Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

About to buy a somewhat built 88 sas'd 4runner

Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a somewhat built 88 sas'd 4runner

I currently have an 89 3VZE in stock form. Came across this 88 sas'd 22re which caught my eye because it has most of the mods I want done to it already. Do you guys have any advice on what I should look out for? Below is a list of what he says it has. I havent seen it in person yet. Dudes asking $4,700 for it.
Parts:
35" BFG AT on 15x12 Einkie 2 piece rims (2 spare 35" tires mounted)
22RE Motor Rubuilt in October of 07 I have probably driven 4K miles since rebuilding it.
Clutch, Radiator, were also replaced at that time. It is not my main source of transportation.
Detroit Locking differential in the rear
4.88 gears front and rear (I also have two complete sets of 4.88 gears mounted).
10K lb winch ( I have never used it or even plugged it in. (It is wired just not secured to batteries (I saw no reason to draw))
Bucket seats from a Honda Civic
I built the front bumper (it requires 6 bolts to remove)
I also built the side step sliders.
I did NOT build the rear bumper.
The truck is a 5 speed
I put a Pacesetter Header and run a 2 1/4 exhaust with a flowmaster muffler that dumps underneath the truck (hidden).
I am running dual marine batteries one is in front one is in the back in a battery box. Removed rear battery still ready to put a second back in.
Extra parts I have 2 extra driveshafts front and rear with cv style joints
1 extra transfercase (never got around to doing dual cases).
Extra starters, fuses, switches for the motor etc.
One of those rear sets of 4.88 gears are still installed in a rear axle from an 85 toyota (complete drum to drum).
I found coils and other random things all to go with I wont keep anything.
I will give everything I have to go with it that I find.
The truck was painted green in 04 it has been painted again in January 2013 to a ford grabber blue.
I also replaced the carpet in the passenger areas front seats and back seats

Known issues:
Just replaced motor mounts on 7-23-14 cost me 150 dollars in parts.
needs a new catalytic converter a baffle broke inside but not affecting drivablity. its 200.00 for a new one.
The a/c blows cold enough to freeze over after running non stop for 40 minutes in 90+ degree weather so you have to shut it off so it will thaw out. It needs a new oring seal on one hose.
I need to replace the manifold gasket that goes between the header and head again ( It keeps burning holes in them).
The heater core is bypassed I did that over years ago in Vegas. Yes I drove it in the winter in 30 degree weather with no heat. And in the summer in 120 degree weather with no AC.
Exhaust gasket $35.00

Name:  19884runner2_zpsb749f1b8.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  19884runner_zpsbcff524a.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  19884runner6_zpsf0034ba7.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  19884runner4_zps65304dfb.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  45.8 KB

Last edited by StangBanger; 07-26-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Anyone?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 PM

It doesn't sound like a bad deal lots of extra parts. The only thing I would be worried about is a fresh motor that has şet that long... I'd give it a GOOD look over tho cause it almost seems too cheap.
And the ac freezing up is a bad thermistor
Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
looks pretty good, pretty much has that Toyota high in the front, saggy in the butt look.

It looks like a toyota axle but couldn't tell with the dual steering stablizers.
Since it doesn't have the tradional high steer I would take a look at the p/s steering arm.

Maybe ask the seller if you can pull the steering stablizers to see if they might be hiding some form of death wobble issue. the whole dual stablizers/dual shocks approach seem like of 80'ish build approach IMO..

overall looks pretty clean, definately a truck worth taking a look an indepth look at .
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If that is what you want I myself would look real close at the work.

Flashing aftermarket parts look neat but if they were installed on the cheap who can say.

Myself I would rather build what I want so I know how it needs to come apart.

I think it is kinda high priced but it might be right inline with the local prices.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rerunn
It doesn't sound like a bad deal lots of extra parts. The only thing I would be worried about is a fresh motor that has şet that long... I'd give it a GOOD look over tho cause it almost seems too cheap.
And the ac freezing up is a bad thermistor
extra parts are nice but i think i might want 5.29s anyway. that dormant newish motor worries me as well.

Originally Posted by dropzone
looks pretty good, pretty much has that Toyota high in the front, saggy in the butt look.

It looks like a toyota axle but couldn't tell with the dual steering stablizers.
Since it doesn't have the tradional high steer I would take a look at the p/s steering arm.

Maybe ask the seller if you can pull the steering stablizers to see if they might be hiding some form of death wobble issue. the whole dual stablizers/dual shocks approach seem like of 80'ish build approach IMO..

overall looks pretty clean, definately a truck worth taking a look an indepth look at .
i would tackle the rear sag after eliminating that old school look it has. It bother me too.
Originally Posted by wyoming9
If that is what you want I myself would look real close at the work.

Flashing aftermarket parts look neat but if they were installed on the cheap who can say.

Myself I would rather build what I want so I know how it needs to come apart.

I think it is kinda high priced but it might be right inline with the local prices.
Priced great for any toyota 4x4 around Miami. There arent even any 4runners for sale around here. The fact that theres something sas'd on 35's for sale around here in operating condition is nothing short of a miracle.

Thanks for chiming in guys! Im seriously debating getting rid of my 89 3.0 for this 88 22re solely because of the sas. Since i dont plan on going any bigger than 35's i could get away with a blazeland long travel to help me clear that and just adjust the rear to match. I would be driving onroad more than offroad so it would probably be 33's just to keep it streetable with the low power the motor offers.