86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adding AC to 1990 base 22r pickup

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding AC to 1990 base 22r pickup

I have sourced all of the parts from a 1997 taco but there does not appear to be ac amplifier anywhere. I got another evap core today from the junk yard out of a 90 4runner with the sas 3400 motor for 25 bucks but in my research I found that the amp for a 22re will not work for the 22r. My main issue is the wiring. My truck already has the holes in the firewall and drain plug, there is one ac plug above the glove box that should plug into the evap but the plug is different. I have everything I need I think but am not sure how to wire up the vsv or compressor and not sure how to hook up the idle up diaphram or if my truck has one. I know it should be attached to the carb. I even went through a Haynes manual and there was nothing even mentioning a vsv switch or anything but the label under my hood shows that there are two on the fender I believe. The other thing that is a pain is using a new compressor from a 97 taco. The bracket does not fit. I have the federal model with the air pump and I am pretty sure that even if I had the right bracket that it might not fit my particular bracket but if I have to I can make that. Mainly I just need some wiring help. From what I found I need one wire to compressor and two to vsv and then three to truck but not sure where these come from or go to??? I can upload some pics if that would help.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it helps...there are pdf's of factory manuals with wiring diagrams floating around.

Like... if you to start looking here..

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...-years-156128/

Hope that helps...maybe an hvac guru will pop in.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Once I go to that page none of the links work. Says they cannot be found.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What you have is a mess.

Have all the parts been sealed from the weather??

Most often when was does a AC install one uses all the parts off one vehicle.With the system still sealed.Or all new parts.

Just what year AC system are you planning to use ??

Then you can figure out the wiring issues.

Then you can get an idea of the wiring.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Yes all of the parts have been sealed from the weather. I have the complete mechanical setup minus from a 97 Tacoma. I agree that most often when people do these swaps that they get everything from the same truck however the day that these trucks, 4runners etc hit the yard they are stripped bare. I got these parts from a person parting out his truck and I bought what he had. Wiring schematics don't help me because they make no damn sense.

The evaporator from the 1990 has an external amplifier visible on the outside. The 1997 does not and it does not appear to be missing anything so I am wondering if the 97 even has or requires one. Also as I said I have looked at the Haynes manual for the year ac I am trying to add and there is no ac wiring only the main parts and how they're bolted in and wat not.

http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/eng...ur-turck-9459/

That link is by far the most helpful thing that I have found but he does not explain how to wire up the VSV to the ac system, compressor, idle up diaphram etc.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Like I said a mess.

I take it you did not get the AC amplifier with your parts Then trying to hook this up to a carbed engine as the Ac amplifier idles the engine up via the ecm and The IAC

So you need to get the AC Amplifier for your 97 AC.

Once you have all the pressure switches wired in it should be a simple matter to get system voltage to where you need it to idle up your engine .

Right off the Ac compressor clutch because you only want to be idled up when the clutch is pulled in.

Not having ever seen a Carbed truck with AC I am not sure how the idle is increased I am sure giving it more air won`t work.

Putting AC on a carbed truck can be a pain