Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

aftermarket air conditioner opinions please

Old 09-30-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket air conditioner opinions please

I've got a 93 truck with only 60K on it and want to keep it for a long time. The problem is that it came without air conditioning. I'd to add air but am unsure about the difficulty of doing a job like this.

To give you an idea of my experience with auto work; I've replaced wheel bearings, torn apart dash boards, installed remote starting units etc. I'm excited about the prospects of this kind of work, but don't know if it is over my head.

In you humble opinions, 1) are aftermarket units reliable?
2) is it a do-it-yourself winter project?

thanks
Old 09-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Lundy,

I'm adding A/C to my '90 V6, along with my 3.4 swap. I ordered a kit from Arizona Air, and it seems like a very straightforward project. (Ordered before my 3.0 died, so I'll have some issues there)

The kit comes with all the pieces for a brand new R-134 system (less refridgirant), and a good set of instructions, all for about $650. I had been looking at the salvage yards, and kept getting quoted around $500 for unknown how used parts, so I thought this was a great deal.

I would think that it would be a good weekend afternoon project, then go get it charged up.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:34 PM

do you have a link for Arizona Air? I googled but no luck.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:46 PM

Yeah, if you've got a contact for Airzona Air, I'd love to get it too.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Try www.ackits.com.

I installed one of their kits and it works well.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I believe the dealer also does (did?) sell a kit to install AC on your truck. Prolly a little bit more money, but OH so worth it. Try that route too.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The other reason I say go factory is when it comes time for replacement parts, you know exactly where you can go. Not to mention all the help you can get from us (yotatech) should any problems arise.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 AM

im in the same predicament... toyota quoted me $1700 for a replaced AC system. they recommended not using aftermarket AC systems but i would def look around for that kind of price...
Old 10-02-2006, 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the help, I'll checkout ackits.com and the dealers.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I talked to a dude at a local shop and he told me that he'd install air conditioning for $1100. That's enough for a new parts truck, c'mon. I've seen compressors for my 94 p/u dlx on eBay. The holes for the parts are already there on the block and in the engine bay, it can't be a hard job with instructions. I'm heading to Florida soon and this addition is a must have, I'd look funny driving tube doors to work everyday (as fun as that would be). ) Max Air wanted $1500, I'm in the process of ordering from ACKits.com, cost: $750-But, after reading the last thread, I may go to pick and pull...it sounds bad the way that Slater describes the Kit...? Any more specifics that I should be aware of?? Edit: ACKits stink.

Last edited by BigWavePaul; 07-21-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:40 PM

All p/u's came with a 2-50 AC.
The 4Runners had a 4-50 too.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Sell your truck and buy one with AC.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:41 PM

I added factory air to my 89 with all junkyard parts and it took all of three hours.....total. The box fits under the dash, remove the little air tunnel that toyota puts in there, remove the rubber plug from the firewall, push new box in its place, bolt box in. Then look in wire harness. The wires for all the ac are there on all five trucks I have converted, the ac control box should just plug in. Remove the dash clock/heater control cover, remove black square cover, pop in the ac switch, done inside. Add the lines and ac condensor and bolt the compressor and idler pullys on, plug in compressor, done. I have seen aftermarket air on three toyotas and I cant tell you how terrible they look, maybe I am just shallow, but I love my all toyota truck and try to keep as many toyota parts on it that I can, plus they work better since they were designed to be on that truck by the smart guys that designed it.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slater442w30
I added factory air to my 89 with all junkyard parts and it took all of three hours.....total. The box fits under the dash, remove the little air tunnel that toyota puts in there, remove the rubber plug from the firewall, push new box in its place, bolt box in. Then look in wire harness. The wires for all the ac are there on all five trucks I have converted, the ac control box should just plug in. Remove the dash clock/heater control cover, remove black square cover, pop in the ac switch, done inside. Add the lines and ac condensor and bolt the compressor and idler pullys on, plug in compressor, done. I have seen aftermarket air on three toyotas and I cant tell you how terrible they look, maybe I am just shallow, but I love my all toyota truck and try to keep as many toyota parts on it that I can, plus they work better since they were designed to be on that truck by the smart guys that designed it.
The Aftermarket kit looked simple enough for my monkey a** to figure it out. Can we get a write up on the parts list needed for the project, or maybe just a tad more insight...? anyone....? The kit shows lines and hoses, I'd be lost. Plus, the kit says that basic tools will suffice for the installation. Any extra info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:13 AM

