Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 yota deluxe 3.0 5 spd Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 yota deluxe 3.0 5 spd Starter problem

Hi. I had a starter acting up, clicking for a long time finally replaced it with a aftermarket. It started right up first try and after shut off, it only clicks under the dash passenger side. Good power to the solenoid connector. No click at the starter. Please advise! Thank you!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Just curious, could you have an overflow of power going to the starter? You said it started up once, and now doesn't start up. Could something have fried in the starter on the first crank and overloaded it, which then fried the starter motor? That is what it sounds like to me. Since you have power to the solenoid connector, my guess would be something inside of the solenoid that is broken. I don't recall how the whole system works exactly, but maybe a voltage regulator or something of that sort is broken, which is causing more power to run to the starter than is needed.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
There are two connectors (plus ground through the engine) to the starter. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...g/1starter.pdf The light-duty wire from the starter relay, and the heavy-duty cable direct from the battery. Do you have 12v to both? Then the solenoid ('magnetic switch') is not pulling in, as the load of the starter would pull down the voltage on the battery cable. Or, do you have a low voltage (e.g, 9v) on the battery cable? You might have a big voltage drop in the battery cable, and not enough power reaches the starter to turn it. Do you have 12+ volts at the battery, WITH the starter relay closed? If not, your battery may be too weak.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Hi. Thank you for trying to help me out! This looks like a great forum. Here is what i found out today. I pulled the aftermarket starter to see if could find something wrong with it. I looked into the solenoid area under the cover, and i think i found why no start after the one time start. The wire inside that has a large metal connector on the solenoid side was no longer connected. It looks like the solder melted and therefore no connection. I tried to install my original starter with new contacts late today. I am embarassed to say i could not get it in? I spent 2 hours trying to get it in place! Am doing it outside! Please advise! Thank you!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Hi. I did remove the bracket that is bolted from the engine to the trans. It seems the slave cylinder and the line coming from it are really giving me trouble. I guess i can unbolt it and try to make more room. Any tips would be appreciated, this was my first time pulling my starter. The original one lasted 18 years, the aftermarket one lasted one start. I don't think i did anything to fry it unless when i jumpered the starter relay? I jumped pins 3-5. Well it is raining hard here right now, so i don't know when i will be able to go back out there and try again! Cold front coming in not supposed to last long. I got to get my Yota back on the road for the Winter! I hate getting old, my abilities seem to be slipping, but i still keep trying. I don't want to pay shop labor, i am way too cheap!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM

Well no one anwering my questions, i guess they are stew! One last question is if i unbolt the slave cylinder and leave the lines attached to make more room, is it hard to bolt it back in? What i am asking is there pressure on the slave cylinder that will make it difficult to bolt back on? I would rather figure out how to get it in around the slave cylinder line, than cause more problems. Thank you! I promise not to ask any more advice if someone answers this last question.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM

It isn't hard to put back on. The bolts can be a bit of a pill to line up with the line still attached. Getting the starter out of the 3.0 can be a real B&*%$. I used a bunch of extensions to get at mine. It's no fun that's for sure. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those older trucks have issues with the start circuits causing intermittent starting issues. If, after you get the starter back in and you still have issues from time to time, you might want to install and additional starter relay. I used a ford relay on my truck and haven't had any problems since. I think there are lots of write ups here on how to do it if you do some searches
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Thanks Guys! I worked on it today when i got home from work, so i just got done rolling around on my gravel. I unbolted the slave cylinder and moved it aside. This seemed to really help give me more room to get it in place. Well she is starting real nice with my original back in with new Contacts installed! I cleaned it up inside and lubed up the bearings, brushes look real good. It's a great feeling to have her running again. Now i got to replace the valve cover gaskets. They have been leaking for about 3 years, i hate to admit that. There was oil inside the Starter, but the failure was one of the contacts was badly worn, the other was almost like new still. It was the Solenoid side that was very worn, are they known to do this? Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Pretty normal to wear one contact more than the other. At least on every starter I've rebuilt.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 AM

I know the feeling about getting old brother.Dont feel bad.The 3.0 starter is one of the toughest Ive had to replace,and Ive replaced dozens on various vehicles.Yes its common on these starters for one of the contacts to fry.I also refuse to pay someone to work on my truck,or any vehicle for that matter.Why pay someone exhorbitant prices for something I can do myself.Actually Im sure everyone here subscrbes to that theory thats what yotatech is all about.We certainly arent asking for advice to give to a mechanic.Dont feel bad about asking we're a family of yota owners lookin out for each other.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Roofmaster
The 3.0 starter is one of the toughest Ive had to replace,and Ive replaced dozens on various vehicles.
There is a little trick to these. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield, and it will fit through the wheel well above the control arm fairly easily.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM

Hi. Thank you for the great reply! Your Yota looks very good! I am going to really get into fixing mine up a lot next Spring. Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks for that trick tip! I will try that for sure next time, which i hope is not for a long time!