Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 4x4 toyota pickup clicking from drivers side wheel when manual hub is locked.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 4x4 toyota pickup clicking from drivers side wheel when manual hub is locked.

I have looked and looked trying to find an answer on the forums but nothing is quite like the problem I am having. I have a 94 toyota 4x4 pickup reg cab, 22re, 6" pro comp suspension lift, aisin manual hubs, 5 spd. The problem I am having is that when i have the manual hubs locked in 2wd and I turn there is a clicking coming from the front left.

I recently had a wheel bearing on the left front go out while running about 40 mph. I purchased 2 hubs from a salvage yard. I have replaced the bearings, races, seals, brake rotors, pads, and a right brake caliper. I also found that the left front manual hub was destroyed when the bearing went bad. I purchased a set of aisin hubs from ebay and went through the hubs, cleaned and re-greased both. The right side does fine, but the left is making the clicking noise.

When you drive forward and backwards in a straight line you do not hear the clicking in 2wd or 4wd. I do not hear the clicking in 4wd with the hubs locked in at all. The only time I hear the noise is in 2wd with the hubs locked while turning. I have looked at the c/v axles and there is no grease or cracks that I can see.

I bought the truck used and I am trying to fix this before it gets worse. The vehicle is not a daily driver so if I need to tear it down and leave it that way for a while that is not a problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 AM

Here is a picture from the day I bought the truck. Since then I have added a Superwinch 9500lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, ceramic window tint, and new speakers.
Attached Thumbnails 94 4x4 toyota pickup clicking from drivers side wheel when manual hub is locked.-image.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice truck just a question here but are you sure its in the axle considering it only does it when turning and in 2wd you should check steering componants too, however my sister has a celica that had a bad front cv and it clicked bad when turning even though it looked good form the outside still didnt change the fact that it was destroyed inside from lack of maitainance and general were
just my opinion though i would just go through a very good inspection of steering and front driveline parts before you buy anything
Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 AM

It only does it in 2wd with the manual hub in the lock position. It doesn't do it when the hub is unlocked and it doesn't do it when the hub is locked and in 4wd. That's why I believe it to be in the manual hub assembly or in the cv axle.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 AM

ohhhh i see now sorry was kinda confused anyway ok nevermind what i said about the steering parts i guess, weird that it only does it in and and not 4 i guess just go through a good inspection of the cv but thats about it, the only other thing i can think of is unlikly in my opinion that the spider gears in the diff are messed up but i think that its unlikly because i think that the 4wd would stop working if the spiders were destroyed i think i might be wrong though could be a pinion to before i sased my truck i sheared the teeth off the pinion and they made a clicking noise after it happened that would explain the clicking in because if 2wd hubs unlocked the diff wouldnt spin, 2wd hubs locked the diff would spin but the driveshaft wouldnt causing clicking, but in 4wd with the hubs locked the tcase would be spining the driveshaft at the same speed as the diff (as long as the front wheels are moving at the same speed as the rears) if that makes any sense however gears get expensive and getting them setup cost about as much as the gears so i would inspect the cv and if the ifs toys have a inpection cover pull it and check (start checking the cheap stuff first)
i sased my truck and it started out 2wd so i never had to deal with 4wd ifs sorry i couldnt be of more help

Last edited by Dreidel; 04-24-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Before the wheel bearing went out I never had any clicking with the hubs locked in 2wd. I opened the hub front cover and the turn dial back was broken off the dial and their was dust inside. I bought a set of used Asian hubs off of eBay and used the front cover assembly along with the big spring, pawl, small spring and clutch. They were a little rusted and poorly greased when I got them so I cleaned them with break cleaner and wiped off the loose rust, then I applied a thin coat of coastal bearing grease to the hub and all the pieces. Also, while installing the new wheel hub and bearings I tore down the manual hub and cleaned all the pieces in a parts cleaner, sprayed them down with brake clean and applied a thin coat of bearing grease to them before putting them back on. After putting the eBay parts onto the original manual hub is when I got the clicking sound. That is why I believe I either have a manual hub clutch not fully disengaging, or the cogged bearing that rides on the splines of the cv axle that is inside the hub may be causing the problem.

I have a total of 3 sets of aisin hubs and out of those six the original right side on my truck had all the pieces inside it and the two from eBay had all the pieces. The original left was in broken pieces and the two that came on the salvaged 2 hubs I bought were missing the small spring and pawl, the big spring and the clutch.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Just to be sure, does 4wd work for you? i.e. if you jack one wheel off the ground, lock both hubs, and put the tranny in gear and the transfer case in 4, can you rotate the jacked wheel?

I still think its the CV. Clicking in a turn is the classic sign of CV wear and having it not click when unlocked definitely points that way too. Was the hub locked when the bearing failed?

In case you have not considered this already, it could still be the CV even if it does not click in 4wd. In 4wd the force on the CV is driving the wheel. In 2wd the wheel is driving the CV. The forces are on opposite sides of the CV joint wear points.

Have you tried driving it with only the driver's side hub locked? Not sure what that would tell you, but I'm curious anyway.

Last edited by Sturmcrow; 04-24-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM

The hub was not locked when the bearing went out. I had the truck in 4wd yesterday and crawled over a couple of downed trees and up a hill.

I will jack the truck up and lock the hub and put the truck in gear and in 4wd and see what happens. I will try to post some pics of the hub inside also and the parts. I have some other hubs that I need to clean and disassemble also.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 PM

I tried to post some pictures up but they wouldn't load onto the page so I started an album. I have videos from when I jacked up the truck and what they did, but I get an invalid file when I try to upload.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM

Pictures of the original hub after the bearing went bad
Attached Thumbnails 94 4x4 toyota pickup clicking from drivers side wheel when manual hub is locked.-image.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 PM

Back of the hub dial face
Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 PM

Inner splined piece, not sure what it's called
Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM

this is the link with the videos from photobucket

Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM

Link to video with the hub locked in 4wd, truck in gear, truck in 4hi

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Ri...e18f9.mp4.html
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Video of truck in gear, 2wd, and hub locked

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Ri...9c20c.mp4.html
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM

truck in 2wd, hub unlocked, truck in gear.

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Ri...48f5f.mp4.html
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this to happen?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Adsquared
Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this to happen?
Adsquared I am having the same issue but it is constant and only in 2wd when driving straight or turning. Very annoying. Both sides were doing it so I disassembled the aisin hub assembly and put it back together according to my parts/repair manual. The driver side hub works perfectly however I still get a click in the pass. Side. For starters there were no gaskets and the PO had the manual hubs all kinds of wrong. So after installing gaskets and putting them both together the same way the drivers side is fine but im still clicking on the passenger side hub. Did you get yours to stop and if so what did you do? Im considering putchasing brand new locking hub assemblies and going from there but would prefer not to because everything should be working fine (like the drivers side) any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Did you ever check the front diff. Just curious, interested in what it is
Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Im gonna say CV, that's the tell tale sound of when they start to die. Do you have a diff drop installed? If not the extra strain on the CV's from that angle will cause premature wear and you will be swapping it more often than you should be.

Quick Reply: 94 4x4 toyota pickup clicking from drivers side wheel when manual hub is locked.