I have the AC Kits one on my truck. It was a complete kit, everything needed with the exception of refrigerant. I looked into using junk yard parts, but the problem I had was that I own a '91 and of all the parts that bolt on, only the very end of production did they use R134a. I did not want to deal with R12, because even if they say you can convert a system, the differences seemed to me to be enough that you'll spend money getting things to work right. They must be flushed well, the condenser really needs to be bigger with R134a, the oil and seals needs to be changed out. I didn't want to deal with it and the Arizona Mobile Air kit was set up for R134a. Under hood parts fit well, the evaporator fit well, hoses were right length and fittings pointed correctly. The issue I had was the plastic box they mounted the evaporator in didn't fit like factory. I got it to work with some trimming, a bit of foam to seal it and an extra self tapping screw. Nothing too major.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 AM

Long post but chocked full'o nuts

I could just say search but hate that. I'll subscribe to this thread - hopefully it will become the quintessential thread for A/C retrofit on 2nd gen. I'd like to learn about other people's attempts at fitment between 4cyl and 6cyl and 4Runner to Pickup.

I have researched this quite a bit for my 1990 Pickup V6. Here are the options I can see.

Option 1
Cobble facotry parts together from junkyards donor vehicles and install tune. Prices, availability and quality vary, and I may be able to pickup a local system from a 4 runner for under $400. You might find other's charging $100 just for the compressor. Also, if you can't get new hoses from Toyota, you may be able to have a local shop make them. Once I get a chance to get the local parts, I'll let you know fitment problems I encounter.

See my thread at
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f180/wtb-89-95-v6-pickup-c-parts-1990-a-110198/
for the basic parts you will need. Other parts that you may need are the thermal expansion valve (which may be on the evaporator core/assembly) and the internal compressor switch, which as someone says plugs right into a socket behind the heater controls panel.

Go to
http://www.titus-willtoyota.com/en_US/
to get an idea of the parts you will need. The prices the dealer quoted are below; that is if you can get them new.

1. CONDENSER $164 new
2. RECEIVER/DRIER $75 new
3. BRACKET (Bracket, Receiver) $5 new
4. RECEIVER PIPE $35 new
5. COMPRESSOR $376 new
6. CLUTCH $162 new
7. COMPRESSOR BRACKET $47 new
8. DISCHARGE HOSE $48 new
9. SUCTION HOSE $56 new
10. EVAPORATOR TUBE & LINE $48 new
11. CONDENSER PIPE $18 new
12. EVAPORATOR ASSY $800 new

Total about $2K!

Here are the parts numbers from that catalog and possible interchange problems you might run into, although these are from memory (check the part numbers).

1. CONDENSER (To 1-94 Condenser) - 8846035020
- May not interchange with 4 Runner but 4 Cyl pickup is same part number, but I can't be sure without fitting it up
- Mount points seem to be different between 4 Runner and Pickup
- Stick with same model type
2. RECEIVER/DRIER (To 1-94 Receiver/Drier) - 8847116040
- You will want this new, although it is generally the same # for range of years/engines/models
3. BRACKET (Bracket, Receiver) - 8847289110
- Fairly interchangeable
4. CONDENSER PIPE (To 1-94 Receiver/Drier Pipe, Condenser) - 8871689163
- V6 4Runner same as V6 Pickup
5. COMPRESSOR (To 1-94 6 Cyl Compressor) - 883201252084
- Different between 4 and 6 cyl
6. CLUTCH (6 Cyl (a) Clutch) - 8841035080
- Different between 4 and 6 cyl and 4 Runner seems to be diff part number
- you will probably get this as part of a compressor
7. COMPRESSOR BRACKET (6 Cyl Bracket, Compressor Mtg (a)) - 8843135181
- This is one of the hardest because it doesn't look to interchange between 4 Runner and truck for the same engine, but I can't be sure without fitting it up
- Also does not seem to interchange between 4 and 6 cyl
8. DISCHARGE HOSE (6 Cyl Hose, Discharge (a)) - 8871189139
- These are pretty specific to model/engine type, but I can't be sure without fitting it up
- Since these connect to the compressor, I would at least stay within your same engine type
9. SUCTION HOSE (6 Cyl Hose, Suction (a)) - 8871289143
- See 8.
10. EVAPORATOR TUBE & LINE (6 Cyl Pipe, Evaporator (a)) - 8871689181
- Stick with same model type and engine
11. RECEIVER PIPE (To 1-94 Pipe, Receiver) - 8871689162
- Stick with same model type
12. EVAPORATOR ASSY (6 Cyl Evaporator Assy (a)) - 8851089157
- Assembly# is generally different across Truck to 4 Runner
12. EVAPORATOR CORE (Core, Evaporator (b)) - 8850189111
- Core is generally the same across models/years
EXPANSION VALVE 8851516040
- If you get an evap assembly to bolt in, this may be already attached

The information for a 1993 truck seems to be the same for the 1990 but I can't tell if you had the 4 cyl or a 4Runner.

