Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4runner easy IFS question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner easy IFS question

Hey Guys,
I'm putting new shocks on my 95 next week, I know they're completely shot...oil running down the sides of 3 of them. My question is about the front though. I only have about 1/2" or less space between the bottom A-arm and the bump stops. Is this normal? My 4runner sits pretty level, the back end doesn't sag, maybe the front is just sagging down also? Could the torsion bars have sagged down over the years? I suppose I don't mind the way it sits it's just that if you hit a speed bump to fast it bottoms out on the stops.
Thanks in advance,
W
Old 03-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Any way of getting a picture on here? If your lower control arm bumpstop is only 1/2 an inch or less from the framestop, seems the front end is sagging.

You could try adding some preload on the torsion bars. There are some really good threads about how to safely do this. In summary: Support the front end of the truck on jackstands. Make sure the back wheels are chalked, and the truck can NOT roll. Make sure the front tires are OFF the ground completely.

The rest is quite simple once you get under there and start looking. Break the locknut loose. Optional: Take a measurement on both sides from the top of the adjusting bolt to the top of the adjusting nut. This measurement should be close to the same, and should end up close to the same when you're done. Start cranking the adjuster tighter on both sides. If you don't want to take a measurement, you should count the number of turns you make. (I think the measuring is easier.)

For a rough guess, I would start by tightening them up 10 mm (on the adjusting bolt), then checking them by setting the front tires back on the ground. Bounce the front bumper a few times to help things settle. Continue this until the ride height is close to where you want it. Get it as close to level as you can by adjusting the preload on whatever side you need. Once it is as close as you can get it, go drive a few miles and come back, recheck everything. Adjust if necessary.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I also have only about 1/2 of inch of space there also. I am running a stock front end, so I think it's normal.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 PM

How much space do you the two of you have between the upper control arm and the other bumpstops? If there is a lot of space between them, and not much between the lower bumpstop, it is sagging.

If there is also not much space there, I guess it might be normal. My truck has a good 2 inches or so between the LCA bumpstop and the framestop, and probably an inch or so between the UCA and the upper bumpstop.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:33 PM

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Wyatt/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Wyatt/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Wyatt/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]95 4runner easy IFS question-img00392.jpg

Here is a not so great cell pic of the lower A-arm/bump stop. I hope this explains things better.
W