86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4Runner won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4Runner won't start

Okay, hopefully I include all the information I need to here so that hopefully you guys can help me out. On Thursday I got my heads back from the machine shop and started the reinstall of everything on Friday evening.

Today I finished getting the majority of everything back together with the exception of the power steering pump, distributor and timing belt and covers. I was wanting to attempt to turn the truck over to break loose the bolt on the crankshaft - that was a no go since I didn't get anything. Well not anything, but the truck wouldn't turn over at all.

At the moment, I have working headlights and interior lights, but nothing else works. No power door locks, no windows, nothing.....

Could it be a ground strap issue? Possible connector not connected correctly? Forgot to mention, this is for the 3.0 V6.

TIA!

Andy

Last edited by simpsoap; 09-20-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:57 PM

a little more info - not getting any dash lights either, clock isn't working, or the radio. When the truck was pulled into the garage last weekend all was working. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checked your fuses? What about harness cables? Are those ALL connected? If not what do you have disconnected?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by 24Runna
Checked your fuses? What about harness cables? Are those ALL connected? If not what do you have disconnected?
Fuses all look good, and all cables which were unplugged looked to be plugged in correctly.

Looking back at the install guide from the Toyota guide, I'm curious to know if I got the ground straps connected correctly. The left side ground strap goes to the alternator right? I don't recall disconnected a ground strap on the right, and all other connectors are connected (or so I can see). Currently the heads are reassembled, fuel rails and injectors as well as intake manifold and chamber. The only things not currently connected are the radiator, power steering pump, and the timing belt and such. I was hoping to just turn the engine over to break loose the nuts on the crankcase pulley.

Ideas?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:26 AM

Have you tested the battery? Could be dead enough to not power everything. Defiantly check grounds, that could be an issue, but I don't see why that would effect half of your stuff not working.

I would also check that cables look good (not frayed or broken) it could be that when you we're reinstalling/removing the heads, you accidentally caught a line and either frayed it or cut it or something, that would be the next thing I would look for.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 AM

Have you tested the battery? Could be dead enough to not power everything. Defiantly check grounds, that could be an issue, but I don't see why that would effect half of your stuff not working.

I would also check that cables look good (not frayed or broken) it could be that when you we're reinstalling/removing the heads, you accidentally caught a line and either frayed it or cut it or something, that would be the next thing I would look for.

Good luck!
I haven't tested the battery, but it was only out of the truck for two weeks. I took a bunch of before pics, but the only ground I see coming from the back firewall goes to the top of the intake manifold, right?

As for the ground strap coming off the left fender apron, does this go to the alternator? that's were I grounded that one, and I don't believe I took a ground off the right fender apron. I can say for certain that I know I took extreme care when removing everything and all wires are intact and not frayed.

~Andy
Old 09-21-2009, 07:05 AM

From where on the left fender apron?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 AM

From where on the left fender apron?
I guess that's what I'm asking, does it go from the left fender apron to the alternator or to the block near #4 cylinder?

Andy
Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 AM

It shouldn't be too hard to break that bolt loose, I was able to. I think I put it in1st and had it backed up against a wall and then used a cheater bar and hammer. And I think that the ground goes to the #4 cyl.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mrddk92
It shouldn't be too hard to break that bolt loose, I was able to. I think I put it in1st and had it backed up against a wall and then used a cheater bar and hammer. And I think that the ground goes to the #4 cyl.
No luck yet on the bolt!

Is it possible for someone to post a pic for me of this ground going to the #4 cyl?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Oh! goes on the block. How did you get it all the way to the alt (are talking with the same orientation? looking at the truck from the front?)
Old 09-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Oh! goes on the block. How did you get it all the way to the alt (are talking with the same orientation? looking at the truck from the front?)
Where can I find a pic of all the ground strap locations? Looking from the front of the truck, there is a ground strap coming off the right front fender, where does this go? alt? On the back of the firewall I have a ground going to the top of the intake manifold. Where else should there be one going?

Andy
Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 AM

Can anyone supply me with a pic or pictures of the ground strap locations?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions - ended up finding out that the truck didn't have power because of an Alternator 80A fuse. I guess it was slowly dying or had intermittent connectivity. I replaced the fuse and all seems good now. Finishing up the exhaust tonight and then should be able to take her for a quick drive. Thanks again!

Andy