Other links of use - go there now if you haven't already
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Option2
Aftermarket kit as someone mentioned above, I may look into it - but I am concerned about replacement parts as I intend to keep my truck for a long time.

Option 3
Have install by local aftermarket - I don't know where you are located, but I was quoted $1500 installed from local guy at Pacific Auto Air in Tacoma. Same concern as in option 2.

My preference would be to use all factory parts, but it is difficult to track them down, and I haven't had the time to go out to the yards looking. I would expect to spend at least $500 and could be as much as $1500-2000, but ignore the person that said sell it and buy one with A/C. Sounds you are more than capable from your experience - It looks to be mostly a simple bolt and plug job, then have a local shop leak test, charge, and tune the system so you can go back if your stumped with problems. Hardest part is finding the parts.

My thoughts are that if I can find a compressor bracket that fits the stock compressor, I will go with all factory model/engine specific parts. If I can't then I will have the aftermarket stuff installed or install the kit. And I will probably be looking at getting new/refurbed compressor/clutch/condenser/receiver, as those parts seem to take the most abuse and I don't want to have to do it again 6 months down the road.

Hope that helps, let us know what you find and how it goes, because you are not alone in wanting to retrofit.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
I have the AC Kits one on my truck. It was a complete kit, everything needed with the exception of refrigerant. I looked into using junk yard parts, but the problem I had was that I own a '91 and of all the parts that bolt on, only the very end of production did they use R134a. I did not want to deal with R12, because even if they say you can convert a system, the differences seemed to me to be enough that you'll spend money getting things to work right. They must be flushed well, the condenser really needs to be bigger with R134a, the oil and seals needs to be changed out. I didn't want to deal with it and the Arizona Mobile Air kit was set up for R134a. Under hood parts fit well, the evaporator fit well, hoses were right length and fittings pointed correctly. The issue I had was the plastic box they mounted the evaporator in didn't fit like factory. I got it to work with some trimming, a bit of foam to seal it and an extra self tapping screw. Nothing too major.
Sounds easy enough.
Any pics? Have you looked into replacement compressor or clutch for this system?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fl0und3rz
Sounds easy enough.
Any pics? Have you looked into replacement compressor or clutch for this system?
The compressor they included is a Seltec. I don't have the model number handy, but I think it was something like TM-15 (that sticks because I was looking at TJM bumpers at the time). I'd have to look it up to be sure. Seltec lists all the spare parts on their website, clutches, o-rings, fittings, etc. The compressor itself doesn't worry me. The hoses I think they (Arizona Mobile Air) made up and look well done. The condenser and evaporator both looked like stock products, you'd just have to match size, inlet/outlet and mounting flanges dimension. IOW, nothing custom and a catalog search would probably give you the same parts. The plastic housing, like I said, was a little step down from stock, but it worked with 30 minutes of plastic work. The only part that looked cheap to me was the accumulator, which was made in China. It's perfectly functional, but made in China none-the-less. The compressor I think was made in Japan. I spent about $700 for the kit plus the evacuation and charge by the A/C shop. Their customer service was helpful when I did have a question and the instruction they included were clear enough, although they weren't exactly FSM quality. I think for the price, it would be hard to beat by much with decent junkyard parts after you convert them to R134a, plus these guys offer a warranty in case something doesn't work. I don't have any pictures, but once I get my truck back on the road (doing a engine rebuild right now) I'll snap a few.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:09 PM

I love this site! Hey all, I am typing from the deserts of Arizona and it is about to start the wicked uphill climb to 100+ degrees for the next several months. My question pertains to AC install in an 88 4cyl, 5spd, 4X4. My friend tried to convince herself that she didn't need AC when she bought it, which was fricken hilarious, but regardless of her denial, I was wondering if all the above info pertains to her truck or if her make/model changes things.
I have gotten a ton of good info from all of you and all I can say is Thanks!!! Let me know when you get a chance.
Jonelle
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM

hey "slater442w30" i know this post is like 5years old but i did similar ac add to my 1989 xcab pickup 22re... ac works great will freeze you out of the truck but my problem is it really bogs the truck down when applying the brakes the rpms drop almost to where the truck shuts off... did you run into a similar problem? thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aftermarket air conditioner opinions please