Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

97 4Runner V6 4WD, white smoke from tail pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4Runner V6 4WD, white smoke from tail pipe

Sorry for the double post I first posted into the general area.

Good morning all,
This is my first post online so i will try and keep it to the point.

I recently bought a 4runner and notice that it has white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. My fist thought was perhaps oil drip from the valves since the previous oner had the vehicular parked for 2-3 months. But after getting it home and letting it run for 30-40 minutes i still get some puffs of withe smoke, and every time at startup the white smoke is there.

Iv done a new oil change and check the coolant levels and coolant was down, now i'm leaning towards it's a HG. Is their any simple check to see if it's a HG, I was thinking of checking the plugs for sings of whitening. Also

So my question is, do I have to do a HG job right away or can i drag it out some time? Since hunting season if starting and this was suppose to be my hunting truck. Also how long is a HG job I was told 2 day event, now I do have some mechanical skills and the tools for the job.

Also was all entailed in changing the HG, any tip? I'v already downloaded the FSM for the motor.

Thank you for your help guys and girls.

Background on the 4runner: 330K Km = 205miles. Timing belt done at 287K Km previous owner, Oil change seem to have been done on regular at 6K intervals. And as i can see everything of the 4runner is stock.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM

Gustave, I think the hesitation is answering comes from what ever 4runner owner knows,, you are looking at a headjasket job from the sounds of it. Are you see signs of water in your oil, milky or frothty after driving. If you are not it could be that you are not mixing the two yet, and you are burning the antifreeze and water, and sending it out your tail pipe.

To you question about waiting, I wouldnt, as the water/antifreeze puts a good ol hurting on bearing,and such.
2 days is a good estimate for headgaskets.

Tips:
Make sure you find a good mechine shop
Check you heads for warping
You will have to replace some exhaust values with your milage I bet.
TDC is critical as you wil be removing your cams

Keep us posted, and welcome to yotatech, I am new to it myself, and really like it.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 AM

Thank you Sir.
I also have this posted in the general section and was suggested using coolant sealer, whats your take on this?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by gustave_homme
Thank you Sir.
I also have this posted in the general section and was suggested using coolant sealer, whats your take on this?
Coolant Sealer, honestly Gustave, I am not sure what that is
Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Yeah nor did I till it was mentioned but it's "block sealer products out with sodium silicate" it's suppose to circulate in the block and heads and seal small cracks... Some mechanics clams it works.

Just not sure if it's wort the effort to try,, have to do a coolant flush then drive the 4runner for 400-500mile then another coolant flush. But the leak can still come back.

I have the felling just bite the pullet and get it done, then I know the HG is done..
Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM

OK, aluminum power, or similar to short cut what ultimately needs done. If you headgasket has not breach to the point that water is mixing, you will be good, but now telling how long. Once it goes you can still go, but you are doing damage, total judgment call. You are the proud owner of a vehicale that will run on a single cylinder, and still look for trouble to get into.. I am alittle biased, but be nice to it, and it will NEVER leave you on the road.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 PM

Here's my story. I was having a similar problem with white smoke coming out the exhaust. Mostly, it was when I would start the car. The problem became progressively worse until last august, I took a trip down to BC, Mexico. A friend of mind down there, has a lot of experience fixing cars and we were working on my brakes. I told him about the smoke and he surmised that at 120k miles, the head gasket was not the problem. He removed the master cylinder, saw that the seal was broken and said something to the effect that brake fluid was being sucked into the solenoid. I'm Asian, he's Mexican and that was about as much as my limited Spanish could comprehend. After changing the master cylinder, the problem went away. No more white smoke since.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do a compression check and you'll find out if you have a HG failure. DON'T use the sealer you were talking about. It not only fills the gasket leak (for a short while), it will seal up the smaller coolant passages in the engine and plug up the radiator. I have heard numerous horror stories from folks who tried it. There are several HG replacement threads here to read up on to get a good idea of what's involved. Have the heads rebuilt when you have them off and the engine will likely run like new.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it could be a head gasket, I've never personally seen one fail in such a minor way. Generally its pretty catastrophic and its very obvious.

How does the truck run? Does it idle well? Does it have normal power?

If it really is a blown head gasket you'll not want to keep driving it, often a blown head gasket is accompanied by warped heads and continuing to run them isn't going to help matters.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 PM

I agree; though not mech inclined at all, I have had enough cars, and heard enough stories, from pro's and amateur's alike. Avoid using radiator sealant; you are avoiding the inevitable, and it is not good, for small spaces, and in the water pump, i would not do it.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Sorry for getting back so late.

The 4runner has full power, idle fine, dose not over heat. Oil is nice and clean.

I'v recently had to change the rear O2 sensor after ripping if off in the bush. The fuel millage has decent for about 1 week and now it's an absolute atrocity ~120miles to a tank. Prior to changing the O2 sensor i was getting ~ 211miles to the tank

I haven't had the time to rip into it much, as i'm doing reno's to the house, but plan on getting the 4 runner in the shop this winter.

Just wondering when replacing a O2 sensor, and fuel millage decreases should i change the front sensor now also? I'v got 205K mile on the 4 runner with no major repairs to the power train.

Thanks for all the help