Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A340H rebuild...anyone dared this one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A340H rebuild...anyone dared this one?

Aloha yotatech!...

Ive got a '90 v6 auto p/u...The dreaded auto trans with auto transfer case VF1A...
Story:
Torque Converter had been buzzing for a while and had some minor slipping and slamming in 2/3 gear, so I knew the end was near. However, never had an issue with the 4X4...always been super solid there.
Eventually a piece of torque conv made its way into the stator pump and destroyed the gear, while at the same time welding it into one piece.
So I thought about other options, manual swap - other kind auto trans, etc...but in the end decided to rebuild.

So here's my question to anyone whose attempted this one .... How far can you go without removing the tcase?...I feel ive got the last set of clutches out (which I'm pretty sure is 2nd brake)...Can the output shaft be removed, does it need to be removed?...So far all the orings and seals ive gone through have been pretty good (130K miles only on truck)...Ive been thinking im just gonna let it ride at this point as I have found all the problems that I had been experiencing.

Any suggestions from those A340H rebuilders would be great....

ps...in a perfect world id change out to a 3.4 with a manual or something else, i know this...but this is my situation...

Mahalos
Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 PM

update:

Went out to have another look and did a bit of wiggling and got to the source of the problem...requires toyota super special tool @#@$ ... made my own got out last snap ring and now all is clear from tranny...

But still if anyone who has rebuilt this unit out there in yotatech world has any advice or tips .... much appreciated...

Still not as much PITA as top end rebuild when the 3.0 does its standard headgasket fail...

Old 10-08-2015, 02:19 PM

I tore down my 95 A340 once! and yes the case can be separated. I have done it, however given the complexity of the internals. I would recommend having it professionally rebuilt.

I say this because I know how the A340H is built and it is a confusing mess that works well, but you got to know what your doing to tear it down and build it back properly
Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 PM

wow...o didn't think anyone would reply or had tried this move...most just swap for the r150manuL...I did it cause it was harder...never needed to split the tcase off, thankfully...but looked inside, took the valve body off..
For the rest of it...the trams seemed not so bad as long as you are organized and have good memory...

Mines good as new now and I'm super confident for big rebuilds now...
Thinking of motor swap now...many choices...
Old 11-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not too bad . just did one. Best to have the Toyota manual or better, so you can double check everything as you go. I also had a extra burned out tranny to use to double check everything. Tranny works great now, but I have an issue with the transfer case blowing out fluid at 75 mph. still working on that issue.
You should be able to tear down all the way to the 1st and reverse clutches with out splitting case. The only thing you can't remove is the very first part, the 1st reverse actuators, but you can test those with air pressure and if they are working you can leave them in place
Old 11-02-2015, 01:03 AM

nah...had that licked while back....turns out you can get those 1st and reverse clutches out...snap ring pliers and some encouragement, haha...so you can get everything out of there...

Mine was great outta the gate, but turns out had two bad valves in the valve body, so got a rebuilt one .... Combined with the transgo shift kit, this thing is solid...although in hindsight should have put that effort into a a340f with a modded tcase...was fun and stressful rebuilding though...
I used an non Toyota tranny manual...was good but some little things ended up being wrong...
Old 11-02-2015, 06:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
As I said before,without pulling the transfer case the last actuators are difficult. if you remove the t-case you can fashion a simple tool to remove the actuator and reinstall them.
I also recommend the transco shift kit, not the small 50 dollar one but the complete 99 dollar on. Be sure to check all solenoids also, I got it all together and had the lockup solenoid sticking and had to re open it.
For sealing things up Toyota has a good silicon for transmission fluids, works well but don't over do it. A small bead of sealer will work well, you don't want it squeezing into the trany. I opened one up once and someone use so much all the filters were full of chunk of sealer.