Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 4runner 3vze Idle running issues after head gasket repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 4runner 3vze Idle running issues after head gasket repair

Okay as you can guess i really need some help here the story on truck it is a 93 4runner 3vze. Last year hg went on me so as of tue i had heads back into truck and all back together got the truck to start and after playing with the timing and thought i had her all good to go. So i get in it and go for a drive and as soon as i try and step on the gas it will only go to 2000 and peter out and also has a intermitent idle of high and right down to 500 rpm. It sounds like the truck is missing and i am not sure how i got code 14 and 41 i think 14 was from when i was pulling the wires to check if it would not change idle when one was removed i erased it and that one didnt come back but 41 did. okay now i got tps adjusted and it still wont idle proper. tried to change the cap and rotor as i thought they were worn not realizing the caps have the points so far in the plastic brand new nope again not problem. I read one guy had his a tooth off i been down that road before so i knew i had checked it 3 times before sealing it up but i took it down anyways just to rest my mind and of course was dead on. as of this morning the truck has this backfire right through the intake for w.e reason and it seems to happen when truck is coming off the rough 500 rpm idle right before it begins to climb it will back fire then run really smooth and when it gets warm it will hardly run i had the timing light on it and when i was revving the engine it would seem to retard 15 or so degrees and then advance up to 20 25 when i know it should advance to 35 40 degrees i am at a loss and so fed up after 4 full days of working on it somebody please help me
Old 08-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you distributor is still off, that is why it is backfiring. The FSM says 10* BTDC IIRC, is that what you are set at? Also, check all of your vacuum lines, they will cause a high idle/missing condition. Unlit propane torch or carb cleaner around the vacuum lines will indicate a leak if the idle changes.

41 is your TPS sensor, are you sure it is good? May also be part of your problem.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:04 PM
RSR

MrMech -- Not be a grammar ahole, but if you actually use punctuation and separate it into sentences it really helps those of us who would like to be of assistance to understand your problem(s) so that we can help you...

Here's what I think you're saying (do note, I will not be translating your future posts; and I am only parsing your word vomit out so that I can understand it...):

Okay as you can guess i really need some help.
Here's the story on truck. It is a 93 4runner 3vze.

Last year hg went on me. So as of Tuesday, I had heads back into truck and all back together. I got the truck to start and after playing with the timing, I thought had her all good to go.

So i get in it and go for a drive. And as soon as i try and step on the gas, it will only go to 2000 and peter out. It also has a intermittent idle of high and right down to 500 rpm.

It sounds like the truck is missing, and i am not sure how.
I got code 14 and 41. I think 14 was from when i was pulling the wires to check if it would not change idle when one was removed. I erased those codes and code 14 didnt come back but 41 did.

Okay, now i got tps adjusted and it still wont idle proper. I tried to change the cap and rotor as i thought they were worn not realizing the caps have the points so far in the plastic brand new. Nope, again not the problem.

I read one guy had his distributor a tooth off. I've been down that road before so i knew i had checked it 3 times before sealing it up but i took it down anyways just to rest my mind and of course was dead on.

As of this morning the truck has this backfire right through the intake for whatever reason, and it seems to happen when truck is coming off the rough 500 rpm idle right before it begins to climb. It will back fire, then run really smooth. When it gets warm it will hardly run. I had the timing light on it and when i was revving the engine it would seem to retard 15 or so degrees and then advance up to 20-25, when i know it should advance to 35-40 degrees

I am at a loss and so fed up after 4 full days of working on it. Somebody please help me!

Last edited by RSR; 08-24-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:21 PM
RSR

My thoughts:
-Are you sure your timing belt is installed properly?
-Are you sure that you plugged all sensors back in?
-Are you sure that all of your vacuum hoses are connected properly?
-A base idle of 500 seems too low. Mine's usually around 700 or so at the lowest...
-Have you checked to ensure that all of your sensors are w/in spec? Air, fuel, and spark w/ a multimeter?
-Have you checked to ensure that there are no clogs/corrosion in the hoses/pipes that run through the bottom of your throttle body and to your temp sensors at back of engine? Sitting that long, you could have had some corrosion in your coolant system causing clogs throughout. A pressured flush wouldn't hurt...
-With your truck sitting that long, wiring corrosion could have happened too...
-And have you also inspected your truck for devious gremlins, mice, and smurfs? All have been know to do all sorts of dastardly mischief sometimes appearing to be just a wiring or coolant issue.

Last edited by RSR; 08-24-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:14 PM

I think RSR is right. Definitely smurfs.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM

Okay guys I have just got back took a break its been killing me. Sorry the gramer will admit I was not the best English student but will try my best.

First it was not the dist i figured to be off but the timing belt so i have checked and rechecked that it was alright, All of the sensors are back in place.

I broke the tvv so i plugged it on intake side and I also lost a hose for the egr??? I think that is what the hose is for it comes from underneath the intake man and supposed to plug in on pass side vac line i have plugged the intake hole is this a problem?

I have done the propane tank test and found no jump in idle signifying a vac leak. Intake man hose was clear that runs under throttle body unsure of the coolant lines in behind the intake man but will check.

