Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 Toyota Pickup 22re overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Toyota Pickup 22re overheating problem

I own a 1993 Toyota Pickup SR5 witha 22re V6 3.0L engine. It currently has about 194,000 miles on it and has run fine in the past with regular maintenance. Before I bought it the guy that I bought it from had the front headgasket blow and that was replaced and with that problem he also replaced the rear headgasket also to avoid another problem like that I would guess. Then he decided to sell it because the truck was overheating and he sold it to me. I replaced the radiator and that seemed to be the problem because after that I had no more problems with overheating until now. That was 2 years ago and I had run it without a thermostat in it because I never had the time to replace it. I recently did replace the thermostat to pass emissions about 6 or 7 days ago. It passed and I have now brought it to college. Now that you know the history of this, today I was driving and my truck lost engine power. As I tried to give it gas, the engine rpms dropped low and practically gave out. Then the battery light came on and the car completely turned off to the point where the steering wheel was stiff without power steering and I could hardly turn off the road. Immediately I thought that something was wrong with the battery and/or alternator but the car turned on right away and i drove it about a quarter mile to where i live. While I was driving the belts were screeching and they had never done this before. The belts are tight too, it was the first thing I checked when I got back but on the drive back the car heated up immediately. I didn't run it long hot, i actually got it back just in time before the temp was in the red. The engine was smoking badly and it smelt like burnt rubber which i would imagine would be the belts slipping or something. As of now the truck is parked and it idles fine but the belts still screech and it also still gets hot when run for about 5 minutes and when rev'd up. I also noticed that the top radiator hose is hot as all hell but the bottom radiator hose is ice cold which makes me think the thermostat is the root of the problem since I have just replaced it and on this particular engine the thermostat operates in the bottom hose. But i still wonder where the belt problem has came from because that problems arose literally after the truck died, and I still have no idea why the battery light came on and the truck died. The whole thing really confuses me and I dont even know where to start so does anyone have any idea about what it might be and how serious it is?

Thank you for anything- Justin
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM

sounds like the water pump seized, or another pulley stopped turning causing it to stop.

take all the belts off and turn all pulleys by hand. one should be frozen, replace what it connects to.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Thank you for your help that makes alot of sense. With that said do you know why truck just shut off like that while I was driving? Maybe a computer run kind of safe mode or something?