86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AAMCO Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AAMCO Adventure

Hey guys, I've been thinking about posting something about the "fun" I've been having with my transmission in the past year, and after today, it's time to do it.

I got my 4Runner back in June '06 w/ 177,000 miles on it. After putting 20k miles on it in 8 months, the automatic transmission went out in March of '07. I fully expected this to happen. I went to Aamco (I believe this is where I messed up) and had them replace the tranny with all new parts. Well, after a week of them having it and putting considerable amounts of money into the tranny, I drove from SoCal to NorCal for spring break. On the way, I played at hollister hills with my off-roading group. This is where it went bad. Out on the trail, my A/T oil temp light came on, Expected that as I was working the trans pretty hard. I let it sit and cool as we went on other trails. Started it back up and the light was still on. What the heck?!?! Drove the rest of the way home and it didn't go out.

The next day, I took it to 4 different Aamco shops in the San Jose area to have them look at it. This was a fiasco in itself. First shop didn't have a builder, so he referred me to another shop on the other side of town. He was full for the next 2 weeks, so he told me another one to go to. He was full for the next week, then the last one was 20 miles from home and he couldn't take me for a month. Me being on a week long spring break, this wouldn't work. Telling one of the mechanics this, he fit me in the middle of the week.

When the NorCal Aamco gets the trans opened up, they find that the SoCal shop forgot to put a piston in, this in turn destroyed all the clutches and the gears for second. It took the NorCal shop 2 1/2 weeks to finish the job because of a few set backs. I also had them put a trans cooler, taking advice from the forums. They actually replaced everything again, thankfully having a warranty, it was completely free.

After that, I had very few problems with the trans except for the occasional trans oil temp light coming on when climbing hills, the cooler didn't fix it completely. Fast forward to August of '07 and 1 week before I leave NorCal for school in SoCal, my oil temp light just randomly comes on and stays on. After driving 300 miles with it on, yes I checked all the vitals, it turned off. got over the grapevine w/ no problem and got into Long Beach. The next week, I was on my way to Bakersfield for a shoot, and while on the grapevine, my tranny blows a seal and starts to blow smoke. I had to be towed 87 miles back to Long Beach, luckily I have a 100 mile towing distance w/ AAA. Got it to the soCal shop and they rebuilt it again for free. All the clutches had to be replaced as well as the torque converter.

The shop said that the most likely thing that was causing the recent breakdown was that the catalytic converter was plugged and was giving the O2 sensor a higher back pressure reading and that was causing the torque convertor not to lock up and send fluid to the back of the trans. Took 2 weeks to fix it this time, and I had to get a rental to make it to my first week of classes or be dropped out of them. The shop told me to replace the cat before I went on a trip that had any hills and then I left.

Today I got my cat replaced and left for Pismo Beach for another photo shoot. On the way I hit the great SoCal phenomenom known as LA traffic. While in stop and go, first gear was starting to slip, so I cancelled my trip because it got so bad that turning at 2,500 rpm, I was barely moving forward. Took it back to the shop and determined that it was the new valve body they had replaced. So now I'm without my car until monday, waiting for them to replace the valve body.

So that has been my grand adventure with Aamco. I know from here on out, i'll never take any vehicle of mine there everr again. Maybe some of you have had a good eperience with them, but not me. Thanks for reading this. any ideas you guys might have are greatly appreciated!

rant /off/
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You and I already know this, but for the rest of the world -

AAMCO sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay away from them. There are probably one or two good AAMCO shops in the US, but don't make the mistake of thinking that you'll find one. You'll do just as well going to Grease Monkey for your tranny problems.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. I'd suggest finding a reputable local shop - someone on YT can probably steer you there - even if they don't specialize in transmissions, a truly good mechanic can still do the work.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:25 PM

ugh, Aamco. I sued them and won about 7 years ago for some terrible work they did on my old Trooper. good luck dude.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 PM

That's what I'm planning on, I'm just waiting for the warranty to run out. Seeing as it'll be another month before it's gone, I don't have long to wait, yipee. I'm pretty sure I'll be having problems w/ it after this as well. What did you have done?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd talk to an attorney before the warranty runs out. If you let the warranty expire and it's still messed up, you may be screwed. Make them replace the entire unit with a remanunactured one from a more reputable source.

