Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Advice on a 3VZE rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on a 3VZE rebuild

i made it about 230,000 miles and she screwed the pooch so im am going to rebuild everything (whole truck) but i was wondering were to get after market factory and/or performance parts mainly for the engine i can find all kinds of stuff for the 4cyl but not the 6cyl any advice will help the truck will be more of a toy than a daily driver

additional info
1990 extended cab
manual
4 wheel drive

Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 04:37 AM

You will get a lot of comments about using all OEM parts, or go to enginebldr.com. I got by with many parts off of eBay. I got pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, head bolts, water pump, timing belt and idler, lower control arms, an LSPV, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints and CV boots.

I got new wheels, tires, roll bar with lights, and a prerunner bar off of craiglist.

I got a new battery, new brakes, clutch, wires, belts, fuel filter and spark plugs from Autozone.

I got a 4" lift from Rough Country.

I purchased rust encapsulator and chassis black from Eastwood (http://www.eastwoodco.com/)

Finally, I got new torsion bar bolts, control arm alignment dials, fuel pump bracket and a few replacement bolts and nuts from the dealer.

Total cost, around $3500. The truck is still running strong after 3k miles.

You can check out my rebuild thread, if you like.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just completed my 3.0 rebuild. Bought a kit from http://www.engnbldr.com/ and don't regret it. I compared prices between Napa, dealership and engnbldr. Smack dab in the middle. Nice to get all the parts from one place and talk to the person behind the parts if needed. The two times I had to call them, they seemed right willing and helpful. Curious, what kind of MPG are you getting on your current engine? Having never had a 3.0, I am very dissapointed in the MPG I am getting after a full rebuild. I think I have some work to do on the valve shims. PITA!
Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 AM

Put a 3.4 in it for the same money.
Bigblock
Old 12-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engnbldr parts are definitely the best for the 3vze and you can put headers and cams in there to get pretty good performance, I am happy with mine. Eventually though you will run into the limitations of that engine, I mean low-end torque. I still have troubles going up steep hills at highway speeds. I usually need to downshift into 3rd or even 2nd and take it slow on the side, while other trucks barrel past. I am very happy with my 3vze, super reliable and excellent mid/hi range, it really shines at about 3200RPM sounds and drives great. But there's no getting around the lack of low-end gut power.
I plan on a 3.4 swap someday in the future, within the next 2-3 years. If you have the chance now, to choose between a 3.0 rebuild, and a 3.4 swap, you are at an important crossroads. I am agreeing with Bigblock here- for the money you will put into the engnbldr parts, and the time into the full 3.0 rebuild, you would be wiser, to research, and get a very clean 3.4, with harness, and do that.
You will gain many advantages (so many threads on this already) including better MPG, way more power, possibility of s/c, less headgasket issues, and late-model technology. A good source for information is Offroadsolutions (ORS) they do professional swaps but they are very pricey. Far better if you do the swap yourself or find a friend with the skill to do it right...good luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide!
I love my 3vze, very reliable and with headers the head gasket issue is much reduced. Cams woke up the engine and it runs great. I still can't get around the lack of uphill power however, it's unfortunate but that's the reality of that particular engine.

Last edited by taikowaza; 12-14-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by taikowaza
A good source for information is Offroadsolutions (ORS) they do professional swaps but they are very pricey...
Sad to say... ORS is permanently closing next week. http://www.offroadsolutions.com/
Old 12-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am shocked to see that ORS is closing. A great loss for the Toyota community! Thanks for the heads-up mt goat. This is big news, I see that the conversion kits are on sale as they are clearing them out.
Is it possible to buy a conversion kit before buying a donor engine, just to have it when the time comes?
Or, do I have to get the donor engine first so they know the right harness to sell? Damn this is too bad. Thank you ORS for all your hard work! Wish you weren't going!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Go with OEM parts, there aren't any worthwhile aftermarket upgrades price-wise.

Having had that engine though, I'd find a 3.4 and spent a few more dollars to do it right.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigblock
Put a 3.4 in it for the same money.
Bigblock
x2, There is a similar thread already where he was doing headers, cams, and some other things and the total was rapidly approaching $3000.

You can build the 3.0 with every aftermarket part available (which ain't sayin' much) and you'll make about the same power as a bone stock 3.4 and you'll get worse gas mileage.

There is TONS of aftermarket support for the 3.4, so the sky's the limit in what you can build with a 3.4.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm going to jump on the 3.4 bandwagon, here............

I have the 3.0 and have rebuilt it. Reliable enough motor, but max mpg's at any time was 19.....like once or twice, maybe. Granted, that's with an auto trans. on a heavy ass 4rnr. Still....

Back in the summer, I had the pleasure and amazement of finally riding in a Toyota (Taco) with a stock 3.4 and no supercharger. The 3.0 broke down (AFM issue) and had to have my friend tow the trailer I was hauling back to my house. This entailed travelling through the Boston Mtn. range here in AR. Lots of steep hills, long grades, and winding curves. Never once did he have to shift into third on a climb. 4th and 5th gear all the way through! My eyes were buggin' outta my head and my friend was just looking at me like,"Whuuut?". Normal to him. And, regularly got 19mpg with a hot foot.

3.4.......I want one.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 PM

thanks guys im def going to start looking for the 3.4 now anyone know if there is thread about the swap
Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by atombomb
thanks guys im def going to start looking for the 3.4 now anyone know if there is thread about the swap
There lots of them here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/