86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'94 pickup, 22re blew the timing chain, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 pickup, 22re blew the timing chain, have some questions

Greetings all, I am in the unpleasant position of recovering from a timing chain blowout on my '94 pickup (22re, 2WD, 5-speed manual) I estimate it's got around 225-250k miles on it (odo is inaccurate.)

It's at the shop right now, my mechanic repaired the timing chain and and then informed me that the #2 cylinder had low (no?) compression. Now I am trying to determine what to do next. I'm already in for $1400 for the timing chain, which I decided was a fair price based on reading here (and elsewhere) about the amount of work involved with that repair. I thought it was a little odd that he didn't tell me about collateral damage considering that I was driving the truck when the chain blew out, then he tells me about the cylinder *after* the timing chain is done. Fixing the cylinder will be another $1200, which he says is half price.

So, obviously I need to make a few decisions. I am no mechanic unfortunately though I would be willing to get my hands dirty and learn to do some work if it saves money, BUT only if I have a shot of doing that work safely/well while learning as I go.

Let me add that this there's a couple of extenuating circumstances: I have absolutely no extra money to work with, so buying another vehicle is probably not an option even if it makes sense. (Tell me, I'd have to consider it but it's not like I have a new-car fund to work with or anything. I have enough cash to fix the cylinder, and that is it.) Two, the truck does have a great deal of sentimental value for what that's worth. It had belonged to my dad, who was the original owner and then handed it down to me when he wanted a Tacoma. He died this summer and could have torn that engine down to the last bolt and reassembled it no problem. Now I really regret not asking him to teach me while I had the chance.

In any case, here's a couple of specific concerns I'd like your collective thoughts on:

1) Should he have known about the cylinder before he fixed the the timing chain? I trust this guy, he's been my mechanic for years, but it felt fishy that $1400 turned into another $1200 overnight. He said there was no way to tell about the cylinder until the chain was fixed and he could power it up. True?

2) How does this price sound for restoring a cylinder with bad compression? I'm in So Cal if that makes a difference. I'm looking for a ballpark cost to have a non-dealer professional do the work, vs DIY.

3) Is it a DIY project, given that I'm not experienced, and how long would it take?

4) What exactly do I call this kind of repair? Trying to research/ educate myself so I can make a good decision.

5) If I have the mechanic fix the cylinder, am I going to get any other surprises after this?

No one wants to be in this position, I just don't want to pay another $1200 then find out something else it wrong. I need a truck that runs so I can get to work every day!

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Last edited by Cyntada; 10-17-2014 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 AM

First things first, I'm sorry about the truck man, especially given its sentimental value. I know how much that can mean. My grandfather left a truck to me that I don't drive at all because I want it to stay in the shape he left it to me in, so I understand.

In regards to the compression question: the best way to get a compression reading is to have the truck running and able to drive; you just pull the plugs, put in the compression tester and check as the motor cranks. However, this is possible to do without the timing being correct, as the starter turns the crank and the pistons move, so for him to say that he could not have known before the timing chain was installed is BS. The timing change is only meant to time the opening/closing of the valves in relation to the movement of the crank/pistons. That being said, and not to try and help him out, it's not something you can just look in and see if it is wrong, and you took him the truck only for the timing chain so he did just what you asked and nothing more. He probably didn't even realize until he tried to crank the truck and it didn't start.

In regards to the price, it really depends on the actual problem. It could be bad rings on the piston, bad piston or bad bearings. It could also be a crack in the cylinder wall in which it may need to be re-sleeved. In any case, to fix it the motor needs to be opened up, which is money. $1200 seems a little steep, but at this point you are essentially rebuilding the motor so it's not that bad. If you were to do this yourself, you're looking at a lot of time and a lot of money in tools, so I would say just stay away.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're looking at money. I wish I had better news to give you. Sorry.

