86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4runner Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner Vibration

Hello, I recently purchased a 95 4runner V6 4wd Auto. When ever you get above 45 there is this vibration feels like its from the rear. No wiggling of the steering wheel just feel and hear the vibration from the rear. It seems to only occur on deacceleration and has to be above 45mph. I tried moving the driveshafts to see if the U-joints were bad, but they are solid no movement. I've also tried turning off Overdrive. Which you feel less vibration, but it is still there. Vibration is also the same in 4wd.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM

well im sorry to hear about your problems a lot of runners and pickups have vibration on this site.I myself am one them.I have rebalanced my tires over and over again and it seems to fix it for a brief amount of time.So i start checking every possible thing it could be on the truck.Im gonna list a few things you should check but first I highly recommend you getting your tires balanced.
check idler arm if you have vibration in steering wheel.
check to see if you have a hyper extended cv on the ifs
check to make sure your not in 4wd im assuming you have the automatic locking hubs which don't unlock until you reverse the vehicle.
check for mud on the inside of the rims on all 4 tires.
check shocks maybe they are absolutely shot mine are haha
if none of those seem to fix the problem look into new tires and or rims and untrue rim could cause the vibration as well.

that should get you started.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Alpine.$tar^
Hello, I recently purchased a 95 4runner V6 4wd Auto. When ever you get above 45 there is this vibration feels like its from the rear. No wiggling of the steering wheel just feel and hear the vibration from the rear. It seems to only occur on deacceleration and has to be above 45mph. I tried moving the driveshafts to see if the U-joints were bad, but they are solid no movement. I've also tried turning off Overdrive. Which you feel less vibration, but it is still there. Vibration is also the same in 4wd.

Do nothing.

1. When Harley Davidson finds out you are trying to horn in on their action they are going to slap you with a C & D.

2. When the lawyers come over, just give them the keys and let them do their job. They'll leave your rig vibration free.

Oh, wait...
I forgot to take my Lithium.

Nevermind...

Old 06-26-2009, 05:21 PM

X2 on getting your tires balanced.
If that does not work you might also want to make sure your rear bearings are ok. I had one go bad but it was more like a fast dipping feeling vs a vibration.
For those that can not keep their tires balanced, might want to look into auto balancers.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:11 PM

speaking of auto balancers I just bought my dad some for his f250 on 39 inch tsl's on fathers day the balancers are freaking ridiculously nice best money I think i've ever spent lol
Old 06-27-2009, 02:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have to lift up the back end and look through it. If it turns out to be the rims are bent its even more reason for me to buy the Cragar Soft 8 rims. I will have to search to find out about these auto balancers they sound interesting.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:48 AM

I have a 98 4 Runner i bought last fall and shortly after it had the same problem. The drive shaft had no slop in it but when I removed it the rear joint was very stiff. Replaced both joints, problem solved. Just a thought for you, Good luck and nice to see another CT. person on the forum, Pete
Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Alpine.$tar^
Here is what I have been going through with my vibrations and have come to the conclusion that, I will not know what is causing the problem until it breaks and then I'll know fore sure I hope.This 4runner has been a nightmare for me I thought I was getting a Toyota not a Little Red Deamon.....worse truck I have ever owned!!
Frustrated vibes!! last chance for the 4runner

I feel like the transmission is still the culprit and it seems to be the case. It has a lot of slack in it and is starting to whine some from possibly the pump, and the O.D. makes a noise when off and not to mention that the rear output shaft nut was loose even though it was staked from the factory go figure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

95 4runner Sr5 4x4 3.0 A340H(auto) 4.88 gears... and 179,000
and it has a vibration issue which I and 3 repair shops can't figure out where it's coming from.I would have thought that this issue would have been long gone by now but it's not...it has been 8 months sense I have purchased this 4runner and what a disappointment it has been so far or maybe I'm just frustrated..but it is still running and getting me to and from work 250 miles a week but for how much longer until it breaks down?..I carry about 150lbs of repair tools in the cargo area for such a thing because I don't know when it's going to just burn up

I have just about had it with this 4runner!.I'm not one to give up but I think I'm getting my butt kicked on this one, and if I can't fix it... then I'm going to sale it.I can't keep driving the 4runner knowing that something is going on with it and you know how that feels terrible terrible

I have spent over $2,000.00 in new parts(have all receipts) chasing this issue plus the price of the 4runner. I'm up to having almost $5,000.00 in a 4runner that is only worth well I don't know what it's worth but I'm sure it's not $5,000..I feel like I have given my all to this 4runner and even given up other things to put all my attention on trying to fix it but now I need to fix it or move on....

