86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'96 3.4L High RPM Accel. Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 3.4L High RPM Accel. Issue?

Hey everyone. This is my first post here, but not my first time using yotatech. Found great tips/fixes from your guys posts! However, I can't find the correct (I think) solution to my current "issue". I have searched everywhere online it seems like (to my best ability) so please try not to hate if I didnt search well enough. This will be really long so please bare with me. Hard to explain over text, but here I go... I drive a '96 3.4L MT 4x4 tacoma with 218000 miles on him. Had him since I was 16. Great rig! I thought all was normal until I drove my 3 buddies toyotas.
'96 3.4L MT 4x4 4runner 185000 miles
'97 3.4L MT 4x4 4runner 155000 miles
'97 3.4L MT 4x4 Tacoma 180000 miles
So my "issue" is this and its probably been like this for years or day 1 even. Never noticed until I drove their rigs. Compared to theirs my taco accelerates slower from 3000rmp and up. You can feel it pick up but not like theirs. 1st gear it revs hard, but hit 2nd and on it doesnt accelerate like theirs. The biggest thing I notice is that from 3" pedal from floor to pedal to the floor their is no acceleration rate change. It sounds like the engine isnt opening more throttle between that pedal range. My buddies have a noticeable engine grunt that you can tell its full throttle when you put your foot down. Mine seems to stay stuck at like 3/4 throttle even with foot to the floor. Its easiest to feel doing like 45 in 3rd and punching it from 3" from floor to floor. Just revs like he isnt opening full throttle. No rpm rate change. Almost as if 3" from the floor is its full throttle. In a nut shell, from 3/4 throttle or pedal to the floor its still the same rpm increase rate from about 3200 on up. My truck by FAR has been up kept the best. My list of recent changes/upkeeps:

-both o2 sensors
-Spark plugs and wires
-Fuel filter
-Cleaned MAS
-Airbox mod with AFE filter
-New PCV
-New fluids in tranny, diffs, transfer, engine (synthetic every 4k), ect
-Cleaned TB (took off and scrubbed, but was almost spotless anyways)
-Knock off Flowmaster (welded in)
-New belts, timing belt, water pump
-Injector cleaners, sea foam, and fuel additives (regularly)
-checked and replaced one vacuum hose that was cracked
-fuses all good

The other 3 have only done mufflers and the '96 runner has K&N intake sys. Boy that '96 runner pulls.. hard. Kills the others and mine from a dig or off the line. Just has a snappy/mean throttle response. He got a 'good' lemon I guess haha I know my rig has the highest miles, but its been like this for as long as I can remember (only noticed once I drove their rigs though). The wires/plugs did clear the tiny tiny deadspot I had once upon a time, but thats it. The cables were original 1996 until 6months ago ha Its just not snappy like theirs. Even sitting in neutral theirs revs up quicker and snappier. Especially that damn '96 runner.. It feels like something is weighing my throttle response/snappiness. Sludge? High miles? TPS? Another leaky vacuum hose? Plugged cat? Mine is an early '96 model and the engine is setup a tiny bit different than the other 3. One, it has the flat driver side valve cover. Theirs have the ribbed VC, but that shouldnt matter? Their vacuum lines are also set up differently on their upper plenum. Why these differences? Got me... Does it matter? Probably not. Maybe improvements? I hope this makes some sense ha This thread has similar symptoms to mine but no answer: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...pm-lag-257476/
I also have the lightest tire/wheel combo (32's and they all have heavy 33's M/Ts). Truck throws no codes either. Sorry for all this, but I am curious to if this is an "issue" or just how it is. Half asleep doing this so sorry for the rambling as well. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your truck is maintained well.

Are you all running the same size tires with the same gear ratios??

All the same transmissions ? I hear tell the manuals will eat the autos alive having two manuals I never drove a automatic.

Are the curb weights of all vehicles within a few hundred pounds of each other.

The answer to these questions should shed some light on your issue.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running smaller and lighter 32" M/T's. The other 3 are running bigger and heavier 33" M/T's so i have them beat in that area. All have the 5-speed toyota manuals in them. I believe the tacoma is a few hundred pounds lighter than the 4runner. So all of this should be helping me ha We all have stock gears in them, but not sure if they are different from 4runner to tacoma and from '96-'98 ish. If anything the 4runners seemed taller geared... So why are those 2 and the tacoma snappier/quicker than mine? Still dont know..