I'm so glad I decided to rebuild mine on my own. It wasn't that hard and I saved a bunch of money.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds more like they're guessing, and throwing parts at it hoping to fix it
Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 AM

I have had 2 transmissions put in my car by AAMCO in the past 5 weeks and AAMCO has been nothing but trouble. I have had to rent a car for 11 days while AAMCO has been working on my trans for the second time and they refuse to provide any form of compensation. This company sucks and should not be dealt with. I am already out $3400 for all of the crappy repairs AAMCO has done as well as $450 for car rental.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:02 AM

Like the above poster said I'd talk to a lawyer before the warranty expires. I'd ask him to demand a transmission be put in from Toyota, by Toyota or it's off to court we go.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Like the above poster said I'd talk to a lawyer before the warranty expires. I'd ask him to demand a transmission be put in from Toyota, by Toyota or it's off to court we go.

Lawyer? First, I'd press for a new transmission if they can't get it right.
I wouldn't talk to an attorney, as an attorney representing you over a $3-$4k issue isn't going to be very cost effective UNLESS you're awarded legal fees.

Document. Send registered "demand" letters when you're fed up. Then sue in small claims, representing yourself. I'd seek the cost of a toyota reman'd transmission and toyota installation (@$90/hr).
Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 AM

You bet a lawyer, when they lose they'll have to pay his fees.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM

You bet a lawyer, when they lose they'll have to pay his fees.
That's often not the case. It depends on how the judge rules. Many times, if the other party has acted reasonably, each may eat his/her own legal fees.. Just be aware, it's a bit of a craps shoot and may not be part of the judgment if you win... Cases like this is what small claims is about.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
That's often not the case. It depends on how the judge rules. Many times, if the other party has acted reasonably, each may eat his/her own legal fees.. Just be aware, it's a bit of a craps shoot and may not be part of the judgment if you win... Cases like this is what small claims is about.
ontop of which your agreement probably says that you have to pay your own legal fees, and sue at their venue, etc.

It sucks. The lesson to anyone reading this thread down the road GO TO A REAL MECHANIC
Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure you save all paperwork, and get as much as you can out of the free stuff...
Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
You're just not all that up on reality or you work for an AAMCO. The reality is, this person time is worth something, this person safety is worth something, this person usage of his AAA insurance is worth something (they will cancel you if you use it too much), this persons missed school, work etc. is all worth something. If that shop or chain of shops are that incompetent they need sued. They need sued by a lawyer who is hungry & pissed off. No, I say get a lawyer & hammer AAMCO, there's no excuse for that level of incompetence. Get them for the actual damage; a brand new transmission from & installed by Toyota & also for the OTHER damages too. Sue them, for your sake & for the sake of the next shmuck that walks in their door.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 AM

You're just not all that up on reality or you work for an AAMCO. The reality is, this person time is worth something, this person safety is worth something, this person usage of his AAA insurance is worth something (they will cancel you if you use it too much), this persons missed school, work etc. is all worth something. If that shop or chain of shops are that incompetent they need sued. They need sued by a lawyer who is hungry & pissed off. No, I say get a lawyer & hammer AAMCO, there's no excuse for that level of incompetence. Get them for the actual damage; a brand new transmission from & installed by Toyota & also for the OTHER damages too. Sue them, for your sake & for the sake of the next shmuck that walks in their door.
you're not gunna get all that period, and any lawyer who promises you that shouldn't be trusted. The warranty you agreed to (off their website) says parts & labor. If you read over your service agreement (which i cant find a copy of) im sure it says that you pay your own legal fees for litigation at their chosen venue. Its pretty standard for anything you agree to.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 AM

& also for the OTHER damages too. Sue them, for your sake & for the sake of the next shmuck that walks in their door.
You can sue for whatever you want. That's your right in litigious America.
My point is simple: You may not be granted "other" damages. You could end up with an award for the price of a new transmission and a bunch of lawyer fees that you have to pay on your own...

You could end up with legal fees paid, other damages awarded, and a new transmission - but I wouldn't guarantee it.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

So what have we all learned from this boys and girls?? I was going to, and still am going to rebuild my own when it dies. I always thought AAMCO's ads were shady, and their shops don't look any better run than the Wal Mart lube bays.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rather find a salvage trans for $ and put it in.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 AM

All that is assumed fellas. No one is guaranteed to even win, let alone win it all. I say shoot for the moon & even if you miss you land among the stars....of course I have a really bad temper & getting screwed like that would cause me to blast off into orbit all by itself so I would pay more to fight it on principle alone. That to me is reality. Lay down & take it or stand up & fight it. Win lose or draw you did what was right taking one avenue & lost self respect taking the other. And I couldn't stomach laying down for it; even if all I did was make a mental note of it, wait a couple years & then throw the tranny through their window on some dark night; I'd get my satisfaction. But that's just me. Angry, temperamental grudge holding me.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:11 AM

When I took AAMCO to small claims, I calculated the work days I missed due to breakdowns and whatnot and asked the judge to compensate me for it but his judgement was just for the actual repairs the dealership charged me.

Quick Reply: AAMCO Adventure