Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'99 4Runner 3.4L acts like in neutral after braking hard

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 4Runner 3.4L acts like in neutral after braking hard

My 4Runner, after braking a little hard, sometime acts like it goes into neutral. When you give it gas, the motor will rev but no movement. After a few seconds, it might "clunk" back into gear while stopped or can be made to do so by shifting into neutral and back to drive. While driving around town or cruising down the highway, you would not know there was a problem until you brake a little hard. When it is cold, there is no problem taking off in reverse or drive. From threads I have searched, some answers might be a bad transmission/shift solenoid or park-neutral switch but I can't find any symtoms on threads that match these very well.

Some background on other problems I have recently had that have been fixed. 1. Had a transmission cooling line fail in the radiator causing "strawberry milkshake" thing. New radiator and mechanic flushed the transmission twice with new filter. 2. Had an ongoing clattering noise while idling or low rpms that gradually got worse. Turned out to be broke out flex plate on flywheel that bolts onto torque converter. This has been fixed. 3. It felt like there was hesitation or "cutting out" when pulling hills or load on motor. My mechanic fixed that with new plugs/ wires, cleaning intake and changing fuel filter that had some nasty looking gas in it.

My mechanic also flushed out my transmission for a third time and put in synthetic fluid but that has not helped the "going into neutral" problem. Fluid is not burnt and no sign of serious problems when flushed. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Hate to consider a new transmission if that is not the problem. Thanks.