86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'95 3.0 4WD = elocker or air locker. Pros/cons opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 3.0 4WD = elocker or air locker. Pros/cons opinions

Looking to add a locker, looking for opinions on types and brands.

Running 33x12.5 tires with a 4 inch lift on a '95 3.0.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Hundreds of threads on ARB, Aussie, e lockers etc etc.

So I'm kindly saying search a bit
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM

yup hundreds of dead threads, with dead links, red X'd pictures, and information about companies that make them for the Runners that have been out of business for 5-10 years.

No offense, but telling me to search a forum that has been around for 15 years is like telling me to find a diamond chip in a bucket of sand.

I would not have posted if I had not already wasted a great deal of time searching and going thru threads about it..

My Runner is new to me, but it is 18 years old and most of the information about products for it is outdated.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105/spartan-locker-review-229162/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...review-143163/

Searching CAN help..

If you have the money for proper set up, compressor, lines, installation, etc, go ARB. They have a rock hard reputation and you can't go wrong with them, assuming money isn't an issue, as they're pricey.

A welded diff or lunchbox type locker will work fine, much much better than open diff, of course, but most guys I've talked to complain about their limited ability. Go this route if money is terribly tight.

Other brands such as Aussie, Grizzly, Spartan, etc, all offer great lockers at a much cheaper price than the ARB and can match it everywhere but on the street..due to the non-selectable nature. That should be obvious enough. The second write up is fantastic and covers every detail concerning the Aussie.

The e-locker, as mentioned, is another great option. Major drawbacks include actually "finding" one and all of its pieces and the installation. If you can wire well enough, installation shouldn't be too challenging..but the e-locker is a little harder to install.

In my opinion, if you have the money, go ARB. If you don't (I mean DON'T), then settle for the lock right or similar and deal with its setbacks. If you want selectability, but can deal with installation, go e-locker (assuming ARB is out of budget). Lastly, if you're okay without selectability and money is somewhat an issue, go with the Aussie.

Good luck.

Last edited by Roark; 02-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right, so you want opinions and preferences? Do you also want stuff like how to install?

I can only give you my opinion based on my experience, which means e locker and welded. While not a perfect comparison, since my e locker is in my Runner with coil rear suspension and ifs and my welded diff was in my 83 shortbed, leaf all around, I can tell you that a selectable is the way to go. As far as pros and cons between e locker and ARB, biggest con of the e locker is that you can't use the housing for a regular 8" diff anymore, so you'd need another e locker if you carry a trail spare. From what I've heard the ARB carrier is stronger than the Toy 8" carrier, and it seems like most of the people who have problems with them it's either something they did wrong, or it's a pretty easy fix like repairing the air lines.

Hope that helps you some, but if you got more specific as to what you want to know or see, people could help better. People's opinions tend to be fairly broad.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Duke
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229162
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...review-143163/
Searching CAN help..
If you have the money for proper set up, compressor, lines, installation, etc, go ARB. They have a rock hard reputation and you can't go wrong with them, assuming money isn't an issue, as they're pricey.
A welded diff or lunchbox type locker will work fine, much much better than open diff, of course, but most guys I've talked to complain about their limited ability. Go this route if money is terribly tight.
Other brands such as Aussie, Grizzly, Spartan, etc, all offer great lockers at a much cheaper price than the ARB and can match it everywhere but on the street..due to the non-selectable nature. That should be obvious enough. The second write up is fantastic and covers every detail concerning the Aussie.
The e-locker, as mentioned, is another great option. Major drawbacks include actually "finding" one and all of its pieces and the installation. If you can wire well enough, installation shouldn't be too challenging..but the e-locker is a little harder to install.
In my opinion, if you have the money, go ARB. If you don't (I mean DON'T), then settle for the lock right or similar and deal with its setbacks. If you want selectability, but can deal with installation, go e-locker (assuming ARB is out of budget). Lastly, if you're okay without selectability and money is somewhat an issue, go with the Aussie.
Good luck.
This was very helpful, thank you..

I had already come across several threads on the Aussie, and all the links were broken, though I prefer a selectable locker which is why I mentioned elocker or air locker.

My Avalanche had a OEM Factory Eaton G-80 locker, and for basic snow and sand it was fine, but in a real situation it wasn't much good. One of the reasons I sold the Avalanche is that while in it's heart it was a great camping machine, Chevy turned the GMT-900 (1997-2011) into a pavement princess with no real off-road ability without some serious (and I mean serious, $15K plus) cash in aftermarket modifications.

I have searched a bit more, and though the ARB is the nicest, the Yukon Zip Locker looks to be very compeditive to it, and about half the price, I would love so see some more reviews on it though.

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Right, so you want opinions and preferences? Do you also want stuff like how to install?
I can only give you my opinion based on my experience, which means e locker and welded. While not a perfect comparison, since my e locker is in my Runner with coil rear suspension and ifs and my welded diff was in my 83 shortbed, leaf all around, I can tell you that a selectable is the way to go. As far as pros and cons between e locker and ARB, biggest con of the e locker is that you can't use the housing for a regular 8" diff anymore, so you'd need another e locker if you carry a trail spare. From what I've heard the ARB carrier is stronger than the Toy 8" carrier, and it seems like most of the people who have problems with them it's either something they did wrong, or it's a pretty easy fix like repairing the air lines.
Hope that helps you some, but if you got more specific as to what you want to know or see, people could help better. People's opinions tend to be fairly broad.
thank you, install is not a big concern, when I first started looking I thought there might be aftermarket e-lockers for the Runners, apparently not the case.

I am looking for a plug and play replacement to the open rear and not major fabrication to "make something work", I've had elockers before and they are relatively simplistic to operate and maintain, I don’t' know much about air lockers, hence my thread.

so it seems the elocker may be out of the question.

So it seems I need to decide between the ARB and the Yukon.
compressor and air tank are a given, those will be installed regardless, nothing worse than airing down and not being able to air back up on the highway..

Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 02-26-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 PM

the mod on the housing is not too difficult, there are a few write-ups and many have done it/ had it done
for toyota elocker infos
and

and for controlling
i ended up getting a panel with f/r locker control and light swithes as well.

Last edited by Redeyejedi; 02-26-2013 at 09:03 PM.