Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'92 Pickup v6 Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'92 Pickup v6 Coolant Leak

I am not too knowledgable about my 3VZE and am looking for help diagnosing my problem.

Here is what I know:

-When cold, the oil on my dipstick is "bubbly". Goes away after warming up.
-I saw some coolant leaking out of the running motor, towards the back of the motor (I cannot locate the source of the leak)

I am not sure it its related, but I am also hearing a whirring noise that I believe could be my clutch release bearing.

What the hell is going on?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Coolant Leak??

1.) Is the oil clear, dark, or chocolate milk color???
2.) High mileage 3.0 V6 motors have a tendency to blow the head gasket on the back driver side of the block. If the gasket is shot, and any coolant gets down into the crankcase it will turn the motor oil a light tan chocolate color.
It is time for a clean rebuild.
3.) Whirring noise could be anything, maybe you got the heater fan on???

Art.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ZARTT
2.) High mileage 3.0 V6 motors have a tendency to blow the head gasket on the back driver side of the block. If the gasket is shot, and any coolant gets down into the crankcase it will turn the motor oil a light tan chocolate color.

Art.
Before crying wolf on a blown HG, I'd check the little U-shaped bypass hose on the passenger side, immediately under the back side of the plenum. It's a common leak point for coolant back there.

REMOVE THE HOOD & you're life will be a lot easier. 4 bolts & 5 minutes you'll be a happy camper. Piece of cake to reinstall.

I agree with the "milkshake" advice. If it seems fine after warmup, I'd tend to discount that concern. As long as it's clear (if not black), I wouldn't think HG.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 01-31-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
All sorts of leak points with the 3vze. Follow the advice the fromer posters have given. Always look for for the easy stuff first. I know on my last head gasket repair, it was due to a failure at the far outer rear corner of the passenger side head. It would seep out coolant little by little, but got to the point it would drain the coolant system in a manner of days. In my case I never had any problems with coolant leaking into the oil, so never got the milkshake.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ZARTT

Art.

1) The oil was dark. I changed it immediately when I saw the bubbles, so now its clean looking oil with the same bubbles when cold. No chocolate milk color, but i'll look out for that...

2) Thanks, I hope its not my HG.

Wouldnt a head gasket leak be fairly leaky? I saw maybe a shot of coolant leaking out under the motor and then it stopped.

I will do some work on this today and see if I can post up some pics too.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Andy A
All sorts of leak points with the 3vze. Follow the advice the fromer posters have given. Always look for for the easy stuff first. I know on my last head gasket repair, it was due to a failure at the far outer rear corner of the passenger side head. It would seep out coolant little by little, but got to the point it would drain the coolant system in a manner of days. In my case I never had any problems with coolant leaking into the oil, so never got the milkshake.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I do have a HG leak, that is getting worse? I did notice the coolant leak on the ground before, but never bubbles in the oil before.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by California
Thanks for the info. Perhaps I do have a HG leak, that is getting worse? I did notice the coolant leak on the ground before, but never bubbles in the oil before.
Typically (and I say typically but not always) if it's leaking on the ground it's not a head gasket. HG leaks usually result in coolant in your oil and it disappears out the back through the tailpipe in the form of white "smoke". If you have coolant on the ground it's probably something else.

Check your radiator and hoses/clamps before you dive into something more serious

EDIT: sorry just re-read and saw it was at the back of the engine. definitely check out the coolant bypass hose.

Last edited by DetroitStyle; 01-31-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM

OK, so I have still not figured out this leak. I have no clue where its coming from I took the below video to see if anyone else might have an idea...Sorry about the shakiness of the video, it was hard to aim the flashlight and the camera in the same spot.

This only happens when the radiator has been filled to the cap & the overflow reservoir is filled to the "low" mark when cold.

The leak is dripping from the transmission, but the source of the leak is hidden.

http://youtu.be/1rHRH677ebA

Any thoughts?

Last edited by California; 02-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it was a 4runner, I'd say check the rear heat lines... buuut... I would let it sit for a bit (overnight) then have a friend start it up while you are looking underneath. Pay close attention and try to narrow down where the leak is coming from.

Again, take a REALLY close look at the back of your engine. The little upside down U-shaped coolant hose likes to develop pinhole leaks. I couldn't see mine during the day for about a week after it developed... to thin a stream of coolant blasting horizontally off the back of the block. Eventually it got thicker, and I caught it in a flashlight beam to identify it. Pain in the ass, but not too tricky.

