Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

About to defect to Jeep...

Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About to defect to Jeep...

OK, I'm getting tired of my car. It runs pretty bad, and I've gotten vacuum leaks fixed, fuel leaks fixed, and the timing chain. Now I think I still need to work on the TPS. My 90 4Runner runs terrible for about 30-45 minutes everytime I start it. Plus, the fan just grenaded itself and took out the radiator.

I'm really ready to sell it and just get a Jeep Cherokee, unless someone can tell me why it would be a bad idea.

Here's what I'm looking at in my mind.

PROS of 4Runner:

Already have it
Runs OK
New tranny
4 wheel drive works
Has an Alpine deck and subs
Changing to a solid axle (for a big lift) would be a cool project
Body on frame
I like it

CONS of 4Runner:

I can arc weld, but I've never used a MIG welder (for SAS)
Getting tired of having to tinker with the d&*^ engine to make it run right
I think the 4 wheel drive might be sticking into 4 lo (won't go back into 4 Hi, stays in 4 Lo until you shift entirely out of 4 wheel drive)
Terrible freaking acceleration and power
It looks pretty rough to be honest
Everything more expensive for it

PROS of Cherokee:
Already has solid axle
Lift kits are way cheaper than anything available for Toyota
Bigger engine (4.0 vs 3.0, no replacement for displacement)

CONS of Cherokeee:

Hard to find cheap ones
Unibody instead of body on frame

Anyone want to point anything else out?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeep con-reliability, even worse mpg's, ugly, not as easy to work on, and it's a whole new investment.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM

unibody??! ..heep.. give your toyota some love.. it will love you back. otherwise.. ill give you $200 for it.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll give him 300.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 PM

ill give him 350$ and a hug
Old 05-20-2008, 04:38 PM

$375, ,
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

here's another jeep 'con': "jeep"
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
$375, ,
Times ten and I'll think about it haha
Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by T-1000
Times ten and I'll think about it haha
lol- oh wait... was that x10 on the drinks?!?! OKAY! SOLD!!!!
anyways, how about getting some of your 'yota neighbors here on yotatech to help you out? It doesn't seem like you've got far to go to get what you want and even a 3.4 swap is cheaper than a running "cheep".
Old 05-20-2008, 04:44 PM

y dont u show us some pics of ur rig then we can see if u should get rid of it or not.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 PM

jeep con-reliability, even worse mpg's, ugly, not as easy to work on, and it's a whole new investment.
Don't forget weaker D35 or Chrys. 8.25 axles. And, there's no way you can fit larger tires on a Cherokee for less. 33X10.50 will fit a stock 4Runner thats the same tire size Rubicon Express recommends for their $1500 5.5" short arm kit. Then you still have drivetrain modifications.

$1500+ $700 for tires= $2200

or

$700 for just tires

Pretty easy decision for me...

Last edited by CC_yota; 05-20-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DO IT! then you can buy some of that 'Jeep Engine Oil' I keep seeing in the banner ads
Old 05-20-2008, 05:20 PM

There's a simple reason a Cherokee's are $500... that's all they're worth. Granted, they wheel pretty good with the solid front axle, but that's the extent of their inheriant advantages, and something that's possible with a SAS on your truck.

If you're having so many problems (like I do with my '91), get yourself another Toy. You've got the experience already, then there's spare parts galore or a project for someone else. I came from Jeep... and I'd only go back for a short wheelbase CJ with Toy running gear. They don't even come CLOSE to reliability that Toys do.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Funny thread...I happen to own both. Well lets get things straight. My wife drives the stock 96 Jeep Cherokee classic. She had it before we got married and it is paid for so we have no reason to replace it. I have a 95 4 runner. My wife did have one Cherokee before this one and it was still going at 200K...definitely rare though.

Where to start. The Jeep has its goods and bads much like any vehicle. The 4.0 definitely has some torque with good low and mid range power. Top speed isn't great and it definitely sucks down the gas. The breaking system is weak even with the small stock tires. The suspension doesn't like it when I pull the trailer either. It gets really light in the nose. The 4Runner is WAY more comfortable all the way around - better interior design, more comfortable front seats, better back seat, more interior room and a very pleasing dash layout...sadly even the 4runner cup holder is better than the pre 98 Jeeps. Parts are readily available - but so are Toyota parts. Over all I just don't prefer the Jeep.

