Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ABS Diagnosis Issue

Old 01-31-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Diagnosis Issue

I'm working on a 95 4runner, currently we have a fault in the ABS system causing the rear anti lock light to stay lit on the dash. When I look at the service manual it says to turn the ignition to the on position, disconnect the service connector and jump E1 and Tc in the diagnosis box. When that is done its causing the cruise control light on the dash to flash constantly. We're not getting any action with the rear anti lock light on the dash......Anyone have any insight here? When the ignition is turned to the on position the rear anti lock light is on and stays on, when I pull the service connector the light goes off. I just want to confirm that should happen. Thanks for anyone who can help me with this.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 AM

I took the ABS out of all mine so I cant really help.I can tell you to be sure to jump the correct terminals.Check the relay and the fuses.Good luck.
Bigblock
Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, just took a look at all fuses and theyre all in good shape. As far as the relay goes, I'm wondering if thats not the problem, but running the diagnostics should lead me in that direction, I'm having issues even establishing a link with the ABS computer right now. When I jump the proper ports in the diagnosis box its not causing the rear anti lock light to blink only the cruise control light.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately I can't help, but I am having the same issue with my 92 4runner right now. PLEASE keep us updated if you find out what the origin of this problem is....
Old 01-31-2009, 11:44 AM

The sensor for the ABS that is mounted on top of the rear diff is what causes the light if there is a problem. There is also the actuator sensor at the actuator that is at the right front corner of the engine compartment right by the AC compressor. I would put money on the sensor on the diff. You can take it out and clean it and also check the wiring for both plugs.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:37 PM

I have this same problem in my truck. I have noticed that when i start the truck i can hear a couple clicks from a relay under the dash and with every click the rear anti lock light will disappear and then re-appear. Leads me to believe that a relay is causing the problem but it does not bother me so i haven't checked into it further. Just FYI

What i also noticed today when doing the front brakes is that there is no ABS for the front wheels. this does not make any sense to me, why has Toyota only put ABS on the rear wheels?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RIalltrac
I'm working on a 95 4runner, currently we have a fault in the ABS system causing the rear anti lock light to stay lit on the dash. When I look at the service manual it says to turn the ignition to the on position, disconnect the service connector and jump E1 and Tc in the diagnosis box. When that is done its causing the cruise control light on the dash to flash constantly. We're not getting any action with the rear anti lock light on the dash......Anyone have any insight here? When the ignition is turned to the on position the rear anti lock light is on and stays on, when I pull the service connector the light goes off. I just want to confirm that should happen. Thanks for anyone who can help me with this.
To check for tranny codes, you connect TE to E1. To check for brake codes, you connect TC to E1. Are you sure you have the right terminals?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM

My abs light stays on too but I'm happy with my baking. I want to get that annoying @&$*ing light off! I tried pulling the fuse but it stays on and I can't find the relay to check that. I tried pulling the brake codes by jumping the ports mentioned above and the abs light is constant... Flashes once then stays constant. Any help on what that code means or any way to get that light off would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:41 AM

I had a rear locker installed in my 4runner a few months ago and while it was done the ABS sensor was removed from the rear end and cleaned. my constant "Rear Anti-Lock" light now goes out from time to time and the abs actually works.

just replace the sensor and it should fix the problem.

I think its really funny that the light goes out now that the rear is actually "locked" haha
Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 AM

So if I clean the sensor maybe that will help? I'll give it a shot
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM

ABS failure but no light '95 4runner

So I have a 95 4runner and when I hit the brakes in the snow my wheels lock up and I slide. the indicator light for the ABS turns on when I turn on the ignition, but then promptly turns off, meaning the computer finds no faults in the system. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.