The whirring noise, was it evident in the video? Your 3VZE sounds a bit laboured, but I didn't hear a release bearing going out. Usually they start whining at you when you press the clutch, and stop when it is engaged. Eventually it gets bad enough to be whining all the time.

Sorry, I don't know what causes bubbles in the oil. Does it hesitate when driving? What oil are you running, and when was it last changed?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
AT the back of the lower intake manifold plenum. There is a part of the maifold that holds some coolant sensors and has a small hose or two on it. There is one hose in the video that the clamp is not properly sitting. Its the u shaped hose. The clamp needs to be moved lower down as it doesn't look like its clamping anything.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by bmcghie
If it was a 4runner, I'd say check the rear heat lines... buuut... I would let it sit for a bit (overnight) then have a friend start it up while you are looking underneath. Pay close attention and try to narrow down where the leak is coming from.

1) Again, take a REALLY close look at the back of your engine. The little upside down U-shaped coolant hose likes to develop pinhole leaks. I couldn't see mine during the day for about a week after it developed... to thin a stream of coolant blasting horizontally off the back of the block. Eventually it got thicker, and I caught it in a flashlight beam to identify it. Pain in the ass, but not too tricky.

2) The whirring noise, was it evident in the video? Your 3VZE sounds a bit laboured, but I didn't hear a release bearing going out. Usually they start whining at you when you press the clutch, and stop when it is engaged. Eventually it gets bad enough to be whining all the time.

3) Sorry, I don't know what causes bubbles in the oil. Does it hesitate when driving? What oil are you running, and when was it last changed?
Thanks for your input. I took the hood off like TMRabbit suggested - VERY HELPFUL, thanks! I keep removing/attaching it as I work on this issue, its simple fast and easy.

1) I'll try to see if I can watch the leak as it develops, thats a good idea...I only notice the leak once its established, like in the video.

2) I am going to post this clutch noise up on another thread.

3)I use normal oil every 3k miles. currently using castrol/purolator filter.

Originally Posted by vital22re
AT the back of the lower intake manifold plenum. There is a part of the maifold that holds some coolant sensors and has a small hose or two on it. There is one hose in the video that the clamp is not properly sitting. Its the u shaped hose. The clamp needs to be moved lower down as it doesn't look like its clamping anything.
I see what you mean! Ill check that clamp out tomorrow. I cant believe I see it in the video, but never when i was looking in person...

Regardless, I checked that U-hose thoroughly after TNRabbit suggested it...bone dry.

I will check it again tomorrow and let you guys know. I took some pics of my oil too, so ill post those tomorrow too.

Last edited by California; 02-11-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Rent a cooling system pressure tester from the local auto parts, and pressurize your cooling system to 13lbs. Look for the leak, and watch to see if the pressure drops on the tester gauge. Usually you can find the leak(s) within a minute or two after cranking the pressure up, and 99% of the time, it is the a fore mentioned upside down U shaped bypass hose on the rear pod below the intake manifold.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM

There is a coolant return tube that runs under the intake manifold and connects to the block near the front. When it leaks the valley fills up with coolant and it runs down the tranny. A quick check for this is to park the truck on a hill with the front end up and see if a lot of coolant starts running out.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I don't think I can help with the cooling issue much. Or the oil. :/

One more thing though... does your clutch "whirring" noise disappear if you depress the pedal and hold for several seconds, say 10 or so? The transmission input shaft is supposed to come to a stop after 9 seconds if the clutch is fully disengaging... so if your noise disappears that should point to pilot bearing, tranny input bearing, or some other tranny piece. :s

Conversely, if the noise continues, chances are high that those aforementioned components are fine. Hey, it'll only take a minute to check!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you ever figure out your leak?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I was wondering also, did you see that hose clamp that was about half way up the u-shaped by pass hose in the video?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM

Yep, i fiddled with that u-hose and re-seated the clamp and I've had no issues. I cant believe I didnt notice that the clamp was seated so high before. Its a really awkward part to work on with no space in there.

Eventually I got it done and its been great ever since. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

So, you guys probably saw the green coolant. should I do a flush and switch to Red? I've read that the newer green coolants are ok now, but i dont know what to trust.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You will find a wide range of opinions on coolant choice. IMO I would use Toyota red. When I bought my rig in 2011 I did the TB and all the goodies that pertained and most of all got rid of the green coolant. Just thought it was better way to go being its a 3vzzze.Glad you found the problem and fixed it. I just changed my 2 weeks ago took the hood off, made it alot easier. Good luck with it.

Last edited by ksti; 03-02-2012 at 08:23 PM.