Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4Runner 3VZ A/T 4x4 MAJOR Power/MPG Issues

Old 01-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4Runner 3VZ A/T 4x4 MAJOR Power/MPG Issues *UPDATE*

Ok, just recently bought a lemony as ˟˟˟˟ 95 4runner 3.0 A/T 4x4 for the purpose of a 1UZ V8 swap. I had however planned on it lasting long enough to get me from San Diego to my new duty station in New Mexico (I'm in the Air Force)... I'm not sure if it can do that anymore, and I really need some major help.

Here are the symptoms:

Engine produces little to no power in the 0-3000 RPM range or so. On acceleration it will intermittently make it to about 3000 RPM and feel like it's going nowhere, feels like its spinning real real fast and the truck is just coasting. Then it will shift and start to gain more power. Sometimes this happens, but around 40mph and just will not go above 45mph, gas pedal all the way down.

Other times, it will shift just fine (as it is doing now), it just gets no power. I mean, it feels like I got a little 1.0L 4 banger trying to push a loaded F350 if you get the idea.

If all is working properly and I'm just seeing little power, I can get up to 50mph or so and then I've got some more power to play with and can hit and cruise at 85/90mph easy.

Other symptom is glowing red hot cat converter and headers... this is where I am most concerned.

Other issue is I can now smell fuel in the passenger compartment and have been told my exhaust is very very raw fuel smelling.

I also get horrible gas mileage. Haven't measured, but I'm talking using half a tank going the same distance 1/8 a tank for my 93 Camry.

So, I have had the injectors and throttle body cleaned, and the engine diagnosed only to get nowhere. $150 diagnosis fee and I got, well, timing is all fine (cam timing, base timing), distributor is fine, cat isn't clogged, exhaust back pressure is flowing fairly well, and the engine and computer ground points are good. Mechanic suggested computer issue and told me to see a dealer for further diagnosis. So I got ˟˟˟˟ pretty much.

Any ideas? Transmission has been checked by 3 mechanics and is fine, this si strictly an engine issue. No check engine light is on, and the engine temp is staying right in the middle.

No real issues on startup other then it will occasionally idle just a tad bit rough on a cold start. Never died on me.

Ideas?

*UPDATE*

Ok, looked into the EGR system after reading a few threads on google and on here. I went to disconnect the EGR valve from the EGR modulator and when I did, it just fell into the engine bay like it wasn't connected on the other side... I don't think it was.

After putting it back on and making sure both ends were connected, it seems to run much better, but I'm still seeing, what I fell is a power loss. Having never had a 3VZ before, what does a well running stock 3VZ 4runner look like on power? Any RPM/MPH markers I can 'check' and compare to see if I really am loosing power, or its just that classic underpowered 3VZ?

I'll drive it more tomorrow (I just took it off in the dark and drove it a mile or so and back) and report more findings.

Last edited by panda_kinq; 01-22-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: EGR update
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Would shipping be an option? Maybe uship will be cheaper than gas bill would be.

I say that because u said you were planning a swap and only needed to transport it to n.m.

I have no idea abt where to start at on fixing it though! Have u checked the fuel pressure? Maybe an injector is clogged and causing a lean condition making It hot and in turn making the cat glow red. But u smelled a strong gas. I have no clue though. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigSwole
Would shipping be an option? Maybe uship will be cheaper than gas bill would be.

I say that because u said you were planning a swap and only needed to transport it to n.m.

I have no idea abt where to start at on fixing it though! Have u checked the fuel pressure? Maybe an injector is clogged and causing a lean condition making It hot and in turn making the cat glow red. But u smelled a strong gas. I have no clue though. Good luck!
Had I known about this issue before I made the commitment to do a 'do it yourself move' I would have had it shipped, now I'm just stuck with it. More than likely going to have to have my uncle haul it out on a trailer.

Hoping it is just a sensor issue feeding the ECU the wrong info, altering the fuel mix. We'll see. I'd pop off the cat to start, but the bastard was welded on since the last one was stolen :/
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Can u cut the cat off and have a straight piece of pipe welded in? Or just clamp you one in for a cheap alternative
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BigSwole
Can u cut the cat off and have a straight piece of pipe welded in? Or just clamp you one in for a cheap alternative
That's what I'm going to have to do, I just can't find a legit shop that will do that here. Big no no in CA... I've gotta find a friend ha ha
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would you want to cut the cat off in the first place? If the cat is glowing red hot, you seem to be running way to RICH, to be honest, sounds like Air Flow Meter would be the place Id start to trouble shoot.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 PM

My only issue is time and money. I need to squeeze 1400 miles out of this puppy and then the engine can completely blow up for all I care.

Theoretically, how long could an engine running this rich last?

Seems like cruzing at 65-70 down the freeway constantly relives a lot of load and heat on the exhaust system vs. constantly accelerating 0-45mph in town...
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 PM

it's running rich. In order of impotance TPS, ECT the 02's. I would check there. oh and x2 on the MAFS.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Well at least someone with some knowledge chimed in. If ur still wanting to cut the cat off PM me and ill explain a cheap way off of your thread to prevent hijacking.

The afm does now that I think of it may be a problem. It could be stuck open or opening too much allowing to much fuel.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:18 PM

Thread updated.