Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4Runner Hood Scoop (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4Runner Hood Scoop (PICS)

Hey guys, a few of you had some questions on my hood scoop, i took as many pics as possible of mine. This is the best looking hood scoop i could find for the 90-95 4Runners.. On my Car it is a functunal hood Scoop which cools the hot intake manifold with ram air.The cooler the air is going into the cylinders the more efficient it becomes.Most modern engines have plastic intakes for this reason.The only problem is YOU HAVE TO CUT A HOLE IN YOUR HOOD...OUTCH!!!!! Mine is painted with auto quality black and has white vinyl graphics on it.I also removed the double sided tape and used silicone to stick it on the hood..much stronger.
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mil...ee0re2&.src=ph
http://stores.ebay.com/Zomk-Speed-Ra...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Last edited by milowilli; 01-14-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 PM

i don't think putting a scoop over the manifold is going to do anything for performance. the air coming into the intake is moving fast enough that cooling the manifold down a few degrees isn't going to do much to the density of the charge entering the cylinders. same reason why insulating a cold air intake doesn't make a difference as long as the filter is away from engine heat. unless you're having problems with underhood temps becuase of headers or something it's probably not a great idea to cut a hole in your hood, it's just another way to dump water on your engine.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

whats with the Jet Fuel only sticker?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:59 PM

Why Are Auto manufacturers now making plastic intake manifolds?

Last edited by milowilli; 01-07-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by rentedmule
i don't think putting a scoop over the manifold is going to do anything for performance. the air coming into the intake is moving fast enough that cooling the manifold down a few degrees isn't going to do much to the density of the charge entering the cylinders. same reason why insulating a cold air intake doesn't make a difference as long as the filter is away from engine heat. unless you're having problems with underhood temps becuase of headers or something it's probably not a great idea to cut a hole in your hood, it's just another way to dump water on your engine.
Though you make a good point about the water, you are wrong about the intake air being the same no matter what. I can't say that this scoop will cool the intake manifold or not, but insulating an intake will help. Will you see a huge performance gain from it, NO. But, heat soak is an issue.....not really on normally aspirated engines, but a turbo or supercharged engine it is. He is greatly reducing underhood temperatures with this scoop which in turn help the engine breathe better.

Also, headers do not make underhood temperature higher. In fact they will reduce underhood temperatures. Headers flow better making the exhaust evacuate the engine faster. Header wrap exists not because of underhood heat, but to insulate the exhaust gas keeping it hotter. Hotter gas moves faster than cooler gas. It's a simple physics issue.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Jet Fuel only?? Haaaa.. I burn that in the Jets and Turboprops when i fly them.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:03 PM

I never had a problem with water on my 3.0..I have had this engine completely submerged and it came out without a sputter.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5
Though you make a good point about the water, you are wrong about the intake air being the same no matter what. I can't say that this scoop will cool the intake manifold or not, but insulating an intake will help. Will you see a huge performance gain from it, NO. But, heat soak is an issue.....not really on normally aspirated engines, but a turbo or supercharged engine it is. He is greatly reducing underhood temperatures with this scoop which in turn help the engine breathe better.

Also, headers do not make underhood temperature higher. In fact they will reduce underhood temperatures. Headers flow better making the exhaust evacuate the engine faster. Header wrap exists not because of underhood heat, but to insulate the exhaust gas keeping it hotter. Hotter gas moves faster than cooler gas. It's a simple physics issue.
i was thinking of a stock engine when talking about heat soak on the intake. if it was SC'd or turbo'd then a scoop for the after/intercooler would be the way to go. just doesn't seem like the marginal increase in performance (if any) would be worth the hole in the hood, especially for a truck like that that looks like it's wheeled alot. i also understand how headers work but if they're not coated or insulated somehow underhood temps can go up alot.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:38 PM

i was thinking of a stock engine when talking about heat soak on the intake. if it was SC'd or turbo'd then a scoop for the after/intercooler would be the way to go. just doesn't seem like the marginal increase in performance (if any) would be worth the hole in the hood, especially for a truck like that that looks like it's wheeled alot. i also understand how headers work but if they're not coated or insulated somehow underhood temps can go up alot.
I would actually agree with you on that. When you are wheeling you aren't moving very fast. Any cooling advantage that you might see directed air over the engine is eliminated when you are crawling along a mountain trail.

On daily driving, the hood scoop would help keep the temp down and it woud possibly see a minimal increase in HP......1HP or so. Bottom line is that the cooler an internal combustion engine runs, the more power it makes. Will you feel this power increase, NO.

As far as headers, again, I agree.......if you are talking about plain steel headers, the underhood temp might go up because of the unshielded steel. But if you ran unshielded stock manifolds the temperature would be higher.

All in all, it's a personal modification.....not for everyone. Am I going to cut a hole in my hood? Nope........maybe when I supercharge it, but maybe not
Old 01-07-2007, 05:53 PM

I would actually agree with you on that. When you are wheeling you aren't moving very fast. Any cooling advantage that you might see directed air over the engine is eliminated when you are crawling along a mountain trail.

On daily driving, the hood scoop would help keep the temp down and it woud possibly see a minimal increase in HP......1HP or so. Bottom line is that the cooler an internal combustion engine runs, the more power it makes. Will you feel this power increase, NO.

As far as headers, again, I agree.......if you are talking about plain steel headers, the underhood temp might go up because of the unshielded steel. But if you ran unshielded stock manifolds the temperature would be higher.

All in all, it's a personal modification.....not for everyone. Am I going to cut a hole in my hood? Nope........maybe when I supercharge it, but maybe not
Old 01-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Hi Dan..i see there is a coolant bypass mod on the throttle body...reducing intake temps..Your thaughts????
Old 01-07-2007, 06:20 PM

That's mod is among debate with people that know alot about engines. The manufacturer's view on having this system in place is to regulate intake temperatures and aid in warming the intake temperature on start-up.

Most of the performance people say screw all of that. I want to make my intake temperature as low as possible.

I personally agree with the performance side of things. Internal combustion engines make more HP the lower the intake temperature is. Again, we get back to the phycal aspect of things......air is more dense the cooler the temperature. The denser the air, the more oxygen molecules it carries. Oxygen is needed to burn the fuel. The more oxygen, the more burn you get. The more burn, the more HP you make.

Now, we get back to how much HP is this mod going to actually make? Absolutley nothing! Now will it save you from losing HP as the engine gets hot? Yeah, maybe. If you figure ambiant temperature at say 90degrees and your coolant temperature at 180degrees plus, you will be keeping the intake air more dense.

This mod is like most simple mods. Are you going to see or feel a power gain, NO. Is it going to give you peace of mind knowing that you are doing the best that you can to keep your engine running as cool as you can? YES.