Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 4Runner Power brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 4Runner Power brake problem

Hey All,
First time posting here, although I have used the site in the past for the infamous valve cover gasket repair. I tried to do a search on my topic but couldn't find it, so please help me out!

Just recently I started losing the power brakes on my 1994 4runner. First I noticed it coming to a stop, where it seemed that when the truck was in neutral (and idling) and I stepped on the brake, the truck almost started stalling out and the brake pedal became real firm. I also noticed it this morning parked in my driveway, if I stepped on the brake, the truck would again almost stall out.

Now, after a quick trip to the YMCA and back, I have no power at all to the brakes, the pedal is firm, as in no power brakes what so ever! Not good !!!

Oh I should add, all my fluid levels are good, and I replaced all the rotors and pads and bled the brakes less than two years ago.

Please advice towards my problem and the fix!

Thanks for all your help!

David

Last edited by daveydogtx; 07-07-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:33 AM

Sounds like it's the booster since the pedal stays firm even after start-up.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 AM

Any suggestions towards doing the repair or getting a part. I looked online and these are $750 from an online toyota parts. Way expensive! Can these be rebuilt, or any parts place suggestion that forum members use, or one from the junkyard (which I'd rather not do).

Is this a difficult repair itself? I did the valve cover gasket, can't imagine it being more involved than that?

Last edited by daveydogtx; 07-07-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Usually when a booster goes bad it's because the diaphragms rip, but I don't know if that can be fixed (probably not). The boosters I found online are ranging from $120 (carparts.com) to 350 (napaonline.com). $750 must be an OEM replacement.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep. I would put money on vacuum leak either in the booster or in the vacuum hose to the booster. Start by checking the hose. Much cheaper if that's the problem. If the hose looks good, you can start troubleshooting the booster to see if it's leaking.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM

OK, a couple more questions.

I checked the vacuum hose earlier, before posting, and it seems to be ok. Would the booster be making any noise when the car is running, or perhaps when the pedal is pressed, as I don't hear any.

Second question, I called up an autozone, they quoted me $250 for a booster for use with anti lock brakes. Is autozone a decent place to get a part, or is there a better national car parts place in Austin I could check? The other thing I noticed is that if I go to a genuine toyota site, they have a brake booster for abs and non-abs vehicles. Otherwise, the majority of the other online parts sites have only one model listed. Are there actually specific ones for abs equipped 4 runners. What about 4 wheel drive, does that make a difference?

When I turn the key to start the truck, the anti-lock light on the console briefly turns on. Does this mean I have anti lock brakes?

Last edited by daveydogtx; 07-07-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 AM

Good call GS I didn't even think about the hose leaking. I would test the hose by blowing some air through it to make sure it's good. That way if it is the hose you can get out of this much much cheaper.

The booster, in my experience, doesn't make any noise when it goes bad, but since it is what provides the power assistance for braking it causes a hard pedal. As if you had a vehicle with out power brakes.

Now, as far as other options for purchasing the booster, or hose if that's the case, you could try Vans Auto-parts. Sometimes they're cheaper and they almost always have better customer service. The one on Manchacca and Slaughter is closed but I think the one on S. Lamar is still open.

Where in Austin are you located?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:58 AM

Hey CC,

I live very close to the old Van's (now they are all carquest), on S Lamar and Barton Skyway, near the Alligator Grill, down in that neighborhood.

Well the one thing I primarily want to know now is if there are different boosters for abs/non-abs, as I see listed on an official toyota part sites, compared to just the single booster I see listed elsewhere.

Someone suggested a pulled one from a wreck, as opposed to buying a cheap chinese manufactured one, but I'd hate to go through all the work to discover its internal seal is bad, or goes out within a short time frame.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 AM

Question abs/non-abs booster?

Hi, I'm new here. Was this question of the difference between abs/non-abs boosters ever resolved?

I have a '95 4Runner and the brake booster has gone out. I was quoted over $700 for a new non-abs booster, so I've looked around online but generally don't see anyone making the distinction between abs & non-abs boosters. Is there a difference?

I've searched around these forums but haven't found an answer. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by JeremyK; 10-20-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to repalce one in my 1992 truck I had be prepaired to buy a brake master cylinder. That is what caused my brake booster to go bad. It was leaking brake fluid in to the brake booster. Its not real hard to change out but you will have to get in a real uncomfortable position to get to the bolts holding it to the firewall.