86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 pickup speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 pickup speedometer not working

Speedometer stopped working on my 94 pickup. I replaced speed sensor and didn't fix it. I pulled the cluster and tested wiring. Wires are intact to cluster. I guess the instrument has gone bad. Looking at getting a new cluster, but not sure what years use the cable or the sensor. Also would like to get the gauge with the tach, do i have to do anything to get that to work? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:15 PM

if it works after you change you clster then your good, if it has a speedo cable going to it and still doesn't work then its most likely the cable thats bad.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:22 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by whiskey79
...I replaced speed sensor and didn't fix it. ...
Originally Posted by gtct10b
... if it has a speedo cable going to it ...
While the cable-operated speedo DOES have a speed sensor inside the combination meter, it's very unlikely that's the one whiskey79 is referring to.

I have not found a clear listing of which vehicles use the electronic speedometer; I think it has something to do with 4wd and transmission so it's not a specific model year. The tachs have a different setting for 4 and 6 cylinder (of course), and there are several postings here showing how to calibrate that.

Possibly the most important thing to know is the the oil-pressure sender is different for a gauge (vs. idiot light), and the idiot-light sender (switch) will BREAK the gauge. So switch the sender first.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:52 AM

I didn't know that but those could be some causes also, I posted what I thought could be wrong but anything else is out there somewhere. Finding the problem is the biigest problem, lol.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I experienced this same exact problem with the electronic speedometer on my 1994 4x4 Toyota PU.....speedometer intermittentenly worked and just got worse and worse until it barely ever worked at all. I searched every forum and thread that I could but couldn't find an actual solution that had worked. Most said to change the speed sensor unit on the trans but seemed those that did that just wasted their money as it didn't work except in a case or two. So, I decided to take things into my own hands. I removed my instrument cluster, then I split the plastic cover in half at the seam and removed the mother board with the guages and speedo attached. I then removed the speedometer itself from the mother board (4 philips screws on the backside of the mother board) and pulled the speedo out which has its own board on the back of it. I then took an old toothbrush and sprayed the bristles with WD40 and proceeded to scrub the back of the speedo board with the WD'd bristles. I removed any crud that was there and sort of just scrubbed and polished all of the solder connections on the back of the board. Then I wiped it down as best as I could with a cloth. I put speedo back on the mother board and then the cluster back in the plastic case and reinstalled it all into the dash and buttoned everything back up figuring it was either going to work or not. Upon completionl, I started the truck up and drove off down the road and WAH-LAH!...the speedo worked perfectly and, it has continued to do so since. In that I already had the toothbrush and the WD40, my cost for this fix was zero $!!! I know this will sound hokey to some of you but this is not a joke and if you are having the intermittent speedo issue, I implore you to try this process on your cluster and see if it works for you.,,,I mean....what have you got to lose. Hope this works as well for you as it did for me.