If yo are 100% sold on the idea of getting a new vehicle I would consider trying to find an affordable 96 and up 4runner or truck. I absolutely love Toyota and have no desire to have anything else....

Let me know if there is anything specific I can answer for you.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Alright...I'm thinking I'll stick with it for now...Mess with the engine some more.

I'd really like to do a SAS. I better start practicing with a MIG welder.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by wardriver
Funny thread...I happen to own both. Well lets get things straight. My wife drives the stock 96 Jeep Cherokee classic. She had it before we got married and it is paid for so we have no reason to replace it. I have a 95 4 runner. My wife did have one Cherokee before this one and it was still going at 200K...definitely rare though.

Where to start. The Jeep has its goods and bads much like any vehicle. The 4.0 definitely has some torque with good low and mid range power. Top speed isn't great and it definitely sucks down the gas. The breaking system is weak even with the small stock tires. The suspension doesn't like it when I pull the trailer either. It gets really light in the nose. The 4Runner is WAY more comfortable all the way around - better interior design, more comfortable front seats, better back seat, more interior room and a very pleasing dash layout...sadly even the 4runner cup holder is better than the pre 98 Jeeps. Parts are readily available - but so are Toyota parts. Over all I just don't prefer the Jeep.

If yo are 100% sold on the idea of getting a new vehicle I would consider trying to find an affordable 96 and up 4runner or truck. I absolutely love Toyota and have no desire to have anything else....

Let me know if there is anything specific I can answer for you.

X2.

Our family has had the same experience as wardriver. The heep has never let us down, but if I wheeled it like I wheeled my yota's over the years I would have destroyed it 10 times over the yota. Quality just is nowhere near the Toyota's I've owned. Plus I can only drive in the jeep for no more than 1 hour before my back hurts too much from the crummy seats. The Physio and Chiro visits alone to help my back cost too much to warrant driving one. Fortunately my wife uses it for VERY short commutes. My two cents.

Cheers
Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jjrgr21
I've had 3 cherokees over the years (one '88 ltd and two different '99 sports). They are actually pretty dang easy to work on, and I got great mpg's - my '88 got 23 highway no problem. It's a step down in interior room, as they are a considerably smaller (although I slept in mine numerous times on long roadtrips and camping. They are soooo easy to build, and they can be pretty tough. when my kids get older, I would love to set them up in a Cherokee. Contrary to (apparently) popular opinion, that 4.0 is a bulletproof motor, especially if you want torque. It does wane out a little bit at high RPM's, but they move when you push the gas (cough3.0!!!). I pulled a 5500lb, 21ft ski boat 400 miles and the slowest I went on any hill (pretty steep) was 45. My favorite was a '99 with an OME suspension - highly recommended. It sounds like you're not selling your Yota, and that's cool. Just remember, if you went to any jeep site and asked the same question, what would they say?
Good luck on whatever you do.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by T-1000
Alright...I'm thinking I'll stick with it for now...Mess with the engine some more.

I'd really like to do a SAS. I better start practicing with a MIG welder.
two words:
"slow" and "steady"
Old 05-20-2008, 08:34 PM

You'll be back. Jeeps are no where near as nice driving.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4biker
I've had 3 cherokees over the years (one '88 ltd and two different '99 sports). They are actually pretty dang easy to work on, and I got great mpg's - my '88 got 23 highway no problem. It's a step down in interior room, as they are a considerably smaller (although I slept in mine numerous times on long roadtrips and camping. They are soooo easy to build, and they can be pretty tough. when my kids get older, I would love to set them up in a Cherokee. Contrary to (apparently) popular opinion, that 4.0 is a bulletproof motor, especially if you want torque. It does wane out a little bit at high RPM's, but they move when you push the gas (cough3.0!!!). I pulled a 5500lb, 21ft ski boat 400 miles and the slowest I went on any hill (pretty steep) was 45. My favorite was a '99 with an OME suspension - highly recommended. It sounds like you're not selling your Yota, and that's cool. Just remember, if you went to any jeep site and asked the same question, what would they say?
Good luck on whatever you do.
hmm.. m9d is 1dering... easy to work on, camping room, easy to build, tough, oohh! VW Westfalia?
oh... then you bring up the jeep peep?
sorry, I'm just having fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to defect to Jeep...