I would say you may be able to find someone on here who is local to you who may be able to help you, as a lot do. Hopefully your post will get some more attention.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Well, I would spend the money in a heartbeat, provided it's a fair price for the work and I end up with a truck I can rely on for a while longer. Should I be getting estimates on simply rebuilding the engine?

Funny thing is, the mechanic said take it home and drive it a couple days, and let him know if I want to do the repairs. I asked him if it is safe to drive and he said, "Not really..." Huh?? Sounds odd to me, but maybe I should see it as an opportunity to get some other estimates.

Thanks PapaChulos4U for your input. Hopefully someone else will weigh in, all advice welcome at this point.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck and yes it sucks. I'm doing my timing chain replacement and $1400 IMM is cheap due to all the stuff that I took out to remove the oil pan which I found lots of fragments of the timing chain guide. $1200 is cheap to repair the cylinder since that's more stuff that needs to come off (like the entire engine, cylinder head, etc.) and rework it. If I had to do it myself, it'll take a couple more months since I don't have the time to work on it full time due to work and family activities. Good luck and hoping for the best for you. Once you get it fixed though its going to be a rockin' truck.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Sorry to hear this

Cyntada, to me these price quotes sound high. If I were you I think I would look around for an engine replacement. Where are you, btw? If we knew this we could possibly recommend someone reliable.
I think maybe your mechanic is taking advantage of you, in that you don't know the workings of the engine.
I just rebuilt my 22RE and I can tell you that it is not for the feint hearted or inexperienced. Although someone could do it and gain the experience. But it is a rather involved procedure. It requires taking the engine out. Disassembling the engine, taking the block to a machinist, and the head too if necessary. The machinist will tell you if it is rebuildable and what the cost will be for the parts. It usually involves turning the crankshaft, boring and honing the cylinders and buying new bearings and rings, as well as the other things like new timing chain and oil and water pumps. Quite possibly a new or reconditioned head will be necessary.
I did my engine myself and spent less than $500. But, for you it might not be an option. You need a space to work, now heated, a engine stand and a hoist and quite a few tools.
I would search around for another mechanic and get some assessments and quotes on either fixing your engine or replacing it. Sounds to me like you could have some bent valves or a cracked piston in that cylinder.
Also ask the mechanic you have what all the money is paying for? Is it just to fix one cylinder or the head, or is it for a total rebuild. I could do a total rebuild for the amount you will have given him at that point. He should have already known that there were probably other problems when the timing chain broke. Ask him, did he remove the oil pan and clean out the debris? Did he replace the oil and filter. Just what exactly did he do in total. It's also true that he couldn't check compression without having the timing set right. But..... If it were me I would have had the head off to check for damage while doing the chain.
Where you are located might help.

Last edited by ditypup; 10-17-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I'm in Southern California, Orange County to be specific. If you can recommend someone reliable I would deeply appreciate it. This mechanic has taken care of me in the past (and his prices are always about middle of the road when we've compared) but he is a generalist. I'd love to get someone on the job that really knows older Toyotas well. If I am getting another opinion, what exactly am I asking about? Is it a valve job or something else? (I may be inexperienced, but have no desire to frustrate a mechanic by making him try to guess what I mean.)

Will check in with the mechanic. The truck is still at his shop. I am picking it up tomorrow to think things over. Am I likely to be able to drive it at all? I still have the rental, but hope I won't have to flatbed it somewhere t get a second opinion.

I've definitely canceled the idea of doing it myself. Have a locked yard and a small warehouse at my disposal, could probably even do a weekend trip and pick up some of my Dad's tools, and the weather isn't a problem. The lack of experience absolutely is though, and I certainly can't afford a rental car for multiple weeks of slow progress.

Last edited by Cyntada; 10-17-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 AM

deleted sorry I thought 22RE Performance was in S Cal its in NorCal .

C'mon you guys surely some of you know where the lady can find a good mechanic in Orange County.

Last edited by ditypup; 10-17-2014 at 11:30 AM.