I have the intake man off at this point and will go over the tps once again to double check but am unsure how exactly to test the wiring and stuff with a volt meter will try and figure out how to check spec on other sensors. There was sign of a mouse being in or around the truck where and what should i be looking for mainly?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
firing order or tps is bad. unhook the tps see if it changes.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM

I have unhooked it and it idles right up and seems to be fine all of the sudden. I tried to adjust the timing with it off and then drive it like someone had said they did and all it did was throw cel all the time but it would not work. I talked to a guy at a toyota shop he sold me a tps for 20 and said its not ur problem i put it on and adjusted it but will double check specs. i unplugged new tps and still everything improved but it should not be faulty the guy said he laughed when i asked for tps and said 1 in 1000 will go.

I have the tps infront of me and will put it to spec aswell as check thea resistance on all the injectors before i put intake back on. I had an intake gasket with my head kit but it was ripped in the box guy at machine shop said just put a dab of glue on it but by now after taking it apart twice it is ripped to shreds. Anything i can use in place of this tomorrow am if there is not one in stock?

Is there anything else i should check while im at this point?

Thanks alot for the suggestions
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by mrmech
I have unhooked it and it idles right up and seems to be fine all of the sudden. I tried to adjust the timing with it off and then drive it like someone had said they did and all it did was throw cel all the time but it would not work. I talked to a guy at a toyota shop he sold me a tps for 20 and said its not ur problem i put it on and adjusted it but will double check specs. i unplugged new tps and still everything improved but it should not be faulty the guy said he laughed when i asked for tps and said 1 in 1000 will go.

I have the tps infront of me and will put it to spec aswell as check thea resistance on all the injectors before i put intake back on. I had an intake gasket with my head kit but it was ripped in the box guy at machine shop said just put a dab of glue on it but by now after taking it apart twice it is ripped to shreds. Anything i can use in place of this tomorrow am if there is not one in stock?

Is there anything else i should check while im at this point?

Thanks alot for the suggestions
dude... seriously, is your machine shop dude on crack? buy a new gasket. As soon as you saw that tear that should have been an automatic run to the parts store. Some gaskets you can get away with that for a short time as a band aid fix, but an intake gasket? no way. No matter how good you glue it, it will not seal as well as the gasket by itself, and possibly leak vacuum in the process.

Also, only adjust your timing with the TPS hooked up, its meant to run that way. I know it runs better with it off, but you need to figure out the root cause, not work around it like that.

Last edited by jb451; 08-24-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 AM

Not sure if you already have the resistance values, but here on pg 3 are the values for the various positions of the the throttle, and what pins to test at.

http://www.lcengineering.com/LCTechP...Adjustment.pdf
Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 AM

yes i went over tps last night but when i do the sweep test it doesnt seem to work right. And the afm tests out except the one that says zero says .003 is that still 0.0? Willl get new gasket thnks alot
Old 08-25-2013, 12:37 PM

Hey guys the little green tips on a few of my injectors are broken but they were not leaking do i need to replace these?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:30 PM
RSR

Your injectors are likely fine, though possibly clogged... How old is your gas?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM
RSR

Fix your TVV https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ix-pics-84460/ or replace it.

Also, that might explain the difference in running between hot and cold -- the TVV controls the EGR and your engine is expecting a different air ratio than it's getting when hot and at higher, when the exhaust gas recirculation begins/should occur... http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...18egrsyste.pdf

(That last link has the entire FSM too btw.)
Old 08-25-2013, 06:16 PM

i added 20 bucks to the tank the other day this truck is getting the best of me and really trying my patience. Will fix the tvv and rehook after I put everything back together truck wouldnt fire omfg
Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 PM

"wouldn't fire" as in it wont crank at all, or it just wont start?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Its cranking but not getting fuel now for what ever reason tank does not say empty but will add more fuel and tear down to fix the tvv. Im really at a loss for whats going on with the truck.

Can the truck still start adjust and run smooth for some part of the time if the timing were off a tooth or out 180? It seems to me that would not be possible which is why I do not think the dizzy could be out please correct me if I am wrong on this.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Not getting any fuel now just going over fuel system could this have been the issue the whole time?

The truck had some of these symptoms when it ran before the hg went so I do not think it is from the tvv just wanna figure the fuel problem out before I go to parts store.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Okay i think i have got this damn truck almost sorted it seems to drive along now but is a bit slow switching gears. The one thing I can not figure out is why it will not idle now its at about a 250 idle but runs when warm and seems to have throttle again except under load it doesnt really go right away just more or less keeps going in no way fast.

It was the fuel filter it was so clogged after i could not get fuel again and then out of nowhere it was there after a while I figured it was dirty.

Last edited by mrmech; 08-26-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Went for a drive and it died same sympotms low idle backfires then stalls restart it and it seems fine revs up smooth then let off the pedal and it will still idle at 250 till stalling.

Very stressful dont even know what to try anymore

Quick Reply: 93 4runner 3vze Idle running issues after head gasket repair