Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4x4 pickup xtra,just did head gasket replacement,still losing coolant,still rusty.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4x4 pickup xtra,just did head gasket replacement,still losing coolant,still rusty.

So I just did head gasket job a couple weeks ago,for a couple of reasons.1 had to add about a quart of coolant every couple of days,with no puddles under the truck.2 my coolant was rusty brown no matter how many times I flushed it.There was no coolant in the oil though.And I had no overheating issues,but the exhaust smelled a little sweet.Also no puddles in the truck from heater core issues.So I did the Felpro head gasket kit job.Water pump,oil pump,timing belt,plugs wires cap and rotor.No I didnt have the heads checked and decked.Couldnt afford to,I used Permatex copper gasket seal.In hindsight I would like the reasurance of having them done but I was broke.I broke the rear bvsv valve on the intake manifold by the firewall and super glued it together and covered it with gasket seal.Temporary fix,new part on order from dealership be here in a couple of days. Ive been driving it for two weeks now I thought succesfully,Ive been checking coolant levels and noticed a couple of days ago the coolant levels starting to deplete again and it was rusty brown again.What is the friggin problem?Next question,is a 87-88 3.0 v 6 block the same as a 95?Im thinking the 95 block might have corrossion issues and was thinking of pulling the block from the 87-88 and doing a sap using the top end from the 95.Or continuing to drive the 95 while I pull the block from the 87-88 and rebuild the whole kit and kaboodle then use the top end from the 95 and put it in the 95.Any suggestions?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don`t know anything about the 3.0 engines, but did you retorque the heads after a couple hundred miles ?. You can get a test kit at the parts store and test for exhaust gases in the coolant. You might also do a compression test to see were your at.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 AM

No I didnt retorque heads.

Ive never heard of retorqueing head bolts.Once you torque them you also sequentially turn them in two 90 degree successions,which brings them beyond torque.I wouldnt know what the torque was at that point.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Roofmaster
Ive never heard of retorqueing head bolts.Once you torque them you also sequentially turn them in two 90 degree successions,which brings them beyond torque.I wouldnt know what the torque was at that point.
yes. you are right.

have you done a compression test?

are you running just water or do you have coolant in it?

massive amounts of rust etc before our rebuild and put TOYOTA RED coolant in AFTER the rebuild and no more rust (I'm sure there is still some roaming around but not like it was).

Not sure I can offer much help, but what I do know after our 2 builds is that very small coolant leaks become bigger leaks when pressurized.

the obvious culprits have to be ruled-out though....big hoses, small hoses(the G-D ones on the back of the plenum), radiator, heater core, heater hoses (ask me how I know that one).

so like I said, not much help except to re-state the obvious. I know that when we had my son's 3vze out and was douching out the coolant passages, there was stuff in there, like the equivalent of clumped baby powder that I am assuming was either from mineral deposits from using tap-water or just electrolysis from bad coolant and water. in other words, it probably would have taken forever and a day to dissolve these HUGE chunks of stuff and possibly and probably would have blocked things up for us.

I've read, and been confused by, the threads regarding what coolant to use. ........so we use TOYOTA RED just like the manual says.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
First things first.

1. Do a cooling system pressure check. Sears has reliable kits for around $50, but I 'm sure you can obtain one from any parts store. Don't be tempted to use more than 15 psi or you could blow out something~

2. If you haven't replaced the radiator cap, do so. You can check it first with the above pressure kit, but they're only about $7 from the dealer.

3. Let us know what you've found. I'm amazed at the number of folks who'll do an entire HG job without simply doing a coolant test first.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM

No I didnt do a pressure test.

