86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 3vze couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 3vze couple questions

hello all i've got a few questions regarding my 93 sr5 4x4 3.0...
and the story goes; i did a timing belt/waterpump replacement along with a tune up and now have gotten my rig running. since then i was checking radiator fluid because it was low when i began my process, So, now that i been checking my fluids and i noticed that my coolant is not flowing through the radiator along with steam coming out of the top when i take the cap off.
Now this leads me to believe that my thermostat is not working properly..or i just may have not installed it correctly.
can anyone tell me which way it is supposed to sit in its housing when being installed?
i have also thought of running my rig without the thermostat for free flowing coolant...
can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of doing so?

Now to my other question...when my rig is running, and i turn on anything electrical for example the heater, my rpms jump up about 200 rpms from idle and then when i turn a load back off the rpms go down to around 600rpms like a low idle almost like its wanting to die. does anyone know why?
i dont understand why it would do that, because it has new belts(tesnioned properly) and i would more likely expect my rpms to drop with an electrical load rather than jump up..any insight is helpful.
this may be pointless information but the only electrical work i have done to this rig is wire my amp up and hook it up to 2 12'' subs.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 AM

The thermostat is installed taper toward front of truck and jiggle valve in 12 oclock position.Also when your topping it off with coolant I like to lift the front end disconnect the upper rad hose,fill the radiator then continue filling the engine block through the top rad hose when both are full reconnect.That should eliminate any air in the system.I know one dissadvantage of running without a thermostat is you will have no heat.Plus Im sure there are a plethora of heat sensors that require your engine to be running at least at an optimal temp.I dont know anything about your electrical problems sorry.But Im sure it wont take long for Mudhippy to help you out here.That guy is the Maharashi of 3.0's.Good luck.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You're taking the radiator cap off with the engine hot??

Has the engine overheated (gauge) at all?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
You're taking the radiator cap off with the engine hot??

Has the engine overheated (gauge) at all?
Yes I am, well, more like after it's cooling down for 10-15min. When I take it off I do take precaution and it has not sprayed any coolant out so far.
What is the normal operating temperature? The longest it's been driven is 10-15min and it gets to halfway and sits there.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Roofmaster
The thermostat is installed taper toward front of truck and jiggle valve in 12 oclock position.Also when your topping it off with coolant I like to lift the front end disconnect the upper rad hose,fill the radiator then continue filling the engine block through the top rad hose when both are full reconnect.That should eliminate any air in the system.I know one dissadvantage of running without a thermostat is you will have no heat.Plus Im sure there are a plethora of heat sensors that require your engine to be running at least at an optimal temp.I dont know anything about your electrical problems sorry.But Im sure it wont take long for Mudhippy to help you out here.That guy is the Maharashi of 3.0's.Good luck.
Thank you, I had never thought of doing that to eliminate air.+1
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 AM

Thank you, I had never thought of doing that to eliminate air.+1
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jreyes94
can anyone tell me which way it is supposed to sit in its housing when being installed?

Now to my other question...when my rig is running, and i turn on anything electrical for example the heater, my rpms jump up about 200 rpms from idle and then when i turn a load back off the rpms go down to around 600rpms like a low idle almost like its wanting to die. does anyone know why?
1. For the thermostat installation details see here http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...10thermost.pdf

2. Sounds like the IC(Voltage) regulator, for the details on that see here http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../charging.html

3. For the 93 FSM in full see here http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

4. The needle @ ½ on the temp gauge is about as high as it normally gets(under most circumstances).

That guy is the Maharashi of 3.0's.
Maybe so. But I'd rather be known as the Musashi of 3VZ-Es.

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-09-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 PM

Jreyes94 thank yotatech.Im just passing information on that Ive learned here and applied.Glad to earn my keep passing it on.And Mudhippy,Miyamoto Musashi of 3vze it is.Wakalimaska.