Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

AIR FLOW MOD what a differance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIR FLOW MOD what a differance.

I did the air flow mod on my 1993 4runner 3.0, that has been posted many of time,moving the air gate one tooth.What a overall differance.Got rid of the flat spot I had in the throttle respones mid range, and now much more low end throttle response.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM

What mod is this? How do you do it?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by adamthedroog
What mod is this? How do you do it?
I would strongly caution aginst doing this unless you know how to tune an OBD1 motor. Lets make this clear from the start, it allows more air, but the ECU still puts the same amount of fuel to the injectors...thus creating the motor to run leaner. It would run richer if the dial was turned to close the air opening.

I am glad it worked for the origional poster, but I would not want my motor to run on the lean side...to many bad side effects.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
idk about the 22re but the 3vz runs rich from the factory anyways
Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Search the post.You cut the top off thew AFM and move the airgate teeth one or two clicks ahead or open. More air to the motor.I ahd a flat spot in the midrange power band and this cured it.Plus more get up and go.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
better yet is the 7mge air flow meter turned 6 teeth RICH. OH BABY!! and yes i agree with snobdds dont run it lean. bad voodoo...
Old 06-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Really 6 ???? I just went 1 to try it.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by snobdds
Lets make this clear from the start, it allows more air, but the ECU still puts the same amount of fuel to the injectors...thus creating the motor to run leaner. It would run richer if the dial was turned to close the air opening.
That's backwards. It doesn't have an appreciable affect on the amount of air flow. And the ECU does run the injectors to allow for more/less fuel based on how the VAFM is adjusted. Let me explain it from a new point of view...

What you are doing by adjustment of the tensioning spring in the meter is recalibrating the air flow signal to the ECU.

The initial calibration is done when the AFM is installed at the factory.

That initial calibration setting can be thought of as a "zero" point, and/or "normal" setting.

Any setting "+" or "-" of "zero", or "normal", can be thought of as "richer" or "leaner".

Tightening the spring will result in the air flow signal being "-" its "normal" value, and the ECU will run the injectors less, making the engine run "leaner".

Loosening the spring will result in the air flow signal being "+" its "normal" value, and the ECU will run the injectors more, making the engine run "richer".

BTW, with all the 1000's of people who have done this mod, there are no "horror story engine failures" said to have been caused by it. That I'm aware of...and I'm well aware of MUCH...as is quite obvious to see.

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM

kinda want to do this... temptinggg
Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Is this applicable to the 22r as well?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 PM

22r carbed..... 22re/3vz fuel injection.... u would have to replace the jet to do this on a 22r
Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
That's backwards. It doesn't have an appreciable affect on the amount of air flow. And the ECU does run the injectors to allow for more/less fuel based on how the VAFM is adjusted. Let me explain it from a new point of view...

What you are doing by adjustment of the tension spring in the meter is recalibrating the air flow signal to the ECU.

The initial calibration is done when the AFM is installed at the factory.

That initial calibration setting can be thought of as a "zero" point, and/or "normal" setting.

Any setting "+" or "-" of "zero", or "normal", can be thought of as "richer" or "leaner".

Tightening the spring will result in the air flow signal being "-" it's "normal" value, and the ECU will run the injectors less, making the engine run "leaner".

Loosening the spring will result in the air flow signal being "+" it's "normal" value, and the ECU will run the injectors more, making the engine run "richer".

BTW, with all the 1000's of people who have done this mod, there are no "horror story engine failures" said to have been caused by it. That I'm aware of...and I'm well aware of MUCH...as is quite obvious to see.

"You say Tomato...I say Tamato"...but, in the end, it's the same fruit.

This is probably all a mute point in the end, the o2 sensor has a bigger effect on Air/fuel ratios than the AFM has and may counteract the AFM changes...but we'll save that debate for later.

Last edited by snobdds; 06-14-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 PM

is this a mod worth doing or is the supra maf a better alternative?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
the 7mge supra afm + isr = 3.GO!!!! the supra afm is bout 2~3 times the size of the 3vze afm so more air is let in. plus the isr equals better air flow which is why you need to turn the afm spring 6 teeth richer.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Wow,
I was considering moving the spring on my 22re to the rich side as a precaution. I actually did it then set it back. I could not tell a difference. When I got my smog report I plugged the numbers into an on line Lamda calculator and found my fuel air ratio to be the 14.7:1 ratio that the factory has engineered these engines to operate at. I personally don't want my engine to run lean because dependability and longevity are very important to me, and I am in no position to second guess a multy million dollar engineering department. More air flow is a good idea, but I am very reluctant to run my new motor lean.

