Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
cb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down accident suck - need frame/steering checking help

so my truck now looks like this,

and this,

and finally this,

I was t-boned, she has no insurance and I don't have collision coverage, so it is coming out of my pocket to fix this.

I 'think' it is worth fixing, so I am fishing for some tips on checking the integrity/straightness of the frame, steering linkage, and front axle before I go about finding a door.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone in the Calgary area has a replacement door for this truck, PM me.

Thanks, catherine
Old 10-05-2007, 01:50 PM

definately fix it.. It breaks my heart to see that... that's like a bad nightmare and almost as bad as getting a rig stolen.. it can be fixed.. Once you get the frame straightened the door can be had at a junkyard.. I live in SoCal and parts are a bit of a challenge but can be found with a bit of work.. There are only so many of these vehicles left in the world.. Preserve the vehicle Good luck....
Old 10-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
yikes .. dosnt look bad though . Make sure you check the frame , and the intermediate , and rear cab mount .. make shure you dont have a bent frame .

and buy the way .. why you in Calgary , and have the oilers as a avitar ????

TRADER!!!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

dang. i think they should shoot uninsured motorist on the spot, in the head, and then leave them in a field for the crows to eat. ok, sorry. i feel your pain. some fool ran into our accord and totaled it. sure we got paid for it, but it took us months of looking to find the right one. sure, fix yours. i hope your frame is not bent. good luck, and sorry for the vent.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
call a lawyer. it should be her that pays.

to check the frame for general straightness look if over and see if it looks bent or if any welds are cracked/broken. you can also get out the tape measure and measure diagonals, front drivers side-rear passengers side should be the same length as front passengers side-rear drivers side, etc. see if it drives straight (or straightish) and you should be able to tell how tweeked it is.

goodluck on getting it fixed.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
defently sue her! Thats retarded.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 PM

WOW that sucks are you ok? looks like you must have been hit in the legs also looks like the rocker panel is toast pull up the carpet and inspect how badly the floor is damaged and as stated sue this person for being a lazy good for nothing piece of crap.
and if they cannot pay then make sure that they have to help with fixing the truck in their spare time I think it is called a indentured slave.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 PM

yea, no insurance = sue. You got her name, number and address on her license right from the police report right? You will own her ass every day until it's paid in full Take it anyway you can get it! It's a law here you have to have auto insurance.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 AM

really makes ya want to cry. I've been bummed about mine the last month. I Tboned some kid that tuned out in front of me about 4 weeks ago in Ann Arbor. He didn't even look and made the turn.
here is that result.
[/IMG]

Just got my new frame home last week and ordered springs and Bj spacers and gears for the axles. gonna rebuild it right this time! LOL!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Just be glad no one got hurt, that's the big thing. I wanted to kill the kid that I t-boned. but i realised why he did what he did after i got out of the truck. one of those fall low sunrises at 7:20 am that make it imposible to see anything when you look at it. he never saw me comming.
but the insurance thing sucks. I got into an accident in june with a lady that didn't have any inusurance, plus they took her away in handcuffs to jail due to warrants from freind of the court for failure to pay child support. so even if i took her to court and sued her the likely hood and cost of getting money out of someone that dosn't have any to begin with is slim and none. A firm believer in carma thought, what goes around comes around. just be glad to be walking and talking. and able to rebuild and have fun with your toy.

Rick
Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by cruisinforburgers
really makes ya want to cry. I've been bummed about mine the last month. I Tboned some kid that tuned out in front of me about 4 weeks ago in Ann Arbor. He didn't even look and made the turn.
here is that result.
[/IMG]

Just got my new frame home last week and ordered springs and Bj spacers and gears for the axles. gonna rebuild it right this time! LOL!
man your truck got wrecked again in less then a year that sucks

Last edited by CyMoN; 10-27-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:01 PM

yeah june and september with my blue 86 and another one in september with my 2000 4runner.
I'm driving a rental right now, my 2000 4runner will be out of body shop early next week. UGHHH! all the wrecks for a lifetime in one summer.

Take a tape measure and measure left side and right side front to back hub to hub if the drivers side is less than the frame probably got jacked in a bit. usually will have freshly flaking paint where any bend may have happend.
Looks like door and rocker took brunt of it though. take it to a frame shop to be sure though. they usually don't cost that much to tug back into place.

Get a nice set of tube doors and run it without doors! just beat the rocker panel semi close with a body hammer! LOL!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:32 PM
cb

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to pull the running board off tonight and take it out for a drive and do some measuring. It;s so sad, because this truck was in such good shape, body-wise.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:35 PM
cb

Originally Posted by slacker

and buy the way .. why you in Calgary , and have the oilers as a avitar ????
grew up in northern BC + AB, I wouldn't be allowed to go home if I started cheering for the Flames. And besides, who can cheer for a team whose fans have a hard time remembering last time they won the cup
Old 10-06-2007, 01:38 PM
cb

Originally Posted by cruisinforburgers

Get a nice set of tube doors and run it without doors! just beat the rocker panel semi close with a body hammer! LOL!

It sees the majority of its miles winter driving in the mountains, and I am not near tough enough to go doorless. Would be mad steezy though.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check with your Insurance agent, I believe that around here if you have only liability insurance that it will cover for uninsured motorists. then your insurance company can go after them.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes repair the damn thing.

wow man i really like your like burnt orange paint, but if you get a new door and rebend the bottom frame there, you will probably need a new paintjob too, if you wanna go there.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by cb
grew up in northern BC + AB, I wouldn't be allowed to go home if I started cheering for the Flames. And besides, who can cheer for a team whose fans have a hard time remembering last time they won the cup
Yup .. I hear ya .. Lanny .. Lanny .. I use to be a Flames fan way back when they won the cup and when it wasnt so "MONEY" oriented .

Use to be a good day to watch a game , and have a beer .. seems to me , it's not so interesting anymore .

good luck with the repair .. let me know , as I can offer some help with parts and pieces if ya need .
Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 PM

any updates?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 AM

that sucks dude. i got hit coming out of my driveway a month after i got my truck. police said it was my fault, even though the guy was doing 15mph over the speed limit. had the frame straightened and a new front crossmember welded in, and got a new bumper and it drives fine now. hopefully you can get it back on the road. if you look at the picture in his car, you can see the big ass dump truck i couldn't see past when i was exiting my driveway.

this is how my truck looked.

and this is what his car looked like.

Last edited by magicninja; 11-05-2007 at 12:42 AM.