86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 IFS "walking/binding" when driving up incline

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 IFS "walking/binding" when driving up incline

I have a 92 22RE 4X4 EXT CAB LWB w/ a 94 W56. I installed the W56 a few days ago and I drove it to work and back in 4H with the rear driveshaft removed. Everything was smooth on the ride into work. The issues arose on the way home when I made a right turn from a stop on an incline. The truck felt as though I drove over a rock, log, or small curb. It was enough that I looked in the rearview to see if I ran something over. When I got home while driving up my driveway which has a steeper incline, the truck felt like it was "walking" up the driveway. As if the wheels were binding and releasing opposite of the other. The next morning while driving on flat land, I could hear a squealing sound coming from the front end. The truck would jerk to the left and right as if the ball joints are bad. I suspect the CV halfshafts because one of the boots is torn and has been for some time. The flatland jerking left and right is confusing though and I'm unsure. I don't run 4wheel very often and none of these symptoms were present with the previous transmission and rear driveshaft installed. I searched for some similar issues in the forums and found one that sounds very close to my issue. The main differences are that it is a 4Runner with auto hubs if I read correctly. It does not however isolate my issue. I linked it below. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...90/index2.html
Old 10-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
got a locker up front?
Old 10-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Yes, Aisin locking hubs
Old 10-27-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(re reads the post)

OH - Aisin AUTO hubs

To test - jack up the front end
jack stand (safety!)
See if you can turn the wheel w/o the shaft turning.

My guess is that the auto hubs are stuck ON

Even so, if the transfer case is in 2WD (and NOT 4WD Hight), it should not matter unless you have a front locker
Old 10-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
got a locker up front?
Originally Posted by 92PUP
Yes, Aisin locking hubs
i know you have aisin locking hubs
I asked if you have a locker, as in detroit, lockright, aussie. etc
My Trekker had lockers in both front and rear differentials, I lost my rear driveshaft and had to drive home in front wheel drive, the tires would bind on dry pavement due to both tires turning at the same rate.
plus driving in 4wd (or front wheel drive, even with an open diff) on drive pavement will cause similar binding to what you described.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:55 PM

My mistake, can you tell that I'm a novice? I do not think that I have a Detroit locker. I am not the original owner so I can't say for sure. I will investigate and let you know. I'm curious as to why the morning ride went so smooth. I would have expected the binding to have occurred while turning on flat land.