My issues again that I'm still having problems with starting with while engine is running and some things going on while moving
#1.)The engine running @ idle I can raise the rpms up to 2000 and start getting a vibration that I can feel while sitting in the seat.I can keep raising the rpms up to 3500-4000 and the vibration is really bad I can feel it through the auto shifter stick.I can feel the vibrations on the front bumper and front rims and steering wheel(while in park)
#2.)I can put the 4runner transmission in reverse engine idle 750rpms and it goes in gear easy with little bump.I go from Reverse to Drive and I get a somewhat long delay then a hard bump/hard slam, like there is a lot of play in the rotation transmission output shaft.The transmission feels like it shifts ok through all the gears but when driving and switching off the overdrive, I get a vary pronounced vibration I would call it and the shifter is really feeling like something is going on.I can accelerate and decelerate and feel a lot of slack in the drive train and when I put the transmission in Neutral I can still feel the vibration although it's not as bad
#3.)I feel that when the vibration is at it's worse while driving down the road rpms @ 4000 I can cut the engine, and it feels like the vibration goes away or is almost not noticeable at that point.I turn the ignition back on (4runner still rolling along)and the vibes are back
4.)While driving and coming to a stop I can feel a bump after I stop maybe it's the slack in the transmission or the torque converter?
#5.)I can feel a shaking in the 4runner while driving speeds above sh and seems to get worse the longer I drive it ,and can feel a bumping in the floor board,seat area and the auto shifter is bouncing around.I can here my tools in the cargo area clanging around.I also can here a humming some times and it sounds like a bearing of some kind trying to catch up with the rpms of the engine and it is rough feeling and does catch up with the rpms of the engine and will not be so bad at that point.It kinda smooths out at different rpms of the engine not sure if it's wheel bearing OR rear ring and pinion related
#6.)I can jack up the rear with tires above the ground start the engine and put it in Drive and I can feel a vibration while accelerating from speeds sh all the way up to about sh and can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and the 4runner is shaking OR bouncing badly and also when I decelerate .I can feel a hard bump when stopping the wheels.I turn off the engine and put the transmission in Neutral go to the rear tires and rotate them.I can feel some slack when one wheel is between turning the other(this may be normal?).I can also feel a clunking around and here some kind of noise while turning the wheels from both sides forward and backward maybe bad wheel bearings OR something clunking around in the transmission?

I have replaced the following parts trying to fix this issue
1.new tires & balance,new CV shaft,new front inner & outer wheel bearings with cones and torqued per the FMS,new shocks all 4,front rotors & pads and caliper on drivers side,new center link,inner outer tie rod ends,pitman arm,idler arm,rear brake shoes and 1 drum, new u-joints on rear drive shaft (replaced twice for good measure) and they are in phase, rebuilt rear RD member(thought my original was bad but not the case)so I just replaced for nothing,TPS set per FMS,used VAFM working fine,Toyota plug wires.new plugs.dis cap & rotor,new valve cover gaskets,plenum gasket,drivers side motor mount,transmission mount,new air filter,fuel filter,changed all fluids in tranny,rear RD and front chunk,
I really don't know where to go from here.....I feel like the repair shop's didn't take the amount of time to diagnosis my problem or they really didn't know what was going on...not sure which is which
I will edit this when needed
any help will be appreciated

Last edited by buckz6319; 06-27-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:43 AM

My problem isn't nearly as bad as yours. I have a 95 4runner SR5 Limited 4x4 3.0 not sure which transmission, but I believe the A430H and 168,000 Miles. Only time I feel a vibration is when I let off the gas over 45mph. I feel the vibration in the seat and it sounds to be coming from the rear. It may be the wheel bearings, but when I go around and shake all the tires there is no play in the hubs, there is no play in the driveshaft and nothing in the suspension on the rear looks damaged or is loose.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Well I believe I have found my problem. The other day when I was looking under my truck trying to figure out what could be vibrating while greasing the u-joints. I noticed some oil on the back side of the passenger rear tire. So today I lifted up the back end of the truck and took of the rim and drum brake assembly. That seal is leaking quite a bit and there is oil all inside the drum brake. Also I noticed a slight play in the driver side rear hub. So after I come back from vacation in Canada this weekend I will be ordering the rear axle kit from marlin and replacing all seals and bearings in the rear end.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was gonna say to lube ALL zerks it helped my vibe issue.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:18 PM

Alpine.$tar^
I hope that cures your problem and good luck.....
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM

I work at a machine shop and this is my 2nd vehicle so I can take the axles to work to install the bearings and while I'm there I will check the run out of the axles on V-blocks. Also my brother looked up on the toyota network today and found that the head gaskets were done in 02 and the front suspension/steering was replaced in 06 by Toyota and I will be bringing it in for new fluid/filter in the transmission and differentials next week.

Last edited by Alpine.$tar^; 06-29-2009 at 04:41 PM.