86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 22re warm start trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 22re warm start trouble

I have a 93 pu 4wd with a 22re and it doesn't want to start right away when warm. I can crank it for 10 seconds and it won't start, once I stop and try again it starts. In the morning when the engine is cold, it starts right up.

Here is a few things I have done or noticed when it might have started having trouble. I have a exhaust manifold gasket leak, I run seafoam through the engine per seafoam istructions and I have adjusted the TPS. Don't know if any individual item or all of these thing might be the trouble.

Other than the starting problem the truck runs great, I have been getting around 20 mpg average city/hwy, so I can't complain about that.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Last edited by spacoli; 08-13-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
most of the 'warm start' problems I've come across are caused by people not adjusting idle and timing on a warm engine, or from vacuum leaks.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Gotta agree with abe there... Just out of curiosity, what's your idle at cold and warm?

Only other thing I can think of is an AFM issue non wanting to send the signal to kick the pump on... but usually then the truck at least starts for a sec and then shuts back off...

Have you narrowed it down to spark or fuel? Try the same proceedure, but just before trying to start the truck after it's warm, give a quick shot of started fluid into the TB. If she kicks over, the fuel's not kicking on for some reason. If it doesn't kick right over after the starter fluid, well then for some reason it's not sparking right away; may be the igniter or coil possibly...
Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 PM

I agree with the above.Mine ended up being a deffective cat converter.Clogged ut this was also from a bosch 02 sensor that was sending a bd signal.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
regardless, when you turn the key on, the 'circuit opening relay' should run the fuel pump for a few seconds to pre-charge the fuel lines. after that, it becomes the responsibility of the AFM to respond to the airflow drawn by the engine to determine whether or not the fuel pump needs turned on and does so by closing the 'circuit opening relay'.

So if cold starts aren't a problem, it would appear that turning the key on is doing what it's supposed to do, and giving the cold start injector the fuel it needs.

One thing I can suggest is, and by doing so I am not suggesting you are doing it, but just in case.... do not press on the gas pedal AT ALL when starting your engine, cold or warm... and see how it goes.
One thing I have seen is people who are used to carb'd engines treating an FI engine the same way. Fuel injection does not require you to do anything- there is no choke to close. And pressing on the pedal while trying to start the engine confuses the ECU into injecting fuel that it shouldn't and can flood the engine.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-13-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:09 PM

I have the exact same problem with my rebuilt 3.0. My idle is quite low so I'll try the ideas you just posted. I did some searching before and figured that a bad coolant temp sensor might be the cause as well. Is this possible?

Jason
Old 04-16-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the solution?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:37 PM

fuel pump connecting hose replacement

I fixed the same problem in my 88 22re. Maybe the two trucks have the same solution:
  1. Carefully drain fuel. Pull the fuel tank. Pull the fuel pump.
  2. Replace the little hose between the fuel pump and the steel tubing connecting the fuel tank to the fuel filter. I used fuel injection hose. Maybe Toyota has a better hose or something.
  3. Reinstall fuel tank.
You might want to pull the bed instead of dropping the fuel tank.

My hose was hard and brittle and had cracks. The hose is about 1" or 2" long. I figured the engine injectors would get hot and force the fuel back into the fuel tank after turning off the motor and causing hard starting after a few minutes. After the engine was cool the fuel would return and be ready to start the engine. The pump was probably spraying fuel all over the inside of the fuel tank when running. The fuel pump has a valve to keep pressure up when the fuel pump is turned off except that is beyond the leak so the fuel would drain from the engine.

The fuel pump on my truck would not begin to work until the key was in the start position. I hooked up a pushbutton to energize the fuel pump before turning the key until finally pulling the tank and replacing the 5 cent hose.

EDIT: Use extreme caution when working on the fuel tank. Do not work in an enclosed area because of the fumes and the possibility of a fire. Do not work in an area with an open flame like a pilot light or cigarette lighter because that can ignite the fuel or the fumes. Do not spill the fuel. Quit smoking. Do not die. Be very careful.

Last edited by stock88pickup22re; 04-16-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Mine is carbed, I would think same potential problem?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM

my truck will start up when cold every day. but if i drive it for over about 15 20 min then when i turn it off and attempt to turn it back on, it turns over but wont start. ive been looking a long time for the answer and changed the starter since someone told me it could have been the coils in it were to worn to work with high heat. im going to be installing a new fuel pump as this has been the most popular answer that i have gotten and i guess its worth a shot. ill let you know when i change it and see if it solves the problem or not.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 AM

Let us know how the fuel pump turns out?