Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4runner misfire, horrific mpg

Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner misfire, horrific mpg

Hello all!

I'm at a point where I think I'm close to figuring out the problem, but at the same time I have had the problem for so long I'm almost ready to just get rid of it. I'm not a mechanic, but I do have a general idea of whats up under the hood, and love to learn. So any advice will be awesome, but know that I might not have any clue as to what you're talking about, so don't be afraid to explain whatever it is you're talking about. Also, I'm new to forums in general. hope I didn't just paint a target on myself.

I got my 95 Toyota 4runner (3 liter 2WD, 170,000m) about 2 years ago. My cousin had it before me, and took good care of it. The guy who had it before him took ridiculously and disturbingly good care of it. However, I'm not sure my cousin did the proper maintenance to keep it ship-shape. It had an oil leak in the time he owned it, and obviously I inherited it (it's a super-slow leak, but a leak none-the-less). I had no mechanical issues whatsoever until a year ago . It was a hotter summer than even this one (Louisiana), and I was stopped at a red light when the whole vehicle started to shimmy and shake. I immediately pulled into a parking lot and turned it off, then on again. In park, no problem. In reverse, horrible shaking. In neutral, super-small amount of shaking. Drive, ridiculous shaking. I had no clue, so I just turned it off and waited. I turned it back on again, and there was no issue at all in any gear. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but to make a year-long story short, it progressively happened more and more often, the occurrences lasting longer each time. To add to the confusion, a new noise appeared: a metallic tapping sound that only happens maybe 1/4 drives, and ONLY when I accelerate. As I listen to the engine, I've noticed a chug-chug sound consistent with the shimmy and shake. It sounds like a misfire, but it's constant.

What I have tried (chronological order):

Replaced spark plug wires (which, by the way, one had to have 2 inches cut off of it to fit onto the spark plug)

Replaced spark plugs

Replaced fuel filter

Now what's interesting (at least to me) is that after I changed the spark plug wires, there was no change in the engine sound or the shimmy. BUT, two days AFTER, the problem(s) seemed to go away. It didn't come back for another 2 weeks. But once it did, it was there to stay.

Again, any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Joe
Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well; We need to know if its a 3.0 V6, transmission type & other particulars.

Sounds like a 3.slo that fried the head gasket.

Run a compression test on all clyinders, and probably 5 & 6 are the same and low, which means you should consider replacing the engine.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by skypilot

Run a compression test on all clyinders, and probably 5 & 6 are the same and low, which means you should consider replacing the engine.
That's a lot of assumptions. Since you can't read: "I got my 95 Toyota 4runner (3 liter 2WD, 170,000m) about 2 years ago."

He said the symptoms come & go, which wouldn't indicate a HG.

I'm thinking an issue with your auto transmission, such as torque converter going bad.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:41 AM

Well, I have a breaking news update. Last night, immediately after posting my question, I went outside just to check the vacuum hoses one more time, and while i was out there, I figured I would twiddle with the sensors I could see without having to dig around. I started on the passenger side, and worked me way to the driver side. I'm not sure which fuel injector sensor it is, but I noticed it wasn't completely pushed in, so I pushed it in and heard a click. Along with this click was the sound of my vehicle running exactly as it had the day I got it.

So now it kind of makes sense (help me out here): Were the fluctuations in performance cause by this sensor bouncing around, sometimes being plugged in, and sometimes not?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 AM

Hard to say based on the info provided but all signs point to yes.

Originally Posted by skypilot

Haha...funny how some people see an issue with a 3VZ-E and say 'head gasket'. Anyhoo...
Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 PM

My first guess was going to be an electrical problem because it was intermittent. Glad you figured it out because sometimes those things can drive you crazy. Incidentally, I'm at 250,000 miles on my 3slow and original head gaskets. It's still working fine (knock on wood) and I'm the original owner.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
That's a lot of assumptions. Since you can't read: "I got my 95 Toyota 4runner (3 liter 2WD, 170,000m) about 2 years ago."

He said the symptoms come & go, which wouldn't indicate a HG.

I'm thinking an issue with your auto transmission, such as torque converter going bad.
actually this is exactly what mine did when the hg went. if its a little leak it wont be noticeable until idling for a while then the cyl fill up enough to mis but once your off and runnin it clears up. as my leak got worse so did the stumbling not just at idle anymore and i was making white smoke,steam. once it got to the point where it hydrolocked from being parked i had to do the deed and tear into it. if you do them yourself do yourself a favor and pull the motor first, or unbolt heads and pull as a chunk with intake and crossover still attached it will save you time
Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry just saw the end and it seems you nailed it with whatever sensor it was. KABOOM always feels good to have your truck running right