Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4 runner V6 3.0 Manual- just bought need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4 runner V6 3.0 Manual- just bought need help!

Just bought this truck, LOVE IT.. never had a 4x4 drive truck before super stokked!! Just a few questions on it... Bought it in LA drove it back home to Northern California, 600+ miles in one trip, ran SOLID no problems... Supposibly the guy I got it from rebuilt head and put brand new transmission 10K miles ago. Anyways I took it off roading for the first time and everything went smooth, few questions IDK if it has auto lockers?? my buddy said it does and I need to know how to activate/deactivate them, he said it is bad if I have it on when im not in 4x4.. there is a button left of the steering wheel that when I press it it lights up, but it will not turn off?? it does not have a picture on it so IDK what it does... there is some costume wiring done to it, front brush guard bumper thing with lights on it activated via toggle switch on center council. But there is this random toggle switch under my dash in between the hood latch and the gas door unlatch-er.

The second time I went off roading, went through this big puddle and when I got done attempted to go up a nice sized hill, the truck stalled, and wouldn't start, guessing its the starter going out, but as Im driving back, after I push started it, the truck started this knocking noise, only when I was driving 10mph-40mph it sounds fine when the engine is just idling, but when I drive it makes noise... what could this be?

Finally the high beams don't work, the previous owner put LED in the running lights, and when I put the high beams on the head lights go out and only the LED running lights are on the bulbs are fine for the high beams.....

I can post pictures in a little bit on the button next to steering wheel... and toggle switch under dash.... what do you guys thinnk??

thanks MAsoN
Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 AM

To find driving noise try putting rear axle up on jack stands . Run motor with trans in gear , apply brakes a little so there's some drag on the drivetrain.
Have someone else on side of 4runner (so they wont get run over if truck falls off jack stands) listening for noises . Also try checking u joints .
Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Button to left of wheel is clutch interlock switch (it allows you to start without pushing in the clutch). I'll watch this thread to see if you figure out the headlights. Mine has done the same thing since I bought it 5 years ago. I replaced the multifunction switch on the console and it did not fix it.

Your truck did not come with factory lockers.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Correction, switch is on column, not console. . .
Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it has an ADD (Automatically Disconnecting Differential) system instead of manual lockers, unless someone put them on. Look at your front and rear wheels, you should see the "ADD" on some of them in the center.

Yeah, that button is the clutch cancel switch. You probably will never use it unless you're lazy

Can't help with the wiring though, if he's done his own "custom" wiring who knows what went wrong. You could start by checking fuses though, just in case. Most likely he tapped the wiring for the high beams and shorted it so they don't work anymore.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 02-27-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM

Yeah, that button is the clutch cancel switch. You probably will never use it unless you're lazy
I use mine all the time. I sleep in the back a lot during hunting season. It's nice to be able to start the truck for heat without climbing out of my sleeping bag and into the front seat. I find it easier to convince myself to get up and chase elk on cold predawn mornings if the truck is warmed up when I get out of my bag.