Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'92 Pickup Warning Buzzer Everytime I Open The Door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'92 Pickup Warning Buzzer Everytime I Open The Door?

I've had this truck since January and it just started doing this a couple days ago. I don't think this truck buzzes if you leave your headlights on (at least it's never done that before), and my headlights weren't on anyway.. but when I shut off the truck and open the door, the buzzer goes off until I shut the door.

If I leave the door open, the buzzer will keep going after I start the truck, but it will stop when the seat belt indicator light goes off. If I turn off the truck and remove the key (with the door still open) the buzzer will go off again. I'm not sure why the seat belt buzzer would be going off when the truck is shut off.. but that's the only thing I can think of that buzzes on this truck. Or maybe my ignition isn't registering that I took the key out? I'm not sure if it buzzes if you leave your keys in the ignition and try to open the door.. I don't remember trying it before.. but now it buzzes when I open the door no matter what.

It's not that big of a deal I guess.. it only buzzes when I'm getting in and out.. but it's got me curious.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine will buzz with key in ignition and door open. Otherwise, it wont. I would say maybe the switch that closes when your key is in the ignition is stuck? Can't think of much else. I wish mine would buzz with lights on, key off...I swear it used to...
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man the buzzer in my toyota was so more annoying than any other buzzer in a vehical I have owned I disabled mine the next day after I bought the truck.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
My ('94, SR5) will buzz if you leave the lights on and open the door, and it has a different buzz for key-left-in and open door. (different again for seat-belt). As combatcarl suggests, you may have a bad switch that senses key-left-in.

Each to his own, but I've left the lights on in a car I was borrowing (I have the lights on all the time when I'm driving) due to a bad door-switch. That will really make you appreciate a buzzer!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I feel the same way that maybe the keyswitch is stuck. I show how I disable my buzzer on my 88 runner build. It is listed on the first page. If you remove the buzzer box, it usually will stop the dome light from operating as the circuit goes thru the buzzer box.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I Just replaced the key cylinder in my 95 4runner. I had the same problem after installing the new ignition key-lock cylinder. What it turned out to be was the small switch that sits inside the key cylinder casing. The switch is only supposed to be activated when the key is slid into the ignition.

In my situation, the new key lock was causing the switch to be active at odd times. (like when the door was open without a key in...but not always) To remedy this, all I had to do was remove the ignition key-lock cylinder, and file about 1/32" off of the metal lever that is supposed to press onto the switch. This immediately solved the problem.

Note, the switch is 'active' when depressed, causing the buzz.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 AM

I know u have no desire to remove your buzzer but this may help someone else.what I did was unsnap the buzzer box and remove the metal disk in there that vibrates and makes the sound snapped it all back together and reinstalled and dome light and everything still function no prob
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
AFAIK, there are 2 kinds of relays that have buzzers(some vehicles have one, the other, or both).

One is called a Seat Belt Warning Relay in the EPC or EWD(despite the word BUZZER on the front of the housing, and the fact that it buzzes for other reasons). It buzzes when:
  • the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open(Unlock Warning S/W is ON)
  • the driver's seat belt is unbuckled and the key is in the ignition(Unlock Warning S/W is ON & Buckle S/W is ON(OFF = buckled))

The other buzzer is called a Light Reminder Relay. AFAIK(since my vehicle doesn't have one), it buzzes when:
  • the headlights/parking lights are ON and the driver's door is open
  • the dome light switch is in the always ON position(as apposed to the ON when door is open, or OFF positions) and the driver's door is open

AFAIK, 90 and later models only have a Light Reminder Relay. But it also serves as the Seat Belt Warning Relay. Also AFAIK, 89 and earlier models(that have them) have a Light Reminder Relay that doesn't have a buzzer. Because it's wired to the buzzer in the Seat Belt Warning Relay. And some 89 and earlier models(like my 88) only have a Seat Belt Warning Relay(which obviously doesn't buzz if any lights are left on).

Here's my verison of how to delete the buzzer part of the Seat Belt Warning Relay.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51637488

Here's one I found the other day, that I also found rather amusing.
http://www.siestaoffroad.com/buzzerkill.html

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-17-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
My ('94, SR5) will buzz if you leave the lights on and open the door, and it has a different buzz for key-left-in and open door. (different again for seat-belt). As combatcarl suggests, you may have a bad switch that senses key-left-in.

Each to his own, but I've left the lights on in a car I was borrowing (I have the lights on all the time when I'm driving) due to a bad door-switch. That will really make you appreciate a buzzer!
HAHA, I was going to try to remove this until I read your post! Heh, I'm choosing to leave this in now! Haha, thanx for the heads up. (I have left the lights on too & the buzzer saved me!)