cleaner housing) but since my dad knows him, he passed us, and gave us a $20 discount . AAAAND we live in a no-smog county (smog only for purchase/transfer of title). So really, my luck isn't of any concern in this situation (i have really bad luck )

Our NWOR headers with fresh Catylic converter had absolutley minimum emissions readings, I can post them once I find it. Actually it amazed me, since we had just gotten the truck and hadn't cleaned/fixed/tuned anything except getting the exhaust redone b'cause it was rusted apart.

Anyways Back on Topic, our EGR used to stick open and cause rough idling (even to the point of killing the engine at almost every stop light) so once disabled, the improvement was felt immediately and I like the fact I'm not dumping dirty exhaust gases back into the Fuel/Air mixture before combustion (Yuck!)

Last edited by Savage_One; 03-03-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 PM

maybe so. NWOR doesn't list the headers with an EO# for Cali, nor even mention it on their site- and that would be a huge selling point since passing Cali means you will pass everywhere else. But that's neither here nor there... I'm sure dumping dirty exhaust out the tailpipe is more satisfying than dumping dirty exhaust back into the intake in lieu of dirtier tailpipe exhaust.
Just kidding. Everyone with 1/4 of a useful brain knows, because they've considered both sides and comprehend the math, that CO2 is at its thermal absorbtion limit and adding more isn't goint to contribute to global warming (not being sarcastic here- go search). Don't you love using hyperbole as if it were truth (exaggerating for effect to prove the antithesis of the counter-argument)?

Last edited by abecedarian; 03-03-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
free more room? like what, a few centimeters around the fuel filter... and maybe a little more... where?

Let's forget the PAIR system consumes no horsepower and helps emissions. So why the need, really? ... the O2 sensor is now going to get a signal slightly rich (since less O2 in the exhaust)... so what's to gain?
behind the head and under the intake, less crap i have dangling off my engine the happier i am, where i live they dont check emmisions so im not worried about it. i plan on putting a header on it down the road.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by desert-rat660
behind the head and under the intake, less crap i have dangling off my engine the happier i am, where i live they dont check emmisions so im not worried about it. i plan on putting a header on it down the road.
not sure it frees any usefull room behind the head since there's a coolant passage for the heater that runs parallel with the PAIR tube.
I will concede that its removal will make accessing the fuel filter easier though, and clear up some space below the throttle body and remove the 3/4" (or so) tube across the front of the engine.
But for what purpose other than that? It doesn't affect the operation of the engine in the slightest other than what the O2 sensor sees (I mentioned that already).