Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

(ABS?) Braking Issue

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(ABS?) Braking Issue

Hello all!

First-time poster, but I've been reading this forum a LOT recently after doing a complete rebuild of my 3VZE a couple of weeks ago.

Here is an issue that came with this truck when I bought it, and now have the time and energy to troubleshoot (ask for insight) it after finishing the rebuild.

Then traveling at speeds lower than perhaps 40mph, and the applying light pressure to the brake pedal, I get what can only be described as "tapping" on the pedal. The "tapping" rate is relative to the miles per hour, and it continues all the way down to about 5mph. Weird thing is, it does not "tap" at speeds higher than 40mph or so.

I've replaced the front rotors, calipers and pads (because they were worn, not necessarily for this issue.) I've visually and physically inspected the rear drums and shoes, and found nothing that would translate into a "tapping" on the brake pedal.

I've bled all four slave cylinders, and the ABS control valve thingy on top of the rear diff. (in that order)

During the rebuild I DID have the P/S pump disconnected, but I also bled that system.

Could there be more bleeding necessary, or do you think that there might be a bad part?

The "Rear ABS" light is not lit except when engine is off (as expected.)

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:33 AM

I agree, that sounds possibly related to the ABS system. Maybe a bad or dirty sensor / connection?

Sorry I'm not of any more help, I'm sure others will post better suggestions.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 PM

I would say it is not your abs. The ABS on these trucks don't work, they really do nothing.
Is the tapping a "pulse" on the pedal or is it a noise only?

If it is a noise it is more then likely the front pads tapping against the rotor. This can be caused by a brocken spring that holds the pads in the caliper pistons. If it is a pulse then I would say that something is out of round either the fron rotors (which you changed) or one of the drums.

Since you just bought the truck I would check that the back brakes where put together right and that the drums are round.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
I would say it is not your abs. The ABS on these trucks don't work, they really do nothing.
Is the tapping a "pulse" on the pedal or is it a noise only?
I guess it could be called a "pulse" but I consider a pulsation as more of a "sine wave" vs. what it actually feels like... a "square wave." It definitely feels (and sounds) like a "tick."

If it is a noise it is more then likely the front pads tapping against the rotor. This can be caused by a brocken spring that holds the pads in the caliper pistons. If it is a pulse then I would say that something is out of round either the fron rotors (which you changed) or one of the drums.
Would out-of-round drums cause the above "square wave" ticking"? I know what a pulse feels like, but even when slowing down (around 10mph) no pulse... still a "tick."

Since you just bought the truck I would check that the back brakes where put together right and that the drums are round.
Do I need some sort of tool to check to see if the drums are round? I usually just replace them if I'm suspicious. At this point, I'm not.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by danskelly
I guess it could be called a "pulse" but I consider a pulsation as more of a "sine wave" vs. what it actually feels like... a "square wave." It definitely feels (and sounds) like a "tick."

Would out-of-round drums cause the above "square wave" ticking"? I know what a pulse feels like, but even when slowing down (around 10mph) no pulse... still a "tick."

Do I need some sort of tool to check to see if the drums are round? I usually just replace them if I'm suspicious. At this point, I'm not.

Since your front is all new I would be looking to the back. Also since you say that it is more of a "square wave" I would also say back. This is because the back drums are very large and a flat spot may feel like a square wave.

You will need a way to spin the drum and a dial indicator to measure runout. I have a lathe so i just spin it up on there and see how it looks. Drums are not cheap so I understand where you are comming from.

The only way to eliminate the back is to plug the back port on the master cylinder and see if the pusle goes away. You may have to bleed again after so not a fun job.

I would also check that your e-brake is fully released. Make sure the actuator arms on the backing plates are loose and free. If not you may have one side dragging causing the pulse.

If you are hearing a ticking is it coming from the front or back? If it is from the front I bet it is just the pads dancing on the rotor. You may have some siezed pistons in one of the calipers. Toy calipers have 4 pistons, usually one or 2 sieze up without any noticable loose in performance but can cause a gap and then "tick tick tick".

Last edited by Flash319; 06-01-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:56 PM

Since your front is all new I would be looking to the back. Also since you say that it is more of a "square wave" I would also say back. This is because the back drums are very large and a flat spot may feel like a square wave.

You will need a way to spin the drum and a dial indicator to measure runout. I have a lathe so i just spin it up on there and see how it looks. Drums are not cheap so I understand where you are comming from.

The only way to eliminate the back is to plug the back port on the master cylinder and see if the pusle goes away. You may have to bleed again after so not a fun job.

I would also check that your e-brake is fully released. Make sure the actuator arms on the backing plates are loose and free. If not you may have one side dragging causing the pulse.
Yeah, looks like I have some fun diagnosing ahead of me. I just did a quick parts check, and I can re-do my rear system for about $175... Not too bad, but still will need to do a little saving. :-)

If you are hearing a ticking is it coming from the front or back? If it is from the front I bet it is just the pads dancing on the rotor. You may have some siezed pistons in one of the calipers. Toy calipers have 4 pistons, usually one or 2 sieze up without any noticable loose in performance but can cause a gap and then "tick tick tick".
I don't hear a tick from the outside, but from the pedal. It coincides with the "tick" I feel on my foot. I don't hear anything from the front or rear brake components.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 AM

Okay... I've done a tiny amount of diagnosis that has proven my theory.

I unplugged the ABS relay, and the ticking is gone! So, I have to say it IS an ABS issue. Any guesses to what component could cause this? I was gonna try throwing parts at it starting with the speed sensor, then the ABS relay... and hopefully not having to go to the $1,000 actuator.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Why would you just throw parts at it? If you're rich like that, share some $$$ with me!

JK, but seriously, just start diagnosing some parts. I would start by checking resistances of sensors per FSM. Do the easiest things first, and hopefully it will be fixed without having to spend a lot of money on it.