Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4runner Over drive and Egr issue (back story included)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 95 4runner Over drive and Egr issue (back story included)

Hey everyone this is my first thread, i have a 95 toyota 4runner and she has been with me since 2012, iv'e been trying to figure her out for the years ive had her, she has rebuilt heads since we bought her with blown headgaskets. anyways After the first two years having her she would stumble, buck and wont do squat and being a high school kid with no money i had to drive like this for about a good year and a half, i cleaned up the air intake and next thing you know it! ITS FIXED! But then i ran into a problem when i started to drive with my headlights i would loose power and my car would start shifting randomly, i would continuously check the motor and i knew it was an electrical issue, especially with the transmission, beacuse as soon as i would throw her into drive my motor would start to get affected with loss of power, and erratic shifting which i believe was the 3rd gear(O/D) Well now im starting my second semester in college i decided to really get to the bottom of the check engine and the headlight problem. i started off by adding new grounds and re surfacing all the other grounds of the car.

lets just say i did the "Big Three Upgrade" and now i can drive in confidence! but soon after i noticed my check engine light is off, my transmission is working and no more problem... I was wrong! the Light just came on, and i tried to pull the codes and i got a code 71 for my Egr Valve and then My O/D was just flashing erracticly! i couldnt get a code for my transmission, I dont understand, since i added new grounds from engine to chasis and chasis to negative terminal, Both separate. Its still giving me codes? the egr connector got stripped clean from the wire but i fixed it which i believe is the culprit, but i dont understand why the O/D light is flashing, when i drive it doesn't flash only when i put the paper clip in to check for codes. I know the new grounds helped, im also going to connect another cable straight to the alternator which is part of the big three. I love my truck and this was a brief description of whats been going on, i could say more but i already fixed the issues with her, i just dont understand why my transmission is flashing like this, also my tachometer works fine. i mean if im going 75 im acually going 80... could this be the code or its acually the O/D thats the culprit?

Please excuse the horrible misspelled words, and run on sentences, it's 3 o'clock and im tired... cheers
Old 09-29-2014, 12:45 AM

most of those commas was meant to be periods ._. sorry for the difficult writing
Old 09-29-2014, 07:09 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by pewdiepie
... but i dont understand why the O/D light is flashing, when i drive it doesn't flash only when i put the paper clip in to check for codes....
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...31diagnosi.pdf
If it only flashes (2 hertz) with the jumper (paper clip), that's normal.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by scope103

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...31diagnosi.pdf
If it only flashes (2 hertz) with the jumper (paper clip), that's normal.
It dosn't flash a code, it's just an eratic flash when I connect the paperclip. The check engine came on code 71 as soon as I turned on my highbeams, I just reseted the ecu and no codes yet, maybe untill I turn my highbeams on