86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 4runner Power Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 4runner Power Steering Issues

I've been having some issues with my power steering. Awhile back my pressure hose was leaking so I replaced it. A few months later I noticed my 4runner was leaking real bad. I'd fill the reservoir every other day it was so bad. So I figured I'd replace the pump and go from there. Once I got the new pump put on I could still notice the whining coming from the pump and the reservoir would overflow this time. Even with the cap on. So I did some more research and heard that the reservoir screen can get clogged so I decided to clean it out and was able to remove most of the gunk. So I put the pump back together and still hear that whining sound. I've been trying to find anything and everything I can about the subject and heard bleeding it may or may not do anything, or changing the little O-ring underneath the reservoir. Any links would be greatly appreciated. Ill be the first one to tell you I ain't no mechanic but I do like to try and get my hands dirty when it comes to doing car stuff
Old 03-04-2015, 02:06 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Just one thing to note - what have you been putting into the PS system to replace the leaking fluid? The Toyota PS system requires automatic transmission fluid; if you use standard power steering fluid like you'd use on your Chevy the leaks will just continue to get worse. PS fluid apparently attacks the seals and causes them to leak.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM

I had been using ps fluid until I read about using ATF. Finally bled the whole thing a long with the steering box and it seemed to have done the trick. No more foaming after I shut it off and driving seemed okay. Still whines a little when I press the brakes though. Not sure what that could be.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:36 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I can't tell you the exact reason why it whines when you press the brakes, but they are related. The anti-lock brake controller uses pressure from the PS pump to activate and pulse the brakes. I don't know any more detail than that, however.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 AM

Well it looks like its leaking somewhere. For the life of me I could not find out where. All the hoses seem okay and it looks like it coming from under the reservoir. Looked at the o-ring but it looks fine. Think ill replace it and see what's up. I mean as soon as I'd pour enough in the reservoir it would empty within 30 minutes.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog1971
Well it looks like its leaking somewhere. For the life of me I could not find out where. All the hoses seem okay and it looks like it coming from under the reservoir. Looked at the o-ring but it looks fine. Think ill replace it and see what's up. I mean as soon as I'd pour enough in the reservoir it would empty within 30 minutes.
Not sure about specific years and models, but some PS systems have a sensor valve in the high pressure side that uses vacuum to raise the engine idle RPMs slightly when the steering is turned.
This sensor is known to fail and then aspirate PS fluid into the engine intake manifold.
This may be the cause of PS fluid loss that cannot be attributed to an external leak on models that use this setup.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
... This sensor is known to fail and then aspirate PS fluid into the engine intake manifold. ...
Good point, but when that happens the ATF should disappear into the intake manifold (causing, usually, rough running). SkyDog reports seeing fluid everywhere. (Here's a pic of the PS idle-up valve: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...11powerste.pdf , p.46

Originally Posted by SkyDog1971
If it's leaking that quickly, you should be able to stand there and watch it. First, get it cleaned up really well. You can use spray-on engine degreaser, but ATF isn't very "greasy" so you should be able to just use paper towels. Start it up, and then run around and stand there watching it. Don't be afraid to shut it right off and feel for fluid.

No point guessing about leaks.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:26 PM

Definitely will do. Just replaced return hose just in case. Didn't see any holes in it but knew it wa pretty old. Just put a new o ring on reservoir an put ps back in. I flushed it before this but may do it again just in case. Ill keep you all posted. And thanks again for all the help from everyone. Love this forum!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:35 PM

Ok looks like we are in business. Put ps back in, filled it up, started the engine and turned wheel very slowly. Started to make a bad whining noise so I added more. Felt like there was more air in the lines so I loosened the power steering box nut to let some of the air out. Tightened it down and turned wheels again. No more whining! Put some cardboard under to see if its still leaking and so far so good. About now I'd see a good size puddle building but it seems to be good. Ended up replacing o-ring on the bottom of the reservoir too so I don't know if maybe that was where the problem was or what but everything seems to be good to go just wanna say thanks again for all the help. Really appreciate it