I didnt do one on the cooling system or the cylanders.Even if I were loosing coolant from a leak somewhere in the cooling system wouldnt there be liquid somewhere and or steam coming from somewhere.And what would a pressure test on the cylanders tell me.I replaced all vacuum lines on the rebuild and any hoses that were in the least compromised.I still have like ten feet of left over new hoses of various sizes.After initial tear down there was tons of stuff in the cooling ports especially in one of the heads,like friggin grey play dough.Really rusty water.I ran it straight tap water for about six weeks prior to tear down,and water in Carver Ma. is all minerally,is that a word?I started tearing the 3.0 out of my 87-88 today got down to the block,be out tomorrow I hope Im not really driveing the 95 tomorrow except lugging tools and parts from shed to front yard where donor truck is.I wont be able to do any testing for at least a couple of days and Im so broke I cant pay attention,so I couldnt afford Toyota red if I wanted to.I have green 50\50 water now.Oh on a positive note the bvsv valve I ordered from Toyota is here ($150) and a negative note,I ran into that part on todays teardown,good as new,DOHH.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:35 AM

Dont get me wrong,truck seems to be performing OK

This 95 4x4 xtra cab is my third Toyota truck.Both previous trucks were 22r and 22re.I bought this truck about 4 months ago specifically because it was a 3.0 v-6.The truck also had some issues I knew about going into.Suspension,fixed.Axle,replaced.Front bumper,replaced.Rotted bed,replaced.I suspected I would have head gasket problems in the future as I was a frequent visitor to yotatech because of my other trucks.Yotatech actually walked me through my 86 4x4 xtra cab,22re head gasket repair.She was my baby,I drove the 86 for ten years.(And if you knew the history of that truck you would think I was nuts for even buying it)I am completely satisfied with this 95 and the 3.0 I dont know why everyone is so down on it.Maybe because Im easy to please,I dont know.Even before the head gasket rebuild it ran good,but I was paranoid about overheating and blowing a head gasket on the road,as I did with the 86.(she was possessed,quite a truck,Wiseco pistons,rings,mallory distributor,coil,33x12.5 BF Goodrich,deep alluminum rims,4 barrel Holley carb,thats right I said it a 22re with a 4 barrel Holley carb,old school) I digress.Anyway,after the head gasket repair two weeks ago I was elated I single handed tackled this and did it,kinda nipped this thing in the bud,so to speak.Its running well,its my DD,and wheeler so it gets it done,I baby her so I'll try not to ever put it in a position where I will damage it.But like a scorned lover of the past,(metaphor to the 86,and or my wife?) the head gasket issue haunts me,sometimes in my sleep.And since I spent about 60 hours at least,not exagerating,disassembling,bagging tagging every nut,bolt,part....pictures,video,this 3.0 still occupies space in the back of my head.So as I end my book I will leave you with this,she"s running great,but Im obsessed.She wont catch me off guard.Im ending this incessant girly keyboard tapping and going out to my 4th Toyota (87-88) to continue removeing her heart,her soul,her lifes blood,her 3.0.So that in the event my newly beloved 95 4x4 xtra cab,breaks my heart I"ll have the ability to tear hers out and replace it.I"ll be back.Oh and its got a manual transmission,my 95 has an automatic.INTRUIGING
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM

I did all the repairs on 95

All the issues,axle,suspension,bed and front bumper (with modifications) came from the 86,thinking about putting the grille in there also (needs some modifications)I swapped these parts to the 95.Havnt put the tires and rims on yet.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM

I got the 87-88 3.0 out,seems like the same block as the 95.

I spent the day removing the engine,its hanging on the lift for the night I'll be putting it on the stand tomorrow and removing manual transmission.The 87-88 3.0 block looks exactly the same as the 95,for those who might be interested.The heads look the same also.I still havnt had a chance to do any compression tests on my DD.Hope to be able to get to it Saturday.I'll post results.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 AM

My old 86 was the worst running truck I ever owned

When I bought the 86 4x4 xtra cab 15 years ago I bought it from a guy who was commissioned by some college kid to apparantly build him a wheeler while he was away at school.The guy removed the cab and bed,completely restored the frame and cab and replaced the bed with a new aftermarket.I happened to be shopping for a new truck and wanted a Toyota.I looked at a few and all had decomposing frames.When I saw the 86 I was in love.Metalic grey over an impecable frame.I wasnt to concerned when I asked him to pop the hood and saw a Holley 4 barrel sitting on top off this little 4 cylander,and less concerned about all the EFI wires zip tied in a ball at the bottom of the engine.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 AM

Who takes fine Japanese EFI engineering and replaces it with a 4 barrel Holley?

The bigger question is who then buys it?Me.Idiot.