Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermath of my heinous 22RE destruction

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Aftermath of my heinous 22RE destruction

Sooooo.....last friday I got paidddddd up and decided to have the 'lux towed from the old apartment in the g-hetto to my lovely new place across town.

Many of you friendly folk may remember righteously bashing me for my neglecting to swap the lubricants on the 22RE i drowned a few months ago.

To summarize: I put the truck in the river. It hydrolocked at low RPM. with the water purged it ran fine for 1000 or so miles. I failed to change the oil, and as a result, "something" retardedly bad happened. Bulletproof 22RE? Call me the man with the golden gun.

What I ask of you good 'yota folk is some insight.

When Vinny pulled my beautifully broken rig onto his rollback 3 months after The Incident, oil came out the bottom. It was a swirled, muddled, yellowish, watery, mess....much like my tears. I knew then then that I ought to have rode the short bus to 4WD school, window licking the whole way.

When I looked under the motor, I saw what my actions had done, at least superficially. What I need to know before buying either a new motor or a rebuild kit, is the "worst case scenario"

The most obvious damage was to the oil pan, near the bellhousing. Two holes of equal size have been blown into the sides of the oil pan. It looks as if a grenade went off in there. A few stray chunks of steel were easily pulled off the horizontal planes of the motor. This is where all my oil came out.

What happened in there? Should I replace this engine outright? Can I rebuild it? I'm mechanically proficient...but on a relatively limited budget. Has this happened to anyone you know?

Pictures coming soon....
Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 PM

i saw a video on youtube a while back.
2 bus blew a huge hole in the side of thier block, and it still started up and ran!

The easiest and cheapest would be another cheap engine
Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 PM

Pull the motor. Tear it down to the bare block. Look in the cylinder bores. If they aren't scared to badly you may be able to bore it. If they are scared re-manufactured engine is your best bet. That maybe the best bet anyway the price differences aren't that much. And if your wrenching skills are limited then swapping the old for the new engine is lots easier then trying to rebuild. Personally if it grenaded I'd get an re-manufactured engine.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM

get a remaned engine, with more power!! lol. nows ur chance.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
if there is a HOLE in your BLOCK i wouldn't suggest trying to rebuild that. Not sure what you mean by horizontal planes, but sounds like the support ridges along the sides. If those came off in your hands, thats very bad. New engine time.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

the only holes are in the oil pan. they are about 1.5" around and bulged outward till the pan could stand it no longer and opened up.

they are the same size, and located in the same place on either side of the pan, east/west if you will...

i know from my cow sense that the crankshaft aint too far from there, and perhaps the bottom of a rod failed and detached at speed from watery lube...but im not too sure. this weekend i'll yank the pan and photograph the carnage.

that being said...even if i buy a reman, i'd like to keep the blown motor and rebuild it at my leisure, and sell it to the guy whose 'yota i was trying to rescue when i killed mine. his '86 4runner has almost 300k and could use a rebuilt powerplant, but if the block is cracked from the TNT that detonated inside it, then i'll send it in for my $250 core refund.

while on the topic of remans...i've been searching for a motor that is quality, yet reasonably priced. i dont do "cheap" but i dont go right out and drop big $$ thinking that a big pricetag means that i'm getting a motor thats quality made.

i've heard good things about Oregon Engine Rebuilders. any takes on them? also, i saw a 22RE from the "speedline group" for an amazing $895....with new head casting and all. has anyone bought a Speedline motor? is $895 for a turnkey longblock too good to be true?

thanks, all!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 PM

just look for an old rig with a 22RE and swap it into yours. I wouldn't even bother getting a re-manufactured engine. Just buy an older rig with not too many miles and use it as a parts truck. They pop up all the time from $200-500. You could pull the old engine and install the donor one in a weekend.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slamigo
just look for an old rig with a 22RE and swap it into yours. I wouldn't even bother getting a re-manufactured engine. Just buy an older rig with not too many miles and use it as a parts truck. They pop up all the time from $200-500. You could pull the old engine and install the donor one in a weekend.
I agree...A rebuilt engine would be too much in my opinion (especially on a budget) just try and find a rig with a decent amount of mileage and swap the engine from that...it'll be just fine
Old 05-31-2007, 09:07 AM

A swap with a used one would be the easiest and cheapest. Rebuilding it would be next. The reman will usually be the most expensive route short of a brand new Toyota factory motor.

If the block is junk, it usually will not qualify as a core. The rebuilders typically want rebuildable cores in return.

You will have to remove the motor no matter what. In my opinion, you may as well pull it and rip it down and have a look inside. The cylinders may be fine and just need a hone or they may need to be bored oversized. You may also need a new crank and will need to check the crank bearing journals to see if there will be more machining required. It is possible to check these things yourself if you have the right equipment but a machine shop can do it for you as well. Once you have that information, you can start pricing parts to see where you're at.

You'll also want to have a look at the valves and the rest of the head. If the timing chain broke somewhere in this scenerio, you have a whole slew of more parts to add to the list.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:06 PM

Swap in a cheap used motor and rebuild yours (if you can) with lots of hop-up goodies.