Last edited by Buck87; 06-15-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by snobdds
This is probably all a mute point in the end, the o2 sensor has a bigger effect on Air/fuel ratios than the AFM has and may counteract the AFM changes...but we'll save that debate for later.
Moot point...yes...more or less. Debate it some other time...agreed.
Originally Posted by 94_yota_4x4
is this a mod worth doing or is the supra maf a better alternative?
Originally Posted by Toysrme
So here's my answer to why on a stock 3vz-e, an AFM upgrade is useless. *On the stock/near stock engine*

1) It doesn't help a 2.5L 2vz-fe which makes more power, it won't help a near-stock 3vz-e

2) It does nothing to stock miata engine that consumes almost as much air @ high rpm as a 3vz-e. It DOES help a lot when they have gone FI

3) The math itself says it won't really help very much.

***So here's the math.***

Because of a lack of 3vz-e dyno's, I've never personally even seen one; I will instead use the power curves of a 5vz-fe because it's the only other low rpm Toyota v6 to compare to. Note I said the power CURVE. Not the dyno numbers itself. The curve of 5vz-fe dynos fairly closely matches the published peak figures for a 3vz-e anyways. This will ensure that I OVER estimate 3vz-e numbers. Simply put, the day a 3vz-e power curve is better than an FE head & cams - hell has frozen over.

If someone will provide a 3vz-e dyno, I will be happy to provide the real numbers , but as I just mentioned... It will make the math even more biased that the stock AFM is fine.

Warning: Generalization - SOHC peak volumetric efficiency will be calculated @ 80% peak.

Data:
Bore: 3.44"
Stroke: 3.22
6 cylinders
Ambient air temp: 70*F

@ 3500rpm
Volumetric Efficiency = 80%
145CFM
@ 4000rpm
Volumetric Efficiency = 78%
162CFM
@ 4500rpm
Volumetric Efficiency = 75%
163CFM
@ 5000rpm
Volumetric Efficiency = 66%
171CFM
@ 5500rpm
Volumetric Efficiency = 53%
151CFM

Small Denso AFM housing has been rated 165CFM @ 0.74in.Hg
Large Denso AFM housing has been rated 200CFM @ 0.74in.Hg

As demonstrated, peak flow on a stock engine is @ 5000rpm - 171CFM, while the AFM will measure 165CFM. So now the money question... What *WOULD* happen if you swapped one. Here ya go:
@ 5000rpm you would get a power bump from 126bhp = 165CFM, to 131bhp = 171CFM.
Now remember. The 5vz-fe powercurve is going to fall off less than the 3vz-e power curve. Most likely, it nose dives so fast, it most likely would peak out right around 165CFM - we all can honestly say it surly won't make 171CFM.

Sooooooo. I've said it a hundred times & I can pretty well prove it now. I can prove it 100% if someone provides me a dyno.

The 3vz-e's small denso AFM is NOT TOO SMALL for a stock/near stock engine.!!!

So, you're bummed that an AFM upgrade isn't really gonna do much. No fear. I've said something else multiple times too. We all know stock Toyota tuning sucks.

AFM with the silicon holding the plastic top cut.

Close up of the AFM spring & the cog that holds tension on it.

MARK THE STARTING POSITION.

Tighter spring leans, looser spring richens. ***Most stock & near stock Toyota engines don't need extra fuel, if anyting, lean them slightly.***

Expect a slightly better throttle response, and a few more horsepower @ high rpm. Mid rpm will also pick up a little when the engine is under load. Don't expect a large gas-mileage increase, but several 3s-fe M/T owners have reported less lugging in gear & increased mileage. IDK of any A/T owner of any 3s-fe 2vz-fe 3vz-fe owner that got more mileage.

3vz-e's have a distributor also... If you're not on the brink of detonation, add a few degrees of base timing advance. It won't give any appreciable peak power, but it will improve throttle response, and shift the entire powerband down a couple hundred rpm if you add enough.

There you go. There's the good & the bad. The good news - probably 90% of you that want a new AFM, don't need to waste time & money on one. You can also make more power with what you have already.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...ia-math-76016/

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-15-2012 at 10:05 AM.