Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket Stereo Install, No No HVAC Lighting, Where'd I Go Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Stereo Install, No No HVAC Lighting, Where'd I Go Wrong

Hi all,

I'm sure iterations of this solution are on the forum in other places, but I wasn't able to get a solid solution.

I installed a JVC aftermarket head unit in my 93 DLX Xtracab this afternoon, and now my HVAC lights don't work.

My OEM deck had two separate connectors, one which interfaces with the aftermarket deck, and a second one, which at the time I had assumed was the rear speaker connections. I had ordered my setup from Crutchfield, so they included two harnesses which interface with the OEM wiring, one for the main connection, and one for the rear speakers.

I decided to run rear speakers in my truck, and I soldered a pair of two wire quick disconnects for each speaker that connects to the JVC harness.

The rest of the wires I simply matched up according to instructions, excluding the power antenna wire and the amp lead turn-on wire. Everything worked when I powered it on, but I noticed my HVAC lighting doesn't work.

I've been reading things about the dimmer wiring being the culprit. I connected the two orange wires from the JVC harness to the aftermarket adapter harness and I figured everything would be fine. I also didn't use the second harness (rear speakers and a single orange wire that the instructions told me not to use), and didn't reconnect the 2nd connector to the radio.

The second connector can be seen here (the blue one) from this thread

Connectors Under Dash

Do I need to redo my wiring to connect the orange dimmer wire in my harness to that wire, or tape off the wire altogether and leave that connector undone? Do I create a jumper between those two wires?

The radio currently dims when I turn on the radio, and all the other lights work as best I can tell. My tail lamps work (though I haven't checked my license plate lights).

Any input from anyone that has encountered this problem?

Thanks