Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 Toyota Pickup 22RE Will not Idle

Old 09-29-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Toyota Pickup 22RE Will not Idle

I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup 4WD Manual Transmission with a 2.4L 22RE engine. The truck is having and issue where it can be difficult to start at times and once it finally does start the truck will not idle on its own most of the time. Sometimes when the truck warms up and you rev it slightly a few times it will idle properly hit the throttle a time or two and its back to starving and trying to die. The truck is still responsive and when revving the engine all seems fine. When the engine does sometimes decide to idle it idles around 900 RPM and has a stutter to it. I wouldn't say its a miss fire but its close. I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic but this truck is giving me the run around. The exhaust gases are super hot when holding your hand by the tail pipe which is making me think the truck is running lean i would like to hear your guys thoughts and opinions. I have listed some history below to let you know what i have checked so far. The CEL is not on and it doesn't appear to have any stored codes.

I bought the truck not running and it was missing some parts the following parts listed below were added due to the truck missing them

New Parts
TPS (Also adjusted and set per the FSM)
MAF
Fuel Filter
Cap/Rotor/Plugs & Wires

I have cleaned the throttle body and Idle Air Control Valve ( They both had deposits of carbon buildup blocking coolant passages and vacuum passages) (The IACV is controlled by water temperature could it be damaged and need to be replaced can it even be checked?)
I have dropped the gas tank drained all of the old fuel and checked the fuel pump it looked like someone had replaced it recently and was new.
I checked for fuel pressure at the filter and on the cold start injector. ( It seemed to have good pressure I have yet to put a guage on the system as my guage does not have a banjo adapter which this vehicle calls for.)
I have checked the timing and it is set correctly at .12 degrees advanced.
I have checked for vacuum leaks using carburetor cleaner and none were found.

Problems I know i have
Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum line is not hooked up at this time. I know with the vacuum line not plugged in it will cause increased fuel pressure but i do not think this would cause a no idle issue i could be wrong. I need a more detailed vacuum diagram before i can determine where it should actually go.

Please Help i am stumped.