Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 pickup passenger headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 pickup passenger headlamp

Ok, so i did a search, but couldn't really find what my problem is..

I've got a 94 pickup and my passenger headlamp was out, BUT the highbeam would work.. so really just the low beam was out... it was also cause my passenger break light not to work.

So, i replaced the headlamps. both lights worked just fine. and i believe even the break light was working (i asked a friend and he said yeah, but it could've just been the taillamps were on so i'm not certain)

that was around 7-7:30. went out for a bit. when i went to head home (10:30) my passenger light was already out... but my high beam again still worked...

by the time made it home not even my high beam was working... so i went and checked it out again.. the bulb doesn't seem to be blown.. then again it's hard to tell with these older headlamps, as opposed to looking at just the bulb. i looked at the wiring best i could everything seems to be intact. the fuse was NOT blown.. but i replaced it anyway just incase.. still nothing...

i cleaned the "adapter"(<for lack of better word, but the female end that plugs into the lamp).. still nothing no low or high beam....

anyone know anything else i can do, or a simple way to test for a short in the wires or anything?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, what happened to my 4runner is the glass mount to the headlight broke so its like pointing down. i know on your 4runner (by looking at your picture) you have headlights that are tucked in. there are 2 types i think. ones that are inward like yours, and the others that are flush with the rest of the grill which are the ones i have. i would like to learn how to swap mine too, but in due time.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
well, what happened to my 4runner is the glass mount to the headlight broke so its like pointing down. i know on your 4runner (by looking at your picture) you have headlights that are tucked in. there are 2 types i think. ones that are inward like yours, and the others that are flush with the rest of the grill which are the ones i have. i would like to learn how to swap mine too, but in due time.

um, i'm not swapping mine for anything... just replacing them for regular oem styled bulbs that fit just as they should.

it's not a matter of where it's pointing, it's just not lighting up period.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
break out your multimeter and start by checking the wires. could be one of the wires is broken on the inside causing intermittant failure of the lights. you can also check to make sure the bulb is not blown with the multimeter. it should read some resistance, but still have a connection between the highbeam & gnd, as well as the low beam & gnd.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
break out your multimeter and start by checking the wires. could be one of the wires is broken on the inside causing intermittant failure of the lights. you can also check to make sure the bulb is not blown with the multimeter. it should read some resistance, but still have a connection between the highbeam & gnd, as well as the low beam & gnd.

i don't have one lol. i'll check with some auto part stores see if i can rent one.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM

anyone else ever have this problem?

i honestly just don't know what to look for! sucks!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 PM

go buy one... a digital one is less than $20 @ radioshack, sears, autoparts stores, etc. It will pay for itself in repairing stuff.

ps. you'll probably get laughed at if you ask to rent one
Old 08-09-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hell, even a test light would work fine. (use a spade connector attached to a wire to plug it into the harness, then clip the light tester to the wire...)

-shaeff
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 AM

thanks guys!

anyone know how to fix it if it's something in the wires.. i wouldn't even know where to begin.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 AM

you're gunna check each wire for resistance with the meter. poke through the insulation with the probe tips. if you fund an issue with one of the wires narrow it down to which spot in the wire by testing it section by section.

if theres a bad spot in one of the wires you can cut it out, and replace it with a new length of wire. for now just troubleshoot what the issue is, and later we can walk you through the repair.

oh, and i recommend the multimeter because it can be used for a lot of other things whereas a test light is only gunna tell you if you have voltage. if you're really broke i believe they sell a multimeter for $2.99 at harbor freight. not sure how reliable it is, but its probably cheaper than you'd find a test light at an autoparts/tool store
Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
you're gunna check each wire for resistance with the meter. poke through the insulation with the probe tips. if you fund an issue with one of the wires narrow it down to which spot in the wire by testing it section by section.

if theres a bad spot in one of the wires you can cut it out, and replace it with a new length of wire. for now just troubleshoot what the issue is, and later we can walk you through the repair.

oh, and i recommend the multimeter because it can be used for a lot of other things whereas a test light is only gunna tell you if you have voltage. if you're really broke i believe they sell a multimeter for $2.99 at harbor freight. not sure how reliable it is, but its probably cheaper than you'd find a test light at an autoparts/tool store
thanks man! i'll see what i can figure out about it!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
if you do poke through the insulation, cover those spots with brush on electric tape to prevent moisture from getting in and corroding the wires!

-shaeff