Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A43D automatic.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A43D automatic.

Who'd have thought it'd be a problem.

Long story short:
The throttle valve cable (a.k.a. "detent" cable on other transmissions) on my 91 decided to seize. Tried working it loose with PB and it snapped.

Find the manual:
Have to drop the valve body from the transmission to change the cable. Okay, fine. Drain the fluid for 2 days- wouldn't stop dripping. Drop the pan. 2 more days of ATF dripping. We rent so can't leave a mess.

Drop the valve body:
Throttle cable is seized so that's a b****. Gasket gets caught and breaks: need No1 and No2 valve body gaskets. More dripping. Gaskets ordered.

Oops... Diagram lied No1 gasket <> No2 gasket and the shop sent wrong gasket. Replacing those gaskets also means No3 and No4 gaskets are needed too.

Toyota dealer says that according to the VIN, that transmission isn't in my truck and doesn't know what gaskets I need.

Order gaskets I think I need and wait 2 weeks for them to arrive.

Disassemble the valve body and 'dink'... a check valve 'ball' falls out. OH CRAP! ... and then 2 more "DINK". Oh boy, I hate automatics.

New gaskets show up and I go into overdrive looking for the trans manuals. Have to love to love the Russians- they post everything online.

Reassemble the valve body, install the new throttle cable- F*** removing the old one from the frame: can't get to the bolt on top of the transmission. The damned thing has ~200K on it already so I know the transmission's going to need replaced sometime in the next 10 years so I'll deal with it then.

Put it all together... rubber pan gasket and no sealant allowed? How the F*** am I supposed to do that? Thread the bolts in through the holes of the gasket and they hold the gasket in place!

Fill the trans with 2QT fluid, like the book says and... no go. 3QT? No go. 4QT? NOW we're talking. I should've realized that when the 10QT drain pan was half-full after 2 weeks of draining.

Now, no overdrive.

Moral is:
Sometimes people just can't catch a break. My 4Runner was stolen and nearly every tool and piece of test equipment I need to do my normal job was gone- nearly $6,000 dollars worth of stuff, and shortly afterwards the 91 2wd started acting up. Then my wife and I have to take care of our nephew due to 'parental neglect and inaction'. The 91 broke, it wouldn't shift out of 1st and took nearly 2 months for all the parts and stuff to fall in line and still isn't 100%, but is usable. I would normally ask "What have I done?" but I don't want to tempt fate. I see this as a test and I hope I pass.

And the underlying motive is: if you have an A43D transmission, keep that throttle valve cable well lubed and free of rust.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-21-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Woww!!! Almost sounds like you are rebuilding the tranny just for a cable. Unfortunately, even the dealers parts guys just look on the computer and if it isnt there, they dont know. I have to go to a particular dealer as they have a great parts guy. One dealer told me you cant get a new 22re motor,( a guy is looking into purchasing one I know) I knew better and the dealer told me Part Number,Cost, and 7 in stock.

Hope this is the last of your run of bad luck. You should have it out of the way for awhile. It seems like when one thing happens, stand by for a few more things to go wrong for awhile. Keep hoping to see you get your runner back someday.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4R has been gone a year now and I doubt it's returning. I have to be realistic you know.

And yeah, it's like rebuilding the trans to do a cable. Fortunately, I don't have to replace the clutch packs and stuff but I think trying to get the old cable out might have damaged something, or I don't have the cable adjusted properly. I'm hoping the latter is the case since it does hold gears a little longer than expected, as in it thinks the throttle is pressed a little bit farther than it really is- sometimes we have to let up off the pedal for it to shift to the next gear. Funny thing is the shifts are 'soft' now and you can't hardly tell when it does shift if you're not listening to the exhaust sound changing and this does indicate the cable is set incorrectly causing incorrect shift points.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I just been through a similar situation and now I have no overdrive as well. Did you ever fix the overdrive problem?

My transmission seems to be slipping when overdrive is on (1-2-3). When its off, the transmission seems to be shifting fine (1-2-3).
Old 03-07-2016, 01:18 PM

OEM REPLICA SERIES automatic trans electronic module

Hi,

I have a 1986 Toyota Coachman Savannah model on the pickup chassis. It is fully remodeled, and I have it up for sale, however, I have a problem with the OD not kicking in...

I have the 22RE with an A43D transmission. I am trying to find something on the "OEM REPLICA SERIES Automatic Transmission Electronic Module" that is located behind the drivers side kick panel under the dash.

I have tested the Transmission Relay, Thermo Switch, OD Indicator, and the OD Solenoid, and all seem to pass.

I have pictures, but apologize because I do not use external sites like photo bucket.

I am hoping someone has familiarity with this module, but I do believe it is a product of the coach manufacturer. Any help, thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, obviously I am new, and not very forum knowledgeable.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by earlw62
Hi,

I have a 1986 Toyota Coachman Savannah model on the pickup chassis. It is fully remodeled, and I have it up for sale, however, I have a problem with the OD not kicking in...

I have the 22RE with an A43D transmission. I am trying to find something on the "OEM REPLICA SERIES Automatic Transmission Electronic Module" that is located behind the drivers side kick panel under the dash.

I have tested the Transmission Relay, Thermo Switch, OD Indicator, and the OD Solenoid, and all seem to pass.

I have pictures, but apologize because I do not use external sites like photo bucket.

I am hoping someone has familiarity with this module, but I do believe it is a product of the coach manufacturer. Any help, thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, obviously I am new, and not very forum knowledgeable.

I ended up buying another transmission, and never bother to troubleshoot the OD not kicking in problem. But if i have to guess (OD solenoid was good), it would be the Torque converter.