Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4runner Headlight Upgrade

Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner Headlight Upgrade

Forgive me as I have spent hours looking at other conversions but I didn't see similar conversions as I am trying to do.

From the looks of all the conversions, the shape of the headlamp enclosure is not the same as the 95 4runner I have. So is it better to change it out?

I am looking for better night vision lighting as the stock headlamps dont have any fogging that affects it much and even after making a much better wiring harness than factory and upgrading to super white 9004 bulbs, the difference is better but not good enough.

I have on order the Hella 550 fog lights so that should help out with visibility but I also want to do something about the headlights if possible.

I checked roundeyes.com an a d the rectangular housing looks like it will leave a big gap all around if I were to replace it with the model they have on the website.

Checked ebay and it seems they have the clear headlamps for 88-91 4runners but not the 92-95 4runners.

Any advice?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:58 PM

I guess I should have looked around more and given more details.

It seems most people have the Sealed Headlights and I have the Euro Style 9004 replaceable.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:02 PM

You could try these.

Name:  Picture005-1.jpg
Views: 3126
Size:  86.0 KB

Old 07-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
He has the composite 4runner headlights. Not the 200mm lenses the pickups have.

Best bet would be to throw a set of HID's in there and then throw a set of yellow fogs for rainy weather performance..
Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just do a set of HID's and don't ever look back it was the best investment for lighting that I ever did on the 4runner
Old 07-21-2009, 05:09 PM

HIDs would be nice, anyone have a prefered source?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 PM

I considered a HID conversion but would it really make that much of a difference considering the existing housing isnt really designed to disperse the light pattern that efficiently and the headlight cover has a pattern instead of being clear which would provide the best light emission from a HID.

Is it worth it to use the existing housing?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 PM

Well after some quick searching, I decided not to bother with a HID conversion since its illegal and no amount of mods I do will make it legal and obviously, a HID conversion also invalidates any insurance.

I guess I will install fog lights as someone else has suggested as they are legal to have on even when the environment doesn't require them to be on.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 AM

i cant seem to find any articles on swapping headlights to replace the aero headlights. for example, swap '95 runner aero lamps for the '90 runner version

is this a difficult swap?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Viet0ne
Forgive me as I have spent hours looking at other conversions but I didn't see similar conversions as I am trying to do.

From the looks of all the conversions, the shape of the headlamp enclosure is not the same as the 95 4runner I have. So is it better to change it out?

I am looking for better night vision lighting as the stock headlamps dont have any fogging that affects it much and even after making a much better wiring harness than factory and upgrading to super white 9004 bulbs, the difference is better but not good enough.

I have on order the Hella 550 fog lights so that should help out with visibility but I also want to do something about the headlights if possible.

I checked roundeyes.com an a d the rectangular housing looks like it will leave a big gap all around if I were to replace it with the model they have on the website.

Checked ebay and it seems they have the clear headlamps for 88-91 4runners but not the 92-95 4runners.

Any advice?
You might want to doa quick check of the voltage at the back side of the headlights (when they are on), and see if there is a significant (more than 0.5 volt) voltage drop:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ml#VoltageTest

If so, correcting that problem can yield huge increases in light output. Likely that is why you saw little increase with the brighter bulbs. Why? It is like dropping a big V8 engine in your 4Runner but keeping the stock fuel pump. Sure the big engine may be capable of 400+ HP, but feed it a trickle of the fuel it needs to do that and it'll not put out much more that the existing engine.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
You might want to doa quick check of the voltage at the back side of the headlights (when they are on), and see if there is a significant (more than 0.5 volt) voltage drop:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ml#VoltageTest

If so, correcting that problem can yield huge increases in light output. Likely that is why you saw little increase with the brighter bulbs. Why? It is like dropping a big V8 engine in your 4Runner but keeping the stock fuel pump. Sure the big engine may be capable of 400+ HP, but feed it a trickle of the fuel it needs to do that and it'll not put out much more that the existing engine.
I had replaced the wires with thicker gauge wires and it took a bit of time because I replaced the existing wires. I was thinking of running a relay switch to the existing wires and running the lights directly off the battery but didn't feel the need when the voltage is 13.2v reading when everything in my car is running which is more than above the necessary 12v for proper operation of the lights so I decided not to.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Viet0ne
I had replaced the wires with thicker gauge wires and it took a bit of time because I replaced the existing wires. I was thinking of running a relay switch to the existing wires and running the lights directly off the battery but didn't feel the need when the voltage is 13.2v reading when everything in my car is running which is more than above the necessary 12v for proper operation of the lights so I decided not to.
Was this voltage measured at the back of the headlights when they were on?

Headlights are designed to operate at more than 12 volts, since they are usually in use when the engine (and alternator) are running and 13.2 - 13.6 volts is typical:

Adding the relay(s) can make a big difference in light output, mine essentially doubled with the addition of relays.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 AM

Yeah, I checked the cables themselves when I replaced the bulbs the first time. Its been a couple years but I wouldn't think the voltage would be noticeably worse after this time as I made sure to soldier and heat shrink all connections.

I dont really want to check again since its a PITA to just get to the bulb area.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by n2o302
Just do a set of HID's and don't ever look back it was the best investment for lighting that I ever did on the 4runner
HIDS are crap in a halogen housing. They are illegal, they blind other drivers, and they scatter light everywhere. If your going to do it, do it right and get projectors. www.theretrofitsource.com So many people around where i live think its cool to get these HID kits and blind the hell out of every other driver on the road...
Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by PlugItIn
HIDS are crap in a halogen housing. They are illegal, they blind other drivers, and they scatter light everywhere. If your going to do it, do it right and get projectors. www.theretrofitsource.com So many people around where i live think its cool to get these HID kits and blind the hell out of every other driver on the road...
Even then, its still illegal and you can get a fine for having them if you get pulled for any other reason.

All states now have a law specifying that HIDs that are not available on a car from the factory are illegal and the only way to install HIDs legally on a car is if the car comes optional with HIDs. Using a headlight housing that is not DOT approved for your vehicle is illegal so using a projector is still illegal.

Also, I have confirmed with pretty much all insurance companies that installing them in your car invalidates your insurance. So, you can be held liable for a collision thats not your fault if you have a HID conversion.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM

didn't know that...good to know though, thanks..
Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Bull law, but good to know.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you have the money theres these ones that are